Warning light when braking

So, with regards to the bulb warning light which should come on when a bulb is blown. Here is my findings..... Every time when braking, I would get the audible ping and the orange bulb with cross light coming on which done my head in. I checked the lights more times than I can remember and never found any issues. Until I had some spare time to look further!! I had in my head that the switch was faulty but thought I would check all bulbs first, as seen in the pic, I found this at the o/s/r cluster. One of the bulb connections crumbled away when I touched it. This drain on the lights was causing the warning light to illuminate. Tbh I'm just happy I found something.....trip to scrappies for me. Oh and I would be thinking about covering this electrical connection with some plastic film to prevent water getting to it. The joys.

image.jpeg

Wow that has really turned to crap! Seeing as the brake light is the lowest one in the light cluster it looks like it's been holding water.

• Like 1

Yeah your right wino, I will be getting a new holder then looking into this as it does look as though it's been sat in water as opposed to getting dripped on. TMB your spot on, it was a surprise how crap it looked.....but hey I sometimes like actually finding something obvious..... I will report back any further findings, cheers guys 

I actually had something similar on my Polo. Had VW change cambelt and waterpump shortly after buying the car. As I drove it away the indicators were doing that 'one bulb's blown' double-time flashing and clicking. Thought 'oh, I've had an indicator bulb go' and carried on. Then I indicated the other way and got the same thing.

Got home (only 5 miles) and found the indicators fuse was blown. Calls to the dealership next day didn't shed any light, except that they weren't keen on fixing it for me for free despite the fault arising while the car was in their care. Changing the fuse just kept blowing it.

A day or two later, I found some wetness round some of the pins of the left rear cluster connector. The bottom two pins were indicator and earth...

Then I remembered how they'd kindly washed the car after doing the work.  Reckon they used a pressure washer and the cluster seal was a bit tired.

Can't remember how similar the Fabia cluster sealing is, but worth a look, I'd say.

Guys, had a look again today and not getting bulb holder until tomoz but inside the cluster there is signs of (greenery) defo some kind of water ingress. MOT tomorrow and left till last minute as usual for me. Will get it working then look at future prevention of water. Great fun. Burst cv boot also aaaaggghhh

Edited by rossroof
Can't spell

Has it had any kind of rear end damage? Had a Felicia once that had a back end shunt and when the bodyshop repaired it they fitted the rear light clusters without their sealing gaskets and the spare wheel well filled up with water! Cowboys :notme:

• Like 1

Not that I'm aware of mate, I replaced the bulb holder and wiring today(5 quid at scrappies....bonus!) and noticed one of the bolts securing the cluster to body is missing so I will remove it over the weekend and re-seal and secure. Passed MOT so all good. I will post here any further findings. Cheers ladsimage.thumb.jpeg.4f149c38dbf211c03fc9b37ef6954c7c.jpeg

• Like 2