TSI Engines Turbo Chargers

Hi, I have several questions:

1) Does the 1.2TSI and the 1.4 TSI models EA211 have the same kind of turbo? Or they have different ones, if so which turbo each has?

2) The 1.8TSi and the 2.0 TSI engines models EA888 have the k04 turbo charger, does it mean that they can produce the same amount of boost?

I thought the K04 was only on the Golf Type R/S3/Cupra 290 etc 2.0....I thought the VRS 2.0 had a smaller one? 

If I understand the question are you asking if a smaller engine with the same turbo can produce the same boost? I guess the max boost possible would be from the bigger capacity, but I imagine in both cases boost is limited way below the max possible?

6 minutes ago, juan27 said:

I thought the K04 was only on the Golf Type R/S3/Cupra 290 etc 2.0....I thought the VRS 2.0 had a smaller one? 

If I understand the question are you asking if a smaller engine with the same turbo can produce the same boost? I guess the max boost possible would be from the bigger capacity, but I imagine in both cases boost is limited way below the max possible?

I know for sure that k04 is used in every 1.8,2.0 TSI from gen3. I asked if you can get the same boost, not power, from each of them.

My second question was if the 1.2 and 1.4 TSI have the same turbo in models EA211.

20 hours ago, Danskoda said:

I know for sure that k04 is used in every 1.8,2.0 TSI from gen3. I asked if you can get the same boost, not power, from each of them.

My second question was if the 1.2 and 1.4 TSI have the same turbo in models EA211.

I didn't mention power? 

Your question is quite vague but to clarify my response:

I believe the theoretical maximum boost available is greater from the bigger engine as it can pump out more exhaust gases to drive the turbocharger.

The actual maximum boost produced in both cases (ie the pressure applied to the inlet manifold) may be the same or not, but that's more down to the engine management software than the engine size .

So in fact two different applications of the 1.8TSi might produce different maximum boost.  

Similarly an aftermarket remap can make the same engine produce more boost than it will at standard spec.   

I don't think you got the answer you wanted, but that maybe because you aren't asking the right question? 

Why does it matter if the 1.8 and 2.0 produce the same boost?  

Edited by juan27

19 hours ago, Danskoda said:

I know for sure that k04 is used in every 1.8,2.0 TSI from gen3.

The K04 is a Borg Warner turbocharger. The 2.0 TSi now (O3) uses an IHI turbocharger.   

I don't know if any current EA888 uses a K04 but my understanding is that the VRS TSi definitely does not have the bigger turbo fitted to EA888 applications with > 280PS (Golf R, Leon Cupra etc)

20 hours ago, Danskoda said:

Sorry, but you shouldnt be sure of anything because thats completely wrong.

The 1.8 (180hp) uses IHI IS 12

The 2.0 (- 230hp) uses IHI iS 20

The 2.0 (280-300hp) uses IHI IS 38

I dont know about the new 245 hp version, but they probably uses IS 20 also

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, norsko said:

Sorry, but you shouldnt be sure of anything because thats completely wrong.

The 1.8 (180hp) uses IHI IS 12

The 2.0 (- 230hp) uses IHI iS 20

The 2.0 (280-300hp) uses IHI IS 38

I dont know about the new 245 hp version, but they probably uses IS 20 also

This is correct. IHI turbo was also used in the previous Gen of EA888 i.e. MK6 Golf GTI.

K03 + K04 were fitted to the older EA113 engines.

• 8 months later...