OSR Door Deadlock "Locked-on" - MOT Failure

I'm working on my my son's terrific Mk 1 1.9TDi (2004) which has failed the MOT Test on a central locking fault. The OSR passenger door will not open from either inside or out.

Work carried out thus far;

• Completely stripped out the door of it's "card" and regulator control/mounting panel.
  • Tried, pulling the remote cable which connects to the internal door handle.
  • Tried, pushing back the remote operating rod, which connects to the door capping button.
  • Tried, re-setting the lock mechanism "re-set" spring and operating the lock release lever from inside the door.
  • Operated the central locking by keyfob, whilst tapping the locking mechanism quite hard with a 4oz hammer, to see if shock/vibration in the motor body might induse operation. Could feel some slight operating vibration as if some movement was taking place, but lock didn't unlock. Soundwise, louder when "locking", lesser when "unlocking" or not as in this case.
  • Tried, unplugging the power connector ( black body, blue interior ) from the motor, but plug won't let go and can't find the usual tag or security device.

Has anyone had this problem and found a fix or come across a sneeky way to release the deadlock. Your collective experience would be much valued.

Best regards everyone - Roy@ck

Thank you w.t100 for your suggestion, do you have any advise on how to break the motor unit, as access is somewhat limited - is it to try and split the casing along the join where it is screw assembled?

Best regards - Roy@ck

Thank you w.t100 and sepulchrave for your collective advice. I do have a long, thin cold chisel (8mm x 6mm x150mm) which is sharp - so I'll give this a try.

Thank you both once again for your interest - best regards - Roy@ck

I have done it on 2 rear doors and it can be a pain,After removing the door card I tried one by trying to bash it out with a hammer and chisel and it was a right pain to do and made a mess ! the easiest way is to have a small dremil drill with a blade/disc in it that will cut plastic and you cut an opening in the side of the plastic casing to reveal the edge of a gear wheel, you then have a small screwdriver to turn the cog one way buy about 1/2 inch and also have a piece of small rod to hold the cog in position/tension and then turn the cog another 1/2 inch and you keep going until the lock mechanism comes out of deadlock (see pics) ! cheers Stuart

P1060010.JPG

P1060181.JPG

Edited by sparky2
added pics
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, mogwye said:

Could the lock then be used after you had freed the deadlock, or was it scrap.

DB.

In my case the door would shut and could be reopened but I left the plug disconnected until I fitted the new lock the following day so it couldn't lock, but there was nothing of value left in the car overnight so I didn't care.

• Like 1

if you are trying to move it with your finger you HAVE to lock it in that position after turning it with say a small screwdriver as it is spring loaded ! you have to just keep on turning it in one direction until you hear a whirring noise as the deadlock disengages !

• Like 1