Deposit put down on a Blackline!

Happy to say I've put a deposit down on a 62 plate CR170 vRS Blackline in Black Magic Pearl with 48k on the clock from a performance car dealer who have given me a good price on my Fiesta ST.

There are a couple of issues that need to be looked at, the trip button doesn't appear to work and the car keeps searching for a paired phone preventing any other info being displayed so could be related. We didn't notice this on another vRS they had available.

The gear knob is worn and could do with being replaced, any advise on the best way to go about this would be appreciated.

I forgot to mention at the time that the oil filler cap was quite dirty but it is sat in a recess that could attract dirt and depending on how OCD the previous owner was when it came to cleaning it, it may have just been overlooked over time and built up.

I'll keep an eye out for it when I go to collect as it'll have had a service, MOT and valet with the Cambelt and Waterpump being replaced.

Cosmetically, for a 5 year old car it's in great condition. Coming from having owned my last 2 cars from new I've had to lower my expectations some what when it comes to small marks on seats, paint or the wheels, the majority of which are being addressed by the dealer.

Other than that i've ordered myself some black mats with red trim and vRS logo from Ambassador Car Mats as non were supplied. Should set the interior off nicely!

I'll update with some pictures shortly!

Congrats, get a pic up when you can.

Wouldn't worry about the mucky filler cap, mine is the same - I usually leave the engine bays alone on my cars but I know some people are very OCD about keeping them clean! 

When I got my scout I went for new gear knob and new steering wheel. Relatively small mods but go a long way to making the car your own. I got the garage to change them  for me though. My scout is also black and looks great when cleaned up!

@Timmyboy That's good to hear, it just looks as if the cap has been placed wet side down and picked up some dirt. I do have OCD when it comes to cleanliness but don't go mad under the bonnet.

@Sarge Is there a guide to installing the Mk3 gearknob? The gaiter is in pretty good condition, it's just the top that needs replacing. I've found a complete replacement that I'll get on order if I don't go for the Mk3 one.

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/octavia-vrs-gear-knob-with-cover-2009-2013-50468

Not sure if a mk3 knob will fit as I stuck with a mk2 one. I'm sure there's somewhere on here that describes how to fit it and others have done it themselves. I may have the instructions from when I had mine done. I'll look them out tonight. If you need any of the clips/ fittings let me know as I have some brand new ones spare. Will be happy to send them on. 

@Gissin

How can I tell if the phone kit is installed? Phones have previously been connected to the Bluetooth but I haven't seen any mics etc.

It'd be a bonus if it were to have it!

The seller said that they would address any issues including the trip stalk/Bluetooth.

i assume it's showing on the maxidot that it's trying to pair with a phone, that would usually mean there is a phone kit as the option or function to look for a phone just isn't there without it - mics are usually put in the interior light area where the sunglasses holder is but can be put in the top corners of the pilar or elsewhere.

what unit is in it, bolero, Columbus etc

@Gissin

It has the Amundsen+ unit. I didn't notice any mics. As soon as the ignition was on it began searching for a paired phone, it may be because of this that the trip computer wasn't able to scroll. Probably just needs a factory reset by removing the battery like you said.

The wear on the gearknob isnt that bad, the numbering is darker than other models I've seen but it's just the slight wear around the Crome on the leather.

hmm interesting you'll have to see once you go back to the car had it look it the unit has bt audio on the screen anywhere if it doesn't this thread could be useful:

yeah maybe someone who just liked to keep their hand on their knob :D mine at 80k has no wear at all on the gearstick. maybe im just lucky ;)

• Like 1

@Baileydog Haha! 

I pick the car up next Saturday so weather permitting I'll get some photos up then.

I chose this over a car from a main dealer as I was being messed around with appointments/responses to queries.

These guys offered me a years RAC Platinum warranty and a good price on my Fiesta (as opposed to a main dealer who would have offered me a rock bottom price before sending it to auction) however I've since read that RAC warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

Has anybody had any experience with this type of warranty? Maybe I'm expecting too much as I've been used to buying new.

Edited by CookieMonster87
  • Like 1

Cannot comment on RAC policies as I've never used them. You could try Warranty Wise. I've taken out 2 X 3 year policies with them. 

I had to make a claim in my final month of my first policy as the EGR Cooler and rear diff went, which they covered no problem. The claims process is a bit drawn out, but it did save me forking out the (IIRC) £1100-1200 charged by Škoda. 

The policy cost me around £800, so I was £300-400 up. 

I chose WW as Warranty Direct were initially charging £300 more for the same cover, then offered to undercut WW by £50, which ticked me right off! Why not offer me the reduced price in the first place!

Try googling reviews for RAC warranty cover, and if they come back bad, get them to either to reduce the price, or change the warranty to another provider. 

Out of interest how many servicings should this car have had as I am awear they can be on 2 plans.

It was bought in Dec '12 so is about 4 and a half years old. It only appears to have had 2 servicings by Skoda. Both carried out with the second owner at 10k intervals.

Done some digging and found out it had a "used car motorpoint check" carried out at 18k at the dealership it was purchased and then a further 2 servicings at 39k and 48k at a different dealership.

I think the branch names had changed which threw me whilst doing my research!

Edited by CookieMonster87

Ok, first service done at a Skoda dealership in Belgium at 18k miles included an oil change.

Second service at 40k had the brake fluid done.

No further oil changes apparent up until service at 48k miles.

So 30k miles between oil changes! Should I avoid this car now?

Annoyed I hadn't noticed this at the time.

You'd have thought having a full Skoda service history a mechanic would have pointed out the need for one at its second service. 

Confirmation from the seller that it had an oil change at 40k miles however it just hadn't been recorded on Skodas system.

I knew I hadn't overlooked anything when going through the paperwork.

So a word of advise, if enquiring with Skoda UK or a Skoda dealer about a cars history take it with a pinch of salt as they claimed it hadn't had a proper service with them and had only logged the brake fluid change at 40k and oil change at 48k miles.

Feel like a rite tit now. Still, best to be sure.