My Rapid(s)

I've just sold my most recent Rapid and moved onto a convertible (Vauxhall Cascada).

I've now owned 2 of these - the first a 1.2 TSi (105 BHP) Elegance hatch. This was an early 2013 car, which covered ~16000 miles, at an average of ~40 mpg. The only issue was the development of a "creak" from the pasenger side front suspension. I took it for it's first MOT and it passed without any advisories.

I then "upgraded" to a late 2014 Spaceback, again a 105 BHP TSi. This drove noticeably better than the earlier car and returned similar MPG over the ~13k miles I owned it. Again no issues during my ownership, barring the aforementioned "creak" from the passenger side front suspension..

Whilst by no means exciting cars, both of these provided reliable and economical motoring over the ~30k miles covered during my ownership.

I plan to enjoy the sun in my new car, but would have no hesitation coming back to one of these at some point in the future.

IMG_20170623_181707.jpg

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 1

Rather have a hardtop tomorrow I think.

However, the OP is relating how satisfied is withe the Rapids.

Most only post when it goes wrong.

Thanks pp

Edited by camelspyyder

14 hours ago, 67igor1 said:

What's the point of this topic?

To illustrate the point I've now owned two Rapids, which have proved to be both frugal, reliable and robust over around 30K miles.

My aim is to provide useful feedback to help others make an informed decision.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Rather have a hardtop tomorrow I think.

However, the OP is relating how satisfied is withe the Rapids.

Most only post when it goes wrong.

Thanks pp

The Cascada has proved to be water proof thus far:thumbup:

15 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

To illustrate the point I've now owned two Rapids...

Have you got them now?

23 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

the first a 1.2 TSi (105 BHP) Elegance hatch. This was an early 2013 car, which covered ~16000 miles, at an average of ~40 mpg.

I then "upgraded" to a late 2014 Spaceback, again a 105 BHP TSi. .. over the ~13k miles I owned it.

It does proof nothing. What can happen with two almost new cars in 13k miles covered each?

My Toledo covered more than 30k miles on its own... It's 62 reg... :)

Edited by 67igor1

My 2014 Rapid 1.6tdi has covered 40k so far (27k of them mine).

When I want the roof off I drive my MX5:biggrin:

Total cost of both cars (used) was less than the VX convertible ...

Ongoing insurance and running costs for 2 cars however is a different matter - lucky the wife needs a car (the Rapid is hers!)

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen my old car pop back up on Autotrader - here: Car advert

I sold the Rapid to an online car buying service and found the process simple and "relatively" transparent.

The car was a late 2014 1.2 TSi 105 bhp SE tech and had covered 20k miles. The online offer was £7150, but £250 was deducted for stone chips and a further £75 went on the admin fee. 

I'd been offered around £6k by a Skoda main dealer and £5.5k (by on online retailer) against a new Peugeot 3008. 

The deal is done in 10 minutes. I was curious to understand the business model worked and the chap indicated most cars went to auction and they aimed for £100-200 profit per car. He mentioned they process 25000 cars per annum, so even the "admin fee" scales up to a big number. The chap I dealt with told me they buy around 85% of cars they make an offer on, assuming the sellers turns up for their appointment.

I'd used the on-line valuation aspect of such companies many times, in order to get a feeling for a cars true market value.

The car is now back up for sale at £8295, which, given the likely auction indemnity fees (payed by the new owner) leaves a relatively thin profit margin - more than likely >£1k. After overheads / tax and over-valuing any potential part exchange it could potentially amount to a few hundred £. Not much of a return for potentially tying up significant capital.

I've read a lot of negativity around such car buying services, but my experience was generally positive. I'd tried to sell the car privately, but a few weeks with no interest (or insurance!) made up my mind to move it one - once the decision was taken it was all concluded very quickly.

Edited by pinkpanther

2 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Just seen my old car pop back up on Autotrader - here: Car advert

I sold the Rapid to an online car buying service and found the process simple and "relatively" transparent.

The car was a late 2014 1.2 TSi 105 bhp SE tech and had covered 20k miles. The online offer was £7150, but £250 was deducted for stone chips and a further £75 went on the admin fee. 

I'd been offered around £6k by a Skoda main dealer and £5.5k (by on online retailer) against a new Peugeot 3008. 

The deal is done in 10 minutes. I was curious to understand the business model worked and the chap indicated most cars went to auction and they aimed for £100-200 profit per car. He mentioned they process 25000 cars per annum, so even the "admin fee" scales up to a big number. The chap I dealt with told me they buy around 85% of cars they make an offer on, assuming the sellers turns up for their appointment.

I'd used the on-line valuation aspect of such companies many times, in order to get a feeling for a cars true market value.

The car is now back up for sale at £8295, which, given the likely auction indemnity fees (payed by the new owner) leaves a relatively thin profit margin - more than likely >£1k. After overheads / tax and over-valuing any potential part exchange it could potentially amount to a few hundred £. Not much of a return for potentially tying up significant capital.

I've read a lot of negativity around such car buying services, but my experience was generally positive. I'd tried to sell the car privately, but a few weeks with no interest (or insurance!) made up my mind to move it one - once the decision was taken it was all concluded very quickly.

That dealer is local to me (Hilton) bought my daughters car there.

Anyways, a little info I've sent you a message.

9 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

3 years is a good age to get rid. Mines 3 + 1/2 and needs 4 tyres 4 disks and pads, still has the creaky front suspension, and has had a turbo change already.

The creaky suspension does seem to be endemic to the Rapid - both of mine exhibited this, despite nothing being found by either the main dealer,or during the first MOT.

Failed turbo certainly a worry - hoping the one in my Yeti lasts a little longer!

• 2 weeks later...

Westgate are doing a lot of business here.

A few months ago @cypher007 asked me on SeatCupra.net about the relative virtues of used 1.2TSi v's 1.6TDi Toledos, and I told him his budget would probably get him a new  or pre-reg one.

He then found the Westgate deal, and we're all queuing round the block to get one.

What colour are you having? I'm going for the Silver that I wanted last time but would have gone over budget.

Edited by camelspyyder

I'm collecting a black one next week. I would have preferred silver, but none available until end of September and the black on is on-site and ready to go. Also had to factor a probable lower bid on the part exchange, should I have opted to wait until the back end of next month.

I hope you like it. The 3 cylinder may take a little getting used to but I'm sure I will.

On the forum front, I wouldn't bother with SeatCupra.net; Its really for SEAT fanboys, and it's all about over-boosted Ibiza's or Leons and their breakdowns. :giggle:

The bread and butter SEATS don't get much on-site traffic.

Stay here, most of the Toldeo owners who are online come here anyway instead.

Edited by camelspyyder

4 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

I hope you like it. The 3 cylinder may take a little getting used to but I'm sure I will.

On the forum front, I wouldn't bother with SeatCupra.net; Its really for SEAT fanboys, and it's all about over-boosted Ibiza's or Leons and their breakdowns. :giggle:

The bread and butter SEATS don't get much on-site traffic.

Stay here, most of the Toldeo owners who are online come here anyway instead.

Many thanks camespyyder. I've had 2 Rapid's (hatch & spaceback) previously so hoping the Seat iteration is at least on a par / similar.

Quite disappointed to see a new Seat only comes with 2 years breakdown assistance and no free map updates, whereas the Skoda equivalent (and Seat in Europe) have 3 years breakdown assistance and free map / software updates.

I spotted several familiar names on SeatCupra.net and noticed the Toledo forum was relatively dead - I'll stick with Briskoda:thumbup:

Hoping the LED lights are a significant upgrade on relatively the poor halogens (I'd previously upgraded to Osram nightbreakers).

I have KESSY on my Yeti and appreciate the benefits, despite the apparent security risks. 

As regards the 3 pot TSi - I've yet to drive one and am admittedly a little apprehensive. There does however seem to be a worthwhile boost in torque over the equivalent (110 BHP) 1.2 TSi (148 lb/ft vs 129 lb/ft). I also understand it's "adequate" in an Octavia, so will hopefully be better in a Toledo / Rapid clone, given the marginally lower kerb weight (1115 Kg  vs 1150 Kg).

Update to follow.................

Edited by pinkpanther
Spelling

I drove it the other week in Westgate's demo Spaceback, and I've previously driven a 1.0 Ibiza with a lower power variant.

Quite thrummy, but to my ears more like the early Charade (which I liked) rather than the tinny sounding Suzuki or Hyundai triples I've tried more recently.

It is more torquey, seems to have better response low down than the 1.2, and I'm looking for an mpg improvement.

the 1.0 51.4  / 70.6 / 61.4  certainly beats

the 1.2 44.1 / 65.7 / 55.4  and even if none of those numbers are obtainable in real life I'm hoping for a genuine 53 mpg plus once run in.

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

Quite thrummy, but to my ears more like the early Charade (which I liked) rather than the tinny sounding Suzuki or Hyundai triples I've tried more recently.

Hopefully not too "thrummy", although will no doubt be quieter / smoother than the 2.0 TDi in my Yeti;)

I'll add the new car to my Fuelly account, so will have "real world" data to compare with my old car(s):

• 2013 105 BHP 1.2 TSi Rapid Hatch (average 39 MPG): Fuelly
  • 2014 105 BHP 1.2 TSi Rapid Spaceback (average 40 MPG): Fuelly

The car will be used for generally urban driving, so I'll be reasonably happy it it matches / betters the older cars.

Based on the two 1.0 tsi octavia owners who have posted their consumption figures you should get better than 45 mpg average.

The guy in Finland gets particularly good returns even on relatively high speed runs.

I think my 1.4tsi is really good but there is a noticeable difference in our claims at any given speed.

Just covered 130 miles today in the Toledo. The 3 pot 110 BHP 1.0 TSi unit is remarkably smooth and eager to rev, although (not unsurprisingly) a little flat when "off boost".

The OBC was reading 51 MPG when I returned home from collecting the car.

The LED headlights are remarkable, especially on main beam. Will definitely look to specifiy these when the time comes to change the Yeti.

Noticed the SEAT misses out on the ice scraper behind the fuel flap and parking ticket clip, as fitted to my old Rapid / Toledo clone - it seems SEAT's are a little less "Simply Clever".

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Just covered 130 miles today in the Toledo. The 3 pot 110 BHP 1.0 TSi unit is remarkably smooth and eager to rev, although (not unsurprisingly) a little flat when "off boost".

The OBC was reading 51 MPG when I returned home from collecting the car.

The LED headlights are remarkable, especially on main beam. Will definitely look to specifiy these when the time comes to change the Yeti.

Noticed the SEAT misses out on the ice scraper behind the fuel flap and parking ticket clip, as fitted to my old Rapid / Toledo clone - it seems SEAT's are a little less "Simply Clever".

That made me laugh.  Smarter interior, LED headlights, loads of kit included in the price (which is several 000's less than a Skoda). Cost-cutting Spanish sods don't even put in the £3 ice scraper. Well, really!

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Haha 1

When I picked mine up the scraper was missing, someone had either forgot to put it in or had it away.

Made me smile one winter down at the filling station, couldn't get the fuel flap open, it had frozen solid. Fancy putting the ice scraper there.:biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

That made me laugh.  Smarter interior, LED headlights, loads of kit included in the price (which is several 000's less than a Skoda). Cost-cutting Spanish sods don't even put in the £3 ice scraper. Well, really!

Do let me know where I can get the Ice scraper for £3 - It is genuinely useful (and also doubles as a magnifying glass):thumbup:

In reality I will genuinely miss the parking ticket holder and handle to help the vertically challenged close the boot lid - both of these feature in every Skoda, cost very little, yet are genuinely very useful on a day-to-day basis.

My concerns regarding the "thrummy" 3 pot engine have proved to be entirely unfounded. It is a genuine pleasure to drive, eager to rev and has a useful boost in torque, compared to the 1.2 TSi unit.

I'm in the process of fitting my old Skoda Rapid mud flaps (very cheap on Superskoda), swopping out all the tungsten interior bulbs and have re-cycled my old (Skoda Rapid) boot matt.

I'm genuinely grateful to camelspyder, whose post on the Westgate Toledo deal first brought this offer to my attention. I also received a very generous part ex on my Cascada (and a small profit;)) - many thanks to Ashley and Joe:thumbup:.

There really is nothing else available, at £11995, which offers the same level of specification, interior space and modern engine as this Toledo Xcellence. 

The LED lights are truly exceptional and I was also pleased to see the interior / ambient lighting now includes the interior door handles, front foot wells and a Toleda insignia, which lights up on the dash.

The only downsides thus far (barring the aforementioned ommissions) is the size of the glove box, which is now mostly taken up by a CD player (which is entirely superfluous). I do however benefit for an addtional SD card slot, which I'm using in conjunction with the USB slot under the dash to give a combined music library of 128 Gb. The manual for the car suggests a max of 32 Gb (for USB), but a 64 Gb stick works just fine:thumbup:

I looked at enabling Full-Link (£200), but given the functionality already on offer, this didn't seem to offer good value.  This can however be retro-fitted (its a code / software only on a 2017 Toledo), should I feel the need at any point in the future.

Also dissapointed to see the breakdown cover is only 2 years (3 years on a Skoda) and that map / software updates aren't free (they are on Skoda and SEAT's in Europe).

The tyres are also an odd size (215/40/17) and my preferred Michelin Cross Climates aren't available. I am however fortunate to still possess a set of steel wheels / Continental Winter tyres (185/60/15) from my old Rapid (supplied at a very competitive price by Rainworth Skoda - ask for Jonathan), which will go on November - March. I was expecting a poor ride on the 17", but in reality it's OK.

Given this isn't a SEAT forum I'm not planning a full review, but given the obvious similarity between the Toledo and Rapid, my comments thus far (probably) have a valid place on Briskoda.

Fuelly updates to follow...............................

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 1