Andy's Rusty 1.9D Pickup

AndrewDH

Hi all.

Thought I would create a build thread for my new (to me) 2000 LX1.9 Straight Diesel, Skoda Pickup. I've only come into owning this car recently so no progress has really been made with it other than just finding everything that's broken with it at the moment. So here are some more pictures than I posted on my welcome thread.

At first glance.

For a vehicle of its age the panels are in surprisingly good nick. Very straight with only one or two small dents throughout.

Z97HxeL.jpg?1

Looks like someone cared about this little thing at one point. Checker-plate'd the whole bed. Not sure If I'll keep this? Either way it will have to come out to fix whatever lies beneath :sweat:

c2CApzM.jpg?1

...and a towbar? win!

B10o5f3.jpg

It's all downhill from here...

The sills have had some real patchy weld work done and as you can see there's some rust beneath the trim behind the cabin or side of the bulkhead?

m10m0lY.jpg?1

The tailgate has really seen better days... :speechless:  ...and the bonnet hinge has dropped which is making it rub on the passenger wing when opened.

sbHvstC.jpg?1   lVgl5WC.jpg?1

Interior wasn't in much better shape either but I've already made it a much nicer place to be! (more on that later.)

Kbc9NVe.jpg?1

And here is the last piece of the puzzle, the engine. What a mess! Heaps of wires going everywhere. Looks like some sort of immobiliser bypass going on? Not sure. This probably has something to do with all the little annoying things this pickup does. (Sometimes wont turn off even with the key in the STOP position, Wipers come on by themselves etc etc...)

3StR7ZM.jpg?1

For all its flaws

It's still has the potential to be brought back to what it once must have been. An awesome little reliable pickup (or at least I hope it can be brought back!)

The future

So here is what the immediate future holds for now:

• Fix the pickup not turning off when key is in STOP position.
  • Fix the Heater blower not working at all
  • Fix the wipers coming on by themselves
  • Fix aaaaall the rust
  • Replace and fix the missing/damaged interior trim
  • New Seats
  • New wheels
  • Maybe lower it?

So my next post will be photos from when I gave the interior of this the clean of its life and the results are stunning considering I'm no detailer!

And if any of you guys have ideas for this I'd be glad to hear them! I really think it has potential. Just gonna take a lot of work!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back with an update!

Rust...rust everywhere...

I have started work with the help of my brother and dad on fixing this little thing. One of the latest major problems that has come to light is the rust in the engine bay (specifically underneath the battery.) that has caused water to get straight into the fuse box...uh-oh :sweat:

DyzIp3d.jpgfTVkpuX.jpg

So we have decided to fix the engine bay area first. Went ahead and got a new fuse box and wiring loom from another pickup. (as well as some other interior pieces but I'll get to those in a later post.)

So we tackled the battery tray and another couple of pieces in the engine bay. So feel free to have a gander at the before and after's.

ywtcjIW.jpg6rdn2DJ.jpg

tGgXvoG.jpgB2O2WHV.jpg

So just a little update. Heaps more work ahead. The rust is never ending but I'm telling myself it will be worth it! :biggrin: