Best Engine option on a Yeti

Cartaret1

I was mulling over changing my   Roomster for a Yeti.. I have a 1.9 TDI Diesel  version on  a 2007 plate .. Low mileage  (65k) give or take... I wanted to get the opinion of YETI owners as to which is the better option diesel or Petrol and which is comparable with my existing vehicle. Which one is better on the motorways ... I want a manual box  - I hate automatic gear boxes... I use mine primarily to move a lot of gear around the country .. I am not interested  in gizmos/Leather trim .. I need a vehicle I can remove the seats easily without causing a hernia.

The new SUV's seem a poor replacement for both the Roomster & the YETI ... I hate the sloping back window on both  of the SUV's .

Has anyone got the internal measurements for a YETI boot  ( not Litres as that doesn't mean anything to me ) - I need to know the length of the boot- also what is the lump behind the front seats  which I do not have in the Roomster.. How much space does this remove. My current car has a spare tyre in the floor I notice this option is available but there is a step in the car... How large is the step ?

Are you a long way away from a Dealer selling a Yeti to just go look and try?

Have your weetabix maybe before trying to remove the seats.

Guest FurryFriend

I'm 70 years young, and for years I've been kidding myself about engine size = more oomph and better fuel economy.  It's all nonsense. 

The bottom line of it is that our new Yeti with its 1.2 litre engine is PERFECT.  It will cruise happily at motorway speeds, it takes a good load, it goes up hill and down valleys like a cat, and we now visit petrol stations and smirk while putting fuel in because we truthfully can't believe how frugal it is. 

I last filled up on June 14th. We haven't even used half a tank yet. Previously we were using £50 a week on average. Happy motoring :biggrin:

Edited by FurryFriend

Moving gear around the country sounds like quite a bit of mileage, so one of the diesels would be a more economical choice. The 2.0tdi 150cr is a lovely engine. In the octy it has 6 gears where the 1.6tdi has 5 which isn't as good.

Sounds like you need a day out to try a couple of different engines :-)

Previously had a 2.2 TDI Honda Cr-V, went to France last week with four on board, hardly noticed the difference with our 1.2 Manual Petrol ( a bit less room for the wine!)

Went from a 2 litre diesel Volvo to the 1.2 TSI and really never noticed the difference - if anything on the one really long, steep hill near me I'd say the Yeti has the edge. Holidays in the West Country with four adults, some dogs and all the kit (meaning a roof box and cases strapped alongside as well as gear in the boot) and it handled everything without any fuss and bother. In fairness I tend to drive with an eye to economy and when fully laden take my time so if you want to shave a few minutes off long journeys a bigger diesel might suit you better but don't write the little petrol off without having a try. (As to economy, I get 40+mpg brim-to-brim and that's mainly local journeys. The Volvo gave me perhaps an extra 2-3mpg when it wasn't in the workshop with its latest tantrum).

According to honest John real mpg the 1.2 petrol as mentioned by others gives 40mpg, whereas the 1.6tdi gives 50mpg. Both similar power output. Try both is the best option.

Assuming your Roomster was new, I wouldn't go anywhere near a diesel with when you're averaging just 6.5k miles per year. 

I love my 1.2tsi and my other cars a 3l straight 6 petrol! It's more than capable and silly economical in comparison.