Which Company Car??

I'm due to replace my VRS Estate next month with a new company car. I'm looking at Superbs and after the view of fellow Briskodians for which one to chose. I do 45,000 miles a year and will be towing my caravan 3/4 times a year. I'll have to pay for any options I chose and for fuel, I pay myself and claim 11p/mile back. Break even is about 50mpg so if I can get better on my commute then I'll make a little cash

choices are

Hatch - superb 150ps L&K manual

Hatch - Superb 150ps SEL Auto

Hatch - Superb 150ps SEL Auto 4x4

Hatch - Superb 190ps SEL Manual

Hatch - Superb SEL Greenline

Estate - Superb 150ps SEL Auto

Estate - Superb SEL Greenline

thanks in advance for any feedback

Edited by fluffy01016

As you see from my profile, my recommendation is different from what I have but I'd go for the 150ps SEL Estate DSG with leather/Alcantara. For options, I find front parking sensors and heated windscreen the most useful

Unless you're a tumble dryer salesman or have to transport a miniature pony then the hatch is more than practical IMO.  I went from a Leon Estate and the Superb hatch is no more or less practical (well I miss the flat load space *sometimes*).   I don't think you'd feel it going from an Octy vRS estate to the Superb hatch.  I found there to be more road noise in the estate too. 

Having never towed a caravan I'm not sure how much extra torque the car would need.  IME of a few different 150 vs 184/190 VAG TDI's, I actually prefer the 150ps engine.  It's smoother, quieter and a smaller turbo means it's power is more usable when you need it.  The only time it feels a slouch is trying to accelerate hard at motorway speeds in 6th gear.  Still capable but lacking a bit of punch.  FWIW I went from a similar car to what you have now (184 FR TDI) and don't really miss the 'numbers' with my 150 Sportline. I'm regularly seeing mid-high 50's on a steady 40 mile commute to work, which is 95% dual carriage way and cruise control bang on 70 as it's near enough ave camera's all the way.  

Maybe the 190 will be  a better choice for towing (?) but I'm sure someone with experience of towing a caravan will be able to advise further.  

Either way I'd go for SE L spec. 

Can't comment on towing but I would definitely go for the DSG box and as you will see from other threads on here, the 150 is more than adequate with little noticeable difference between it and the 190 in everyday driving.  SE L is more than enough spec as the L&K really pushes the price and its a lot of extra money for what you get.  Pick one or two extras that you really want and add those to the SE L and you have a really nice car.  As you're coming from a vRS, it's worth taking a look at the 150 Sportline too, as you'll still get some of the vRS styling but with the extra refinement and space.  Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the advice guys. Like the idea of the DSG as I do spend a lot of time in London and auto would be better than changing from 1st to 2nd a thousand times. Got a SEL 150ps DSG Estate on a weekend demo and will see how I get on. If the mpg is not too bad then might go for 4x4 or maybe 190ps

I have a 150 DSG SEL Estate - my average MPG is 45 (real world) and I do similar mileage to you.

The SEL spec has everything I need - I just added the 19" alloys, LED package and KESSY as I had some spare options cash (company car). I'm used to the size so front parking sensors were of no benefit to me.

My  new company car is due in two weeks. I have went for the 150 manual SE executive estate. extras are factory towbar and reversing camera. I couldn't get the DSG.

1 hour ago, Coops said:

I have a 150 DSG SEL Estate - my average MPG is 45 (real world) and I do similar mileage to you.

The SEL spec has everything I need - I just added the 19" alloys, LED package and KESSY as I had some spare options cash (company car). I'm used to the size so front parking sensors were of no benefit to me.

Thanks. Im currently getting 48mpg from the VRS and need to be that or better really. I don't go over 80 (on private roads) and will see how I get on with the test drive. I'm also testing a Passat 150ps GT DSG but I'm guessing it'll be pretty much the same

20 minutes ago, fluffy01016 said:

Thanks. Im currently getting 48mpg from the VRS and need to be that or better really. I don't go over 80 (on private roads) and will see how I get on with the test drive. I'm also testing a Passat 150ps GT DSG but I'm guessing it'll be pretty much the same

I can easily get better than that but don't particularly hang around when driving.

It's the stuff at the weekends which brings mine down - town, shop to shop etc. On the motorway with ACC it performs well.

I'd knock the Greenline off the list if your towing. Whilst the 1.6 engine is very capable it might struggle if you have a heavy van.

45,000 miles a year? I'd be wanting the best spec I could afford given that you spend more time in the car than in bed.

If you go for the SEL then be sure to spec the heated windscreen (£300), a must during the winter and if you choose the hatch make sure you add the rear wash/wipe (£0).

I've heard nothing but praise for the 150, yet there have been a couple of threads on the disappointment some have suffered with the 190.

2.0 TDI SE Business Estate for me as a company car, it ticked all the boxes spec wise and CO2 apart from xenons which i wish i ordered just from a looks point of view, however a upgrade in bulbs give out a really good crisp white output.

If i was to order again i would go DSG, the DSG gives less CO2 for some engines and therefore cancels out the cost of the higher RRP.

I would go for what I have. 2.0L SEL Exec hatch with DSG. I've read a few stories on here and elsewhere of people with the 190 having issues with the adBlue system. No adBlue with the 150 so it's one less thing to worry about.

• Like 1

I would go for the Hatch - Superb 150ps SEL Auto, the auto is a must IMO, I have the manual box but wish now I had gone for the auto. MPG for me with a 15 minute run to work on country roads and run abouts at the weekend is currently 51.2, I don't believe you will get less with the auto box.  

I also tow and you'll find 150 is more than enough for towing it's a great tow car, some folk in the past have commented the 150 is slightly smoother than the 190 but I can't comment.

As for goodies I rate the factory fit towbar highly, you can get cheaper alternatives, but it's a very neat solution being able to pull the lever in the boot and push it into position with your foot is great, the integrated electric hook up is neat and I believe the factory fit has slightly different electrics.

For goodies the rear view camera is worth it, you can hook up on your own. I rate the Canton sound system and Sunroof, other than that the SEL has a good spec.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RickTT said:

2.0 TDI SE Business Estate for me as a company car, it ticked all the boxes spec wise and CO2 apart from xenons which i wish i ordered just from a looks point of view, however a upgrade in bulbs give out a really good crisp white output.

If i was to order again i would go DSG, the DSG gives less CO2 for some engines and therefore cancels out the cost of the higher RRP.

What bulbs did you use?

On 19/06/2017 at 21:00, silver1011 said:

I'd knock the Greenline off the list if your towing. Whilst the 1.6 engine is very capable it might struggle if you have a heavy van.

45,000 miles a year? I'd be wanting the best spec I could afford given that you spend more time in the car than in bed.

If you go for the SEL then be sure to spec the heated windscreen (£300), a must during the winter and if you choose the hatch make sure you add the rear wash/wipe (£0).

I've heard nothing but praise for the 150, yet there have been a couple of threads on the disappointment some have suffered with the 190.

Think the SEL 150 DSG will tick all the boxes. You're right on the mileage, my VRS is 3yrs old and I've spent nearly 4months in the driving seat

• Like 1