5w30 or 5w40??!

Okay, service time of year again, and this sometimes gets me so I should write it down somewhere, but one dealer is saying my 1.8t BZB engine should be using 5w30 and another is saying 5w40. Looked in my shed and I have Castrol Edge 5w30 which is what I must have put in it before on a deal somewhere considering the price, so why is a dealer saying it should be the 40?

All Octys come out the factory on variable long servicing but I had mine changed to fixed/1 year/10k servicing after the first one so is that making a difference? From what I understand although I may be corrected, the petrol engine need 501, 502 spec oil which are short service intervals OR 504 which is long service, so is that why some places are saying 30 and others 40?? Apart from the techy temperature stuff which the 30 & 40 represent, what's the actual real world every day difference between running those two oils and would someone knacker their engine if they accidentally get the wrong one in for that year between services?

Further to this, what are people recommending? As before, the Edge I bought MUST have been on offer cos it's quite pricey (and it's also a PITA cos it's in an annoying 4l amount!), but am I right in thinking Quantum is fine and isn't it actually Castrol just rebadged?? If so, would I need the standard Longlife III here for £26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-AUDI-SKODA-SEAT-QUANTUM-LONGLIFE-III-5W-30-F-SYNTHETIC-ENGINE-OIL-5L-/131963797575?epid=881049365&hash=item1eb9a7c047:g:0lcAAOSwmLlX-OJ9

or the Platinum here for £23

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-AUDI-SKODA-SEAT-QUANTUM-PLATINUM-5W-40-PD-F-SYNTHETIC-ENGINE-OIL-5L-/192222164220?epid=940795874&hash=item2cc15574fc:g:L6UAAOSwnNBXZ9ak

...unless anyone knows any better or cheaper to go to??

Edited by blackspaven

Having done a fair bit of research on this, the 5w30 is the long life stuff which meets 504/507. 5w40 is correct if you are on the short service and it should meet 502 spec. Dunno why there is a difference in the viscosity but there you go. 

Thanks. OKay, so spoke to bloke at TPS (which I completely forgot about) and he said the 5w30 is longlife and fine for both interval service types, the 5w40 is platinum and ONLY for short service types, so it looks like the 30 I generally seem to use is fine for me, just a couple of quid extra (although they do the Quantum at a ridiculously low £15 odd, so I know where I'm going this week! :))

Just on a side note, any ideas as to whether the platinum 40 has any benefits of use over the longlife if you are only using it for yearly services? Only thinking along the same lines as a combined tumble dryer/washer, in that things are generally never quite as good when they're combined as opposed to something that's got a very specific, very definite single use, if you get my drift?

8 hours ago, blackspaven said:

Thanks. OKay, so spoke to bloke at TPS (which I completely forgot about) and he said the 5w30 is longlife and fine for both interval service types, the 5w40 is platinum and ONLY for short service types, so it looks like the 30 I generally seem to use is fine for me, just a couple of quid extra (although they do the Quantum at a ridiculously low £15 odd, so I know where I'm going this week! :))

Just on a side note, any ideas as to whether the platinum 40 has any benefits of use over the longlife if you are only using it for yearly services? Only thinking along the same lines as a combined tumble dryer/washer, in that things are generally never quite as good when they're combined as opposed to something that's got a very specific, very definite single use, if you get my drift?

There should be a table in your user manual for engines types and oils specs, but it would likely be vw 502.00 for fixed, vw 504.00 for variable, it is for FL petrol models.

Personally, if you are running to a fixed interval, i'd run a decent vw 502.00 oil of your choice unless the book says otherwise in terms of standard.

So if in Quantum, platinum 5W40. As you say, the Long Life III VW504.00 is compatible to use as a fixed schedule oil as well, but there is no compatibility for a VW502.00 oil to be used for extended interval beyond 10k / 12 months i.e. the other way around.

The vw502.00 is available in several multigrades, the 5W40 Quantum provide it in will be a bit more resistant to thinning and could perhaps be a bit more resistant against carbon build from oil passing valve stem seals, oil control rings and the like and may reduce oil consumption marginally on an engine that uses.

It is always best to try and match oils for top ups, rather than put in any compatible oil.  With long life and variable service it is possibly even more important due to the composition, additives and markers.

My thoughts anyway....

37 minutes ago, Bazzer1955 said:

Good find there, is this oil ok for a 1.9 tdi pd engine ?

https://groceries.asda.com/product/oils-lubricants/fully-synthetic-oil-5l-5w40/910001476641

Yes it is fine for 1.9pd but I prefer 5w40 as some say 505.01 spec was originally design PD engine so offers better protection for the cams, where as 507.00 is designed around cars with DPF .

• Like 1

On 26 June 2017 at 19:38, Bazzer1955 said:

Sorry Mate your link is not 5ltr it is only 2ltr

Tesco where doing 2 litre bottles of 5/30 to 504/507 spec the other day for only £6 making it ludicrously cheap ... 

• 1 month later...

I have to change the oil in my Octavia 2012, 1.6 MPI, BSE. Until now I have put Castrol 5w30 OE, but now I want to put something else. The car has 5 years old and aprox. 70000km.

First questions, do I have to change to 5w40 or to remain on 5w30? Second question, I want to change to another brand of oil...do you have some recommendation? Until now I have read good stuff about Motul, Ravenol, Fuchs, Liqui Moly...so, what should I choose?