EA189 RECALL

Just had a phone call from skoda dealer, stating my used 11plate FABIA ESTATE 1.6TD SLE needs the EA189 emissions update.

Can anyone who's had this update tell me if it badly effects the running of the car afterwards, as I've seen some disturbing reports online.

Also, am I legally required to have this update (I believe it's software and a flow rectifier), and if I don't - how will that effect future emission tests during an M.O.T. 

There is no requirement to have the update done so my advice would be to stay well clear of it. Only particle emissions are monitored in an MOT so you will be fine.

Plenty of people have had it done and can't tell any difference or claim to have noticed slight mpg and power differences however there is a small number of people who have serious engine issues afterwards so in my eyes its not worth the risk

Edited by SuperbTWM

Welcome to the forum.

Not plenty had The Fix on a Skoda 1.6TDI CR as just getting run out.

Plenty have with VW's and SEATS and are reporting issues.

2.0l & 1.2TDI's are a different matter as just a software change, and even there the reports of issues are rising.

There is this thread, and another down the page in this section.

Search function on the forum helps.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/434368-rapid-spaceback-16tdi-emissions-recall 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/419527-ea-189-latest-news/?page=2 

Edited by Awayoffski

MOT may well only measure particulate today, however this may well change in the future given the sheer toxicity of the NOX issue. If the car hadn't had the update whilst it was offered, the car could become unroadworthy.

Just my 2p obviously.

That is pure p!ss,

millions of diesels that have no defeat device fitted would fail if there was a proper MOT check on diesels in the UK.

The UK Government & Chris Grayling MP is going to have to pull their finger out if removal of the Defeat Device is important because 

the German Authorities / EU appear to have allowed the approval of 'The Fix' that is not as 'non changing of performance or economy' 

as the VW Group are claiming in many cases and not just 1%.

Then there is the longevity issues, and more regens happening, and parts failing and higher fuel use which is not 'Green'.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

How can you say diesel is finished, the emissions for Euro6 are now virtually identical for petrol and diesel, with half the CO and only a SLIGHTLY higher NOx limit (taken from Auto Express website):

Euro emissions standards for diesel cars 

Euro standard

Date

CO

NOx

PM

Euro 1 July 1992 2.72  - 0.14 
Euro 2 January 1996 1.0 - 0.08
Euro 3 January 2000 0.64 0.50 0.05
Euro 4 January 2005 0.50 0.25 0.025
Euro 5a September 2009 0.50 0.180 0.005
Euro 6 September 2014 0.50 0.080 0.005

Euro emissions standards for petrol cars

Euro standard

Date

CO

NOx

PM

Euro 1 July 1992 2.72  - -
Euro 2 January 1996 2.2 - -
Euro 3 January 2000 2.3 0.15 -
Euro 4 January 2005 1.0 0.08 -
Euro 5 September 2009 1.0 0.060 0.005
Euro 6 September 2014 1.0 0.060 0.005
Edited by MarkTB

& tested on behalf of Manufacturers and given to the authorities at facilities of their choice, and that had some with diesel in the engine oil, over inflated tyres in the temperature controlled buildings and still happening with VW, SEAT & AUDI with Euro 6 testing hence the Co2 Irregularity Scandal which broke late 2015 after Euro 5 Emission Scandal broke and then the VW Group admission on 'Implausible Co 2 results and official test results' and the changes of some models and the ones withdrawn from sale or bought back.

VW Group knew how to cheat, just not how not to get caught.

Maybe more catching yet to come as lots to come out in the wash possibly. 

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx