Corroded rear scilencer

Hi. I wonder if you guys can help, my sons CTHE fabia vrs 2013 has been for its MOT today, passed with one advisory, corroded rear scilencer. Is this a case of replacing the back box or can this be fixed? Ie welded up? If it's a replacement job, what's his options? Many thanks. 

Mine isn't a vrs but my 2011 1.2 tsi fabia had a corroded exhaust and took advantage of fitting a powerflo stainless cat back system. At £380 it was worth it, fuel consumption is better as is performance, also told by fitter that the cat pipe has about 2-3 year life so I'll be changing that in the next 12 months. I changed insurance at the same time for a saving ,they wanted a premium and got one that accepted the cat back. 

Edited by Kenrw8

An advisory on a corroded rear box is no big deal, they can look corroded and never leak or the outer skin part from the rest of it.

Get under the car with a wire brush and clean it up and then paint or spray on some silver Manifold / Exhaust paint if you want it to look tidy.

If it does need replaced then there are sometimes take offs for sale on Briskoda.

post-86161-0-33893400-1458904007.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Pretty much what people have said.

its no big deal and usually just the outer skin that's corroded, the backbox is made up of multiple layers and will be a long way of blowing id imagine.

ignore it and don't worry about it :)

• Like 1

I'd keep it till it blows too. Aftermarket exhaust centres will usually have low spec parts that wear out just outside of the warranty whilst genuine fitment parts usually last much longer. You may find this corroded, "Blown" Exhaust lasts longer then a replacement.

Edited by mrgf

Quality of silencers in Fabia mk2 are just tragical. A year ago I replaced both silencers in my Fabia mk2 from 02.2011. My car had in those time about 68k km mileage. Availability of original exhaust isn't good. I checked availability direct in czech internet shops. Finally I bought whole exhaust from VW Polo 6R 1.2 TSI. My old silencers wad made in Czech Republic, but new exhaust which I bought was made in Spain. I'm curious if the new exhaust will be better than factory czech silencers.

Below photos that show corrosion level of my factory exhaust after 68k km mileage. Drama.

6R0253611G.thumb.jpg.48ebff2fbd6f71b450dc315dd99d3178.jpg

stlumiki_stare.thumb.jpg.45c4c32c7c33b1a0e2e61e6d46b3cfee.jpg