Mapping 1.2tsi Monte Carlo

Hello all. We have just purchased  a 2011 red Monte Carlo principally for my Mrs who has no interest in cars until she saw this one! The car looks great and is a very smooth drive. However, it is allegedly 105 bhp and I am not feeling it. Unsurprisingly I suppose, cars very often come in under the advertised power when put on the rollers. 

I have a 2003 Impreza with a few upgrades and subsequent remaps so it is possibly an unfair comparison. Nevertheless, I am looking for some feedback from those who have had a remap on the Monte and how it affects the drive/performance? Currently feels like there is a little turbo there not doing much! I think I would only look at modest 130-140. Would also consider some stainless steel exhaust parts perhaps mid section and back box for longevity as well as performance. Ta very much.

Welcome.

Is it a 105ps one or not because plenty are mis-sold.

As to coming under the Minimum output they were sold as, that is not usual when put on a dyno.

Easy enough top get a Stage 1 remap from APR, Shark Performance or others and get 130ps plus.

Plenty threads on here from those that have done, or fitted a Tuning Box.

Best be sure the timing chain / tensioner is A OK.

Okidoke, thanks. Sold as it 105 and came up as a 105 when I called insurers to change car. Having a bit of trouble surfing this site as only on phone as my Mac has recently died. Can you straight remap with no other mod? Would 130 bhp remotely pin me back in the driving seat? ;)

It is more than just advertising.

It is charging money and taxes for a vehicle that has to produce the power sold as in many World Regions with extreme weathers and altitude above sea level and with different fuel qualities.

So if a car in the UK that is never above 4,000 ft above sea level or in temps above 40*oC or below -30*oC on UK Pump Fuel can not meet the BHP / PS 

or torque figures the manufacturers sell them at there is something far wrong with the vehicle.

PS

105-115ps is just about pull the skin off a rice pudding type power output...

(with a small family sized car with a kerb weight of around 1,100kg)

Edited by Awayoffski

There is a company near me in Hull can do me a remap up to 130 for £275 which will prob do the trick and make the car run better. Reasonable price? They won't touch the £1.4 engine due to det problems, but happy to do 1.2. Seems that changing exhaust won't make a great deal of difference perhaps 5-6 bhp max and you won't see the nice new shiny pipe anyway!

Yes indeed. I did however ask about the implications of a gentle remap if I came to trade it in and was told it should be fine as very common now. Who knows though as management changes etc!

LOL,  fine as in the salesperson is none the wiser and does not care, and they put a Warranty on it that can be rejected if there was a Warranty claim and then the ECU was investigated.

But then maybe your car has a remap on now and a crap one, as the dealerships do not put a car back to 'Factory Settings'.

PS

'Should be fine',  that is a great 'Sales' term, as in 'as long as i do not put that in writing it is your word against mine' 

*How do you know a salesperson lies?  Their lips move!*

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having owned the car for nearly a couple of weeks I think it is starting to loosen up a bit. Only had 24,000 miles on it when purchased. It is quite a nippy town car. I think I am experiencing some "boost"! I will try running it on 99 Ron and see how that goes as it is very good on fuel anyway. May not be worth a remap in the short term as it isn't the sort of car you would feel confident chucking into corners. Good fun though and looks great.

I have been running the Fabio on Tesco 99 and driving it enthusiastically and it is great really! It is brisk and perky- bit wibbly wobbly in the corners but to be expected from a little  fairly reasonably hottish hatch - and for a 61 plate straight off the forecourt purchase I am very happy. I am content to imagine it may be running at more than the prescribed 105bhp, you never know! It is a lot more fun than our previous Citroen C3! :)

Fitting poly bushes take away the wibbly wobbly feeling and give a chalk and cheese experience to that of a well behaved car when driven into corners. It did fitting them on my 1.2 tsi , 60 reg, I did all lower suspension bushes, arb and lower engine mount 

Edited by Kenrw8

Interesting.... this is the wife's car though really. She doesn't see the need for a fifth gear and is troubled by the fact it keeps trying to pull away from her . :sweat:

It is a good little car though. I've gone from being quite unimpressed to really looking forward to getting hold of it for the day. Fuel economy impressive too. Runs and pulls a lot better on the 99 compared to 95.