Fire extinguisher

Teflon1

Fitted using the cable clamps as suggested on previous posts, good job thanks! Used a Kiddie 1kg easy action that fits perfectly also same type as Land Rover, BMW etc use.

IMG_0462.JPG

• Like 2

I've had one fitted to my cars since travelling in Europe where they are required in most countries.

In the Octavia it had a swing down carrier bag hook in the boot on the left hand side. The same mounts for the hook were available on the right hand side too so I used these to mount the extinguisher bracket to, just need to drill another hole in the bracket to fit. Mine is the Kiddie one like Teflon's, Just over £10 from Costco iirc.

There really isn't any one suitable location for fitting a fire extinguisher;

under one of the front seats and you may not get access to it on a frontal or side impact. 

Fit one in the boot and possibly lose  access to it in a rear impact. 

Fit one in each location and you've increased your chances of being able to gain access to at least one of them. 

Unless you're the middle vehicle in a multiple RTC!   BD

Only reason mine is in the boot is I was in truck accident that ended up with the truck on it's side. Although I wasn't injured from the accident I nearly died after a fire extinguisher was dislodged by the passenger climbing out. The extinguisher first hit me on the head before discharging filling the cab with powder that I couldn't see through to enable me to climb out whilst displaced the air in the cab and suffocating me.

On 19/07/2017 at 15:42, FurryFriend said:

Good idea! 

Never know when you might need it. 

The problem is if you need it 1KG will be nowhere near big enough to put a fire out.

• Like 1

Guest FurryFriend
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

The problem is if you need it 1KG will be nowhere near big enough to put a fire out.

No, it won't, but it might be the difference between getting your passengers and yourself out. Having had a dashboard fire on a car about 15 years ago due to an electrical fault, we lost the car, but all got out safely. I'd rather have something than nothing. 

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Fire extinguishers in cars are only there to enable you to knock back a fire enough for you to get out of the car.

The only thing to put the fire out is big, red and noisy.

Great post thank you Teflon1.  I've just ordered a Kidde 1kg.  Less than £13 on the Bay. 

I had previously considered a number of different extinguishers and locations, but yours look ideal.

11 hours ago, merseadog said:

The small one that is really effective is Bromochlorodifluoromethane  I think is banned now due to environmental issues. But if you see one like I did at a boot sale, grab it.

As Teflon says, illegal to discharge it.

Well, I've fitted one as per OP and it does look a good job.

But I am concerned that when fitted with this orientation, the bracket/strap/clamp assembly may have insufficient strength to restrain the extinguisher in the event a front end collision.  During impact, I fear the inertia of a 1kg extinguisher could cause it to be torn from the assembly, causing injury to driver's feet.

Of course I may be worrying unnecessarily.  But for my own peace of mind (and with all due respect to OP) I might eventually decide on an alternative location.

Edited by Robjon