O3 FL Headlights

I had no chance to drive my colleague's FL but I checked the main and high beam at night when stationary.

They looked noticeably brighter than my xenons (I have 45 W 'tuning' ballasts) and the beam is much wider and solid.

The color temperature is closer to 5000 Kelvin I think.

AFS does only hight adjustment so the lights doesn't turn left and right like the bi-xenons. But that's really not neccessary with such light output.

There's an extra LED in the headlamp for city mode to illuminate the side of the road.

Videos on drive2.ru: link

• Like 4

Is there any chance you could take side by side pictures for comparison? I have seen a couple of FLs but was less impressed, compared to a Passat with LEDs it seemed the Octavia headlights were no match. I was driving a Polo with LEDs (a more basic system, without any focusing lens) and could not see any advantage in the Octavia when side by side; I would have expected the lens in the Octavia to offer a better beam distribution but could not notice it. This said, the cars were moving in well lit areas so maybe conclusions should not be made. So, could you team up to take any photos?

13 hours ago, Jcbl2 said:

They are extremely bright. In auto mode with the main headlights on, other drivers flash you assuming you have full beam on. Full beam looks like something out of the X Files.

Sounds irritating for them and you?

On 6/10/2017 at 14:27, Keith64 said:

I have a question for anyone with a new O3FL that has the LED Headlights.  Are they any good? And what does the AFS do for them?

Dunno about the fogs but, I was chatting to a customer with a 1.4TSI SE L having changed from a vRS TDI & he said the new LED lights were MUCH brighter & longer than the vRS bi-xoens 

• Like 1

Concerns are beginning to be expressed about the effects of modern artificial lights on long term eyesight health.

The wavelengths and brightness of led, laser, even good old indoor fluoro tubes are damaging on certain cells.

We are obviously adapted to sunlight and kids who are not exposed to enough sunlight are prone to short-sightedness which is an increasing in epidemic proportions as kids stay inside and spend more time on computers or watching tv.

Note it is not the time in front of a screen that is the problem but not getting exposure to sunlight for a couple of hours a day.

The investigations into eye problems include bright vehicle lights but it will be awhile before any conclusions are reached.

• Like 1