Which Fabia Diesel?

Hi all, can anyone offer advice on which is the 'better' (reliability is my primary concern) of the older Diesel engines? 

Looking at either the 1.4tdi or 1.9tdi to replace my Octavia Vrs, as I only need a small car now.

If possible I would like to avoid dpf equipped cars, so if anyone knows which model years this applied to please help!

General advice on what to look out for with the Fabia would also be welcome.

TIA - Andy

Your fine for up to 2009 with the 1.9 engine, these didn't come with the DPF or dodgey EGR valves.

its the newer 2010+ models which are the facelift with different bumpers, insides, electrics and newer 1.6 TDi that has the DPF fitted.

Cheers everyone! That's great to know. Not actually tried the 1.4tdi in a Fabia yet - any good?

Tried it in a little Audi A2 years ago and it was OK round town but I didn't get chance to try on a longer run.

Andy

13 hours ago, cheepo said:

I have a fabia 2010 1.4 TDI sport 80bhp that don't have the dpf 

Its only the Greenline model that has the DPF, the 1, 2, 3 and Sport should all be OK. The 1.4 TDI is fine, I had one that I ran up to 172K miles and it still ran great and even though it was the 70bhp version (75 and 80 also available) it pulled great/maintained a high speed on the daily climb over the Pennines, and was fine on motorway journeys keeping up with outside lane traffic. 

Edited by KeithCheetham

motorway journeys ok  like keith said. in the 2years of haveing mine not had any  probs  I think you will find it hard going from a vrs any way take 1 for a test drive to see wot you think 

I have had a 2010 1.6 diesel since 2011 and recommend that you avoid it. The exhaust has a DPF. The cam belt needs replacing every 5 years which is a lot of money as most of the engine has to come out.  The physically smaller engines don't have that problem to the same extent.

The gearing is weird giving a theoretical top speed in 5th of 175 mph. That means pupping away, reversing and towing a large trailer or caravan is not nice. Fuel consumption should and could be better.

Sure the car goes like a rocket. I have caught out the owners of large Mercedes saloons in a traffic light drag race once or twice and it is great for overtaking on country roads (40-70 mph in third gear).

On 30/07/2017 at 08:13, hanseandy said:

Cheers everyone! That's great to know. Not actually tried the 1.4tdi in a Fabia yet - any good?

Tried it in a little Audi A2 years ago and it was OK round town but I didn't get chance to try on a longer run.

Andy

I asked a similar question in the Mk1 Fabia section, was also asking about petrol engines too. Cut to the chase I figured out that out of the diesel engines the 1.9TDi is the lump to go for. Ok I was after a Mk1, also I gathered this earlier model was a better one too (better screwed together) but what do I know?

As said what do I know? I haven't even got one/found one yet so maybe ill informed to give a judgement, still looking though.

I had the 80ps 1422cc pd engined estate and ran that for 5 years. It's was BRILLIANT! 195nm of torque at 2200rpm!! Pulls like a train and cruises comfortably at any speed up to 85mph fully loaded. Very smooth once run in. Top wack about 110mph with the estate. I had zero problems with mine and it was very very economical in the range of 54-72mpg. Get one!

I have a 1.4tdi 80 without a DPF, but mine is a 57 plate, the newer ones will have a DPF. if your getting a car with a DPF anyway then id go for a 1.6tdi, the 1.4 is okay on the motorway but I find it a bit noisy and slightly gutless when you get to the speed limit. also getting on short slip roads can be a slight challenge, nothing dangerous but could do with a bit more umph!

saying all this, mine is 10 years old and 85K miles, so its probably not going to be as good as car that's 4 years old anyway.

On 7/29/2017 at 10:27, hutchysrs50 said:

Your fine for up to 2009 with the 1.9 engine.

The 1.9tdi Fabia`s (no DPF) were sold until 2010. There are 7 on autotrader right now. The engine is a legend for longevity. This one gets my vote.

Edited by m8t

Just sold my wife's mk1 1.9tdi I have also had the mk11 1.9tdi and from owning and using them both side by side the mk1 is certainly better screwed together ok they may be getting on a bit now but good ones are out there ( just move quick when one comes up ) 

my understanding is that the ' newer ' 1.4 and 1.6 diesels with dpfs don't have the same issues as the earlier versions, I can't vouch for this though

interestingly enough I'm just having my 1.9 tdi Octavia (  2009 fl estate ) fully checked over by my friendly local ' Indy ' garage as it does everything I want from a car without dpf etc issues my school of thought is if I look after it ......... it'll look after me, time will tell 

( just got a readout display of 65.1 mpg on a 280 Mile round trip from Yorkshire to Leicester fully laden with daughters uni ' life ' on the way there and constant holds ups on the way back )

Edited by davidwhite

1 hour ago, m8t said:

The 1.9tdi Fabia`s (no DPF) were sold until 2010. There are 7 on autotrader right now. The engine is a legend for longevity. This one gets my vote.

Indeed, 2010 was the change over year so any 2009 / 59 is fine.

they changed the emissions rules so went to 1.6 after that.

Thanks for all the responses everyone, very useful.

think my preference is the 1.9 tdi,  I'm actually not too fussy if it's a mk1 or mk2. That said if a 1.4 comes up for sale locally I'll give it a go:D

Andy