Wrapping ....

No not with the Mike and loads of gold .... I'm not seriously considering it because I like the red.... BUT I do find myself from time to time googleing ... Would be nice to say have a nice bright yellow :-)

Anyone had a good quality full car wrap and care to share prices and experience ?

Not had it done on my car, but was at Goodwood Festival of Speed at weekend and 3M had a stand that was dedicated to vehical wrapping - it was mighty impresive what they can do these days. May be worth a Google if you are thinking of it. They can supply pearl effiect and also what I would call a 3D effect where a wrap is applied over an image (a word for example) and that give a really subtle effect that can only be seen in certain light form certain angles.

My car is in having a front end wrap in clear Suntek, should blend with the paintwork. Just helps resist stone chips and scratches, self healing in sun light. Is anywhere between £1000 to £1500 at a detailer (for the front half inc. mirrors). Probably cheaper if you are covering up what is underneath.

i'd be very interested to hear about costs on this too.

i've a '65 plate estate in business grey. 

now fancy the red like on the sportline, but wary of cost and quality compared to paint. if i did that, i think i'd also swop the rear bumper valance to the same as the sportline.

currently waiting to hear back from dealer as to what the cost would be to hop into a sportline.

On 7/4/2017 at 14:52, Nick_H said:

No not with the Mike and loads of gold .... I'm not seriously considering it because I like the red.... BUT I do find myself from time to time googleing ... Would be nice to say have a nice bright yellow :-)

Anyone had a good quality full car wrap and care to share prices and experience ?

Have a look at this chap. His name is Paul Walker. http://pwpro.co.uk/

He's done a fair few. He's a nice chap. Always has time to talk and very friendly. He did the CPro quartz coating on my car and I'm more than happy with it. I don't know how his prices stack up because I don't know how much a wrap costs. He's done a fair bit of work for Rainworth Skoda but I don't know if that's wrapping. He's not a million miles away from you.

• Like 1

wow, when you have a look at his gallery, there are a number of £100k+ cars in there. If its good enough to go on those, then its good enough for my superb! think i'll drop him a line, and hopefully persuade the wife it'll be cheaper than swopping the car :)

• Like 1

think i might have to shelve this idea for the moment. his work looks amazing on the cars on his website, and he removes door handles/mirrors etc so there are no visible film lines. the cost though would be c.£2000+vat give/take depending on the film and coverage required. if i had a £100k car, its a no brainer to change the colour, but on my car currently valued at c.£20k, this kind of money would put me into a car 2 years newer and i could spec the colour i wanted. might need to give this idea a miss. :(

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, skodarog said:

think i might have to shelve this idea for the moment. his work looks amazing on the cars on his website, and he removes door handles/mirrors etc so there are no visible film lines. the cost though would be c.£2000+vat give/take depending on the film and coverage required. if i had a £100k car, its a no brainer to change the colour, but on my car currently valued at c.£20k, this kind of money would put me into a car 2 years newer and i could spec the colour i wanted. might need to give this idea a miss. :(

Bloody hell. That's expensive. When I say expensive I mean a lot of money and not what they do is a lot more money than something comparable. I knew it wouldn't be cheap but I didn't expect that much. :o

Edited by Bignij

1 minute ago, Bignij said:

Bloody hell. That's expensive. I knew it wouldn't be cheap but I didn't expect that much. :o

thats on a superb estate. i asked for bright "ferrari" red, or bright (golf R) style blue. 

the wife would never agree to that.

now have to see what my local dealer comes back on price for a Sportline model in a bright colour.

it makes you wonder how these car shows wheeler dealers/supercar rebuild/classic car rebuild etc can find it in their budget to do this over a full respray. i suppose they do a lot of the labour, but its still expensive.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nick_H said:

I'll buy a decent polisher to get rid of the swirles instead !

Without years of experience and the right compounds all you will do is make it worse. Even supposed experts can make decent cars look totally crap.

Leave it well alone and save up for a new one in the right colour.

3 hours ago, Nick_H said:

What ! Are you pulling my leg lol ?

Go on then. Buy one of these fancy DIY polishers and look at the mess you will make.

25 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Go on then. Buy one of these fancy DIY polishers and look at the mess you will make.

I think Nick was actually referring to the choice of stock colours, or rather the ever decreasing lack of them!

• Like 1

This is what a front end wrap looks like with the rest of the car coated in Kamikaze Enrei. It isn't perfect but should reduce the stone chips.

20170710_202136.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, knfruitbat said:

This is what a front end wrap looks like with the rest of the car coated in Kamikaze Enrei. It isn't perfect but should reduce the stone chips.

20170710_202136.jpg

All looks shiny and new but could you add something about the extent, front end wrap could be loads or minimal along front vertical parts only.  Also please post some close ups of the edges and where the wrap goes around lights and creases

10 hours ago, knfruitbat said:

20170710_202136.jpg

Do you mind me asking what wrap you used and what it cost?  I'm considering a clear protection wrap, probably just the bumper and mirror housings.

13 hours ago, Bud said:

All looks shiny and new but could you add something about the extent, front end wrap could be loads or minimal along front vertical parts only.  Also please post some close ups of the edges and where the wrap goes around lights and creases

Sorry was a quick post, too hot to fire up the PC last night. Will take a few and post later.

6 hours ago, simhub said:

Do you mind me asking what wrap you used and what it cost?  I'm considering a clear protection wrap, probably just the bumper and mirror housings.

Hi Simhub.

New car stage 1 paint correction as needed, Suntek film on everything from the door forward. So full bonnet & wings, bumper, skirts, lights and the back of the mirrors. They didn't have a kit for the car because of the front highlight washers and sensors so had to do it freehand so isn't perfect. They took the wrap under the wheel arches and tucked it around, but at the back of the wings (near the door) it has been cut a little short in places. Can't really see it unless you use a flash. Kamikaze do a product specifically to go over the top of film, so put that over the top on the the front. I got mine done locally, if I could I would have gone to Ultimate Finish or KDS down in Kent, but the waiting list was too long and needed to start using the car.

Now for the ouch. New car correction £300, full front end wrap £900, Kamikaze for absolutely everything same again.