Superb MK2 Oil Pump Failure?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a 2010 Superb possibly a 2011 and I would like the 2.0 CR 170bp engine,

I previously had 2009 VW Passat Sport 2.0 CR 170bp but the oil pump failed and toasted the engine so I was wondering if anyone knows when/if the hex key issue was resolved?

many thanks,

thanks jafo....

I should mention though that I'm only guessing the 2.0 CR (140bp or 170bp) engine that's in the MK2 Superb is the same as my old Passat CBBB

thanks for that... peace of mind and all that, :thumbup:

from what I can gather the CFGB engine does have the hex key but must be more reliable than the BMP, CBBB engines listed on this attachment,

Oil Pump.jpg

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, kop77 said:

thanks for that... peace of mind and all that, :thumbup:

from what I can gather the CFGB engine does have the hex key but must be more reliable than the BMP, CBBB engines listed on this attachment,

Oil Pump.jpg

The CFGB does not have a HEX drive and the CR engines in general, do not have the old PD Oil pump issues.

Hi numskull,

the guy who put up this thread a while back has the CFGB engine and it has a hex key!

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/426709-oil-pump-in-170bhp-gear-driven-or-hex-key/

I messaged him yesterday and he confirmed he replaced it as it was badly worn at 80,000 miles,

he said that he had the 'long hex key'... I'm guessing its 100mm long instead of 77mm which where known to fail from 100,000 miles onwards on the CBBB engine that was used on the early MK2 Superbs?

yep that was me, i was looking high and low for the old hex key, it was worn on one edge of each of the six sides. Enough for me to feel much happier having replaced it. when the key was in the old pump there was a bit of play between the two. If you are getting a timing belt done anytime soon I would 100% get the oil pump and hex key done with it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bazery said:

yep that was me, i was looking high and low for the old hex key, it was worn on one edge of each of the six sides. Enough for me to feel much happier having replaced it. when the key was in the old pump there was a bit of play between the two. If you are getting a timing belt done anytime soon I would 100% get the oil pump and hex key done with it

FFS..... I stand corrected. Very, very annoying given everyone thought VAG killed off this SPoF. What the hell did they use it again for, for gawd sake? In retrospect, its no real surprise I suppose, given the whole of VAG Group businesses propensity to flat-out lie. The oil pump failed on our MKI at 99,872 miles and cost a total of £4k to repair, albeit I only picked up £750 of that and the rest was goodwill from SUK. It was replaced with a oil pump unit with a solid shaft so at least it won't happen again. We've kept the car, even though it's effectively worthless, as we like it. 

Edited by numskull
Amendment
  • Like 1

The PD was far far more likely to fail than the CR CBBB but as said above its not that difficult to fit the longer 100mm key

• Like 1

You'd would have thought the manufacturers would have learnt from previous engine designs - The Ford Essex V6 and Ford Pinto had a hex oil pump drive shaft that could "go round". I had one fail on a 1972 Ford Zephyr V6 and a 1977 2.0 Capri

I'm pretty certain the balancer shaft has to replaced if your going from 77 to 100mm... you'll probably end up buying a kit online, 

There was a company selling them when my CBBB engine shat itself called KMB parts direct,

• 9 months later...

So I was cleaning out my toolbox and look what I found. The worn hex key. Small amount of play and you can see the Burr on one side of the key. I know this was ages ago but when. I found it I knew people needed to see it

IMG_20180326_231045_HHT.jpg

IMG_20180326_231014_HHT.jpg

IMG_20180326_231051_HHT.jpg

• 3 years later...