Should I be worried?

Hi all

Sorry for the long story.My vRS been serviced yesterday where I bought the car. After 6-7 months I noticed the coolant level has dropped, I thought it`s normal so I topped it up and left it. Went on a long trip and when I came back I`ve checked again and it was below the minimum level but the warning light was not on yet. Went to the dealer and bought some coolant and asked them what to do. They said top it up and keep your eyes on it. I brought the car in for an early service because I`m off to Europe from this week and I would`ve overrun the mileage. Anyway I told them to have a look if there is any leaks anywhere so they`ve put it on the list.They called me midday yesterday to say a pressure test has been by the mechanics by putting the coolant system on 2 bar for 1 hour ( which is a lot!!! - said the guy on the phone) but no leaks at all. I was relieved so when I went to pick the car up. I have a dashcam and I was curious how the pressure test was done so I started watching the records. This is where the main story starts, They took my car to the workshop where the ramp was for about 10 minutes then drove it out park it up then left the engine running. 5 minutes later some guys jumps in and lays on the throttle revving the car for 5 minutes ( it was painful to hear :crying: ) then let it idle for another 5 minutes and stop. The bonnet was open all the time but not one person touched it. The dash is connected to the rear wipers so it is only records constantly when the ignition is on and go to sleep mode after 3 minutes when off. So the question is should I complain straight away? I don`t even think the oil has been changed at all or the air filter or the pollen filter which was due. I didn`t have time to check yet but I`m sure you need to take the glovebox out to be able to change the pollen filter...

Can this constant high revving damage the engine at all or anything else?

Thanks for reading

The oil and filters would have been changed with the ignition off, so your cam would not have recorded that.

In my opinion those dash cams just cause more trouble, there are some things in life you dont need to know. At the end of the day as long as the work has been done and the car isn't damaged, who cares.

Now that sounds very much like engine abuse to me - and it sounds suspiciously like the service wasn't done either. Tell the service manager what you have on the camera and ask for an explanation.  

You can easily check if the oïl & air filter has been changed & as Glosrich says these were likely done with the engine off so were not capture by the camera.

Whilst I don't see the relevance to any of the work being done, revving the engine in neutral is not really that bad for the engine.

There's no real force going through the pistons or cylinders & the engine is designed to do that anyway except under much higher load & températures when you are actually moving.

If the oïl & filters are not changed then this would be grounds to complain & you can use the dashcam footage as perhaps a way to emphasise your dissatistfaction with the treatment of your car.

Have you checked the oil on the dipstick to see if is clean oil, I had an issue a few years ago when I had a vectra serviced, got home and on checking the oil level noticed the oil was still dirty and jet black, took it back to the dealer the next day and they gave me a **** and bull story about how some of the old oil would have remained and made the new oil black, I knew from doing and getting many oil changes on various other cars in the past that it should be clean oil showing on the dipstick, later that week I done my own oil change on the vectra and it was nice and clean on the stick. Obviously never used the dealer again but believe no part of the service was completed and they gave me the car back without any servicing, I went back to complain again and that time was met with a bully boy who got aggressive and told me not to accuse them of lying. 

On my Octavia I check the oil level every 1000 miles and it was not till after 5000 miles that it started to go black\dirty looking.

oil_dipstick_dirty_low.jpg

change-oil-dipstick.jpg

Edited by POWYSWALES
Edit
  • Like 2