1st time Skoda owner, not so lucky with purchase

Robertino

6 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Think the build week and year can be de-coded off the Vin Number, thats is you can understand the Vin. 

I have just checked 3 VIN decoders - none of them tell dates, just manufacturing year - 2015.

Edited by Robertino

The V5 should tell you a lot of information when you get it (hoping you get it).

You might then be able to contact the previous owner / keeper for a bit more information and peace of mind.

I suspect (as Auric mentions) it was leased and has service history, possibly everything necessary / recommended carried out, just not at Skoda, as you mention it drives fine.

A little compensation shouldn't be out of the question for the discrepancies regarding the information in the advert, but as you say, you may be able to prove this.

Edited by Tilt

Still no phone call from Vauxhall. Finance company will now step in file a complaint to them. Clearly they are avoiding me - didn`t call me back yesterday as well, had to call back myself.

Got v5 today, previous owner is Enterprise car rental (PO box in Aldershot). To me it is bad news as rental cars potentially could have been treated quite badly.

Do ERAC have their own servicing department hence no Skoda dealership history? Should I try talking to them about service history?

12 minutes ago, Robertino said:

Got v5 today, previous owner is Enterprise car rental (PO box in Aldershot). To me it is bad news as rental cars potentially could have been treated quite badly.

Do ERAC have their own servicing department hence no Skoda dealership history? Should I try talking to them about service history?

Well if it was me I'd be lived ( once again ) Should you have been informed it was an Ex Rental car ?. With all the Info you have supplied on here I'd reject the car.  Mis-sold

The End

I just read first few links from this search query:

Google

People are fuming after they find out their cars come from rental firms. I was never told it as ex rental. I only found out after I google ERAC UK Ltd, which means Enterprise UK car rental. Very clever way of masking car rental with a different Ltd company name so it sounds like an ex. company car. Otherwise people would not buy if it would say Enterprise car rental UK.

"Under Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (CPUTR) 2008, it’s illegal to withhold any details that could affect a purchase decision about a car at the point of sale. Advertising a car as having one previous owner, which later transpires to be a rental company, is a prime example of this practice, according to Office of Fair Trading guidelines for the regulations." According to Trading Standards dealers can face prosecution for this.

But its not so straight forward/black and white:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/1277/regulation/6/made

Edited by Robertino

The reason a pretty new vehicle can be at non Main Dealership for the Manufacturer of the vehicle is because it went through an auction etc.

The Customer has to ask about the know history, if you are not asking then they are not lying.

Advertised as one previous owner or one previous keeper means nothing, 

a driving instructor can be one owner with 400 drivers using the vehicle.

I don`t know where to start. I have spoken to finance company and asked them to help if they can. They are preparing official complaint to Vauxhall. But are they in power to sort anything out or only I have legal power to deal with it now as I`m sort of buyer of it? They paid for a car/financed (I paid 1k my own money to Vauxhall), but I`m registered keeper. Its a HIRE PURCHASE AGREEMENT REGULATED BY THE CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974. Basically I`m paying a rent, but in reality I`m buying a car bit by bit every month.

Edited by Robertino

19 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

The Customer has to ask about the know history, if you are not asking then they are not lying.

George, would the buyer not have a claim that the Car was advertised as " This " when in affect it was " That "

Supplying the purchaser with incorrect information, verbal or written must be deemed that the car was not sold as advertised. 

Think I'd stand my corner 

Best then that the OP gets a copy of that advert.

?

What incorrect information if it is One Former Keeper or One Owner and the buyer does not ask, 

Was that a Finance Company like VW Finance, or some of the Car Hire and Utility Fleet Buyers that VW Group Supply.

G4S etc etc.

Point is, is the car good as is, true mileage, not damaged etc.

Warranty Valid until manufacturers runs out, so then buy a Skoda extended one, job done.

Millions of cars on the road are Hire Cars and Millions of cars in Dealerships and cars on the road are Ex Hire Cars, Ex Motobiliy & Ex Fleet.

Ex Driving School, Ex driven by a bad private owner or a person that leased it.

Edited by Awayoffski

On 22/06/2017 at 10:51, Robertino said:

My first shock was when I saw on V5 its an old 77kw engine, not 81kw updated. 

George, this must stand grounds for mis-selling.

I suppose it boils down to wether the purchaser is happy with the car but Ex Rentals arn't for me

What we said on page 1 in the first posts.

What they had on the advert was wrong if they said (advertised) 110ps / 81Kw instead of 105ps / 77Kw

Mostest importances bad. They messed up big stylee.  The Dealership.

Edited by Awayoffski

Certainly a lesson learn't..................ie Do your homework before purchasing a vehicle and ask all relevant questions

To not have checked it's history and previous owner prior to purchasing............sorry but :shake:.

No point going on about incorrect advertising either unless you can prove this was the case and you were mislead into the purchase.

Checking with the previous owner re servicing was the idea, but on reflection of it being a rental company good luck with this.

However a polite phone call may get you an answer as to their servicing policy on their rental vehicles. If you are lucky it may have only been used by one of their staff..........a big if though.

• Like 1

I sent very long email to head of Vauxhall UK. Got phone call 4 hrs later saying they will try to assist. Got response from dealership today where I bought it:

My name is William Munro and I am the sales manager at Wilson and Co Grimsby. I have been passed over your email from Vauxhall customer care and I wanted to apologise for the way you feel you have be dealt with and update you with some information regarding your purchase. I will go through this email on a point by point basis for ease of reading and to ensure I cover everything in your email.

1)      I can confirm your vehicle has been fully serviced in line with manufacturer standard with the correct genuine parts and oil. I am awaiting the invoices to be email to me, as soon as I get these I will forward you the email and send a hard copy to your home address for your records.

2)      I apologise on behalf of Matthew for not getting the V5 changed to correct the miss-spelling of your name. Please be assured this was not intentional and if you forward me back your V5 I will send it off personally with a letter to the DVLA to get it amended.

3)      The vehicle was purchased by ourselves from ERAC (Enterprise Rental). We buy and vast amount of this vehicles every year (as does most motor garages) as these are quality used vehicles and maintained to such a high level that customers specifically ask for them as they know how well they are looked after. < --- What a load of bull****. Looked after (trashed) but hundreds of people who rent them?

4)      Could I please ask – Do you have a copy of the Autotrader listing that display the incorrect BHP?

5)      With regards to the price of the vehicle, it was priced to be extremely competitive. As you purchased the vehicle from some 180 miles away, you must of realised how much of a good value this vehicle was. Even today I have researched the market for your vehicle and the lowest price one is £10500, with the second being a 109bhp at £11,299. So your vehicle was fairly priced.

To summarise -  I will get the invoices for the service history across to you as soon as I get them, it shouldn’t be more than 5 working days. I will amended the V5 as soon as you send me it back (address below) and I can only apologise profusely for the lack on contact when calling into the site. I wish for all of my customers to have a pleasurable experience when purchasing a car from Wilson & Co and I’m sorry that you don’t feel this has been the case with yours. I will speak to all parties involved and make sure this doesn’t happen again.

Can I ask – Is there anything else you need from me, or would like to speak to me about?

Kind Regards

Rob, if your car had been thrashed and / or not looked after - treated fairly, it would show in it's condition and by the way it drives......

You do not seem to have issues regarding these points so why not try to enjoy your car as you say it drives fine.

Your mind should be put to rest regarding service history as I and one or two others have mentioned (my Octavia has similar printouts) and my Audi was owned by a business but checking it out prior to purchase showed it to be the directors car, and it's condition reinforced this.

It sounds like you got a fairly acceptable deal, but if you still feel you didn't.............................Hey-ho.

If you have a warranty, it runs well with no warnings and has been serviced, I wouldn't worry. I would worry if it was ex-PCP 1 owner serviced at 18-20K miles, given the minimum of care and you still wouldn't know if it had been thrashed or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Got reply (only after writing to head office again) from Vauxhall who sold me - oil change invoice coming in the post soon.

Its May 2015 car and in December 2015 it had already done 17 654 miles :o Other 17 000 miles were done by August 2016. Since August 2016 its been off the road, then I bought it.

Currently it has 34 800 miles. Oil/fuel filters and engine oil ordered, booked in for service this weekend.

ERAC.jpg

1 hour ago, Robertino said:

Went for MOT yesterday - passed with zero advisories.

Sorry I have got to ask why has this car been for a mot one isn't due until May 2018 ?

For my own peace of mind +due to Vauxhall being dodgy sales people - never know what other tricks they might have been deploying to flock ex. rentals!

As said earlier, hopefully you have learned a lesson here............

I cannot imagine any dealer would divulge this information regarding the vehicle being an ex rental.............unless you ask.

It sounds like they got one piece of information incorrect, although we have no proof of this, but got little else wrong.

I cannot believe the difference in kw output would have been a deal-breaker, or would it?

To expect them to run around after you because you did not ask the questions that should have been asked prior to purchase, is unrealistic imo.

It also sounds like you have a pretty good car at a pretty good price.

Good luck with it.

I specifically wanted one with updated engine, so it is heart breaking for me. But I think I have got over it now a bit. Knowing oil was changed at least once and it passed MOT with no issues. But yes, very good lesson learned - always ask to see full V5C, not just your new keepers slip!

Yes, I do get emotional about cars, its more than just a skip on wheels to get from A to B for me. I was going to hand in my car tomorrow to garage for servicing, but I just don`t trust garages, therefore I have booked ramp with tools and will get filters +oil changed myself.

What if they put in some cheap oil and keep my Castrol for themselves? What if they don`t fill new oil filter with oil before screwing it on? What if they use my car to drive to get parts of kebab? I love my car and paid lot of money for it.

Edited by Robertino

I take it you checked the correct spec of oil before purchasing???

Not sure if this is critical on your car or not though. It is on mine.