40,000 mile service - What is done?

As title really, my car is due its 40,000 mile service soon. I was under the impression that Oil, filters & spark plugs would be changed? But my local garage haven't quoted me for spark plug change?

Anyone shed any light on this.

The Spark plugs might not be done buy some when you pay £269 for a Major Service and they might want £100 or so to do them, 

and yet some Main Dealers might do them.

Major Services and even Minor Services at Skoda Main Dealers can be a big rip off, even more expensive than a VW Main Dealer Service, 

but they might want £299 for a Major Service with Spark Plugs replaced.

Ask them what they are doing for the quoted Service price and are you getting a Air Filter changed.

Have you had the Brake Fluid Changed yet or is the car not 3 years old?   That is yet another extra to pay.

28 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

The Spark plugs might not be done buy some when you pay £269 for a Major Service and they might want £100 or so to do them, 

and yet some Main Dealers might do them.

Major Services and even Minor Services at Skoda Main Dealers can be a big rip off, even more expensive than a VW Main Dealer Service, 

but they might want £299 for a Major Service with Spark Plugs replaced.

Ask them what they are doing for the quoted Service price and are you getting a Air Filter changed.

Have you had the Brake Fluid Changed yet or is the car not 3 years old?   That is yet another extra to pay.

Thanks for your reply. This isn't main dealer, haven't used them since I bought the car as the prices are just too high. This is from my trusted local independent garage, they have listed what is to be carried out on the quote and that is just oil and filter change. I will contact them again and double check whether spark plugs and brake fluid should be changed as well, the car is 3 years old this month.

5 minutes ago, Matt17121991 said:

Thanks for your reply. This isn't main dealer, haven't used them since I bought the car as the prices are just too high. This is from my trusted local independent garage, they have listed what is to be carried out on the quote and that is just oil and filter change. I will contact them again and double check whether spark plugs and brake fluid should be changed as well, the car is 3 years old this month.

Skoda quote that the brake fluid should be changed after 3 years, then every 2 years after that.

It is Manufacturers Schedule / Guideline time to change spark plugs at 40,000 miles or at least to check them, and when you do that you are as well to change.

But then some will say 65,000 miles, and they are official dealerships and should know.

Spark Plugs are consumables, not that expensive and as well to change.

Only if the correct plugs a supplied and the correct gap checked for even though preset.

Amazing how professionals can mess that up though, Main Dealer or Independents.

PS

Remember that if the Service is not at a Main Dealership then the Body Inspection & Report will not be on the Service & Maintenance record and inspection 

so the Paint / Corrosion Warranty can get knocked back if you were claiming, 

and some Dealerships ask for 1 hours labour to just do an Inspection yet during a Service it probably never takes even 10 minutes, not even 5 minutes and it is included in a service, used to be annually, now might be 2 years between with variable / flexible servicing.

20 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

PS

Remember that if the Service is not at a Main Dealership then the Body Inspection & Report will not be on the Service & Maintenance record and inspection 

so the Paint / Corrosion Warranty can get knocked back if you were claiming, 

and some Dealerships ask for 1 hours labour to just do an Inspection yet during a Service it probably never takes even 10 minutes, not even 5 minutes and it is included in a service, used to be annually, now might be 2 years between with variable / flexible servicing.

Not massively fussed about that to be honest. Not paying almost £80 more for someone to walk around my car, seems silly.

The garage have now been corrected and yes the spark plugs will be changed along with brake fluid. Just under £237 all in seems good to me.

Edited by Matt17121991
  • Like 1

The Corrosion Warranty is not worth bothering about unless the car is a keeper for maybe a decade and then you will be checking and dealing with matters sooner rather than later.

It is just that some have had a shock when having paint or corrosion issues & going expecting to have it dealt with under Warranty and being told that they had not followed Warranty T & C's.

Seems like a decent price, I just got the 40k done at the main dealer for 269 with spark plugs (on flexible servicing) , also got the brake fluid and a/c regas done and a free MOT. Only really went main dealer so I could get a warranty job done too but it was nice to get a free wash and vac.