Replacing the Rapid .... what next ?

Replacing their Rapid .... what next ?

Our MY2016 SE Sport Rapid Spaceback is going soon and im looking for a replacement...  question is what ?

Looked at Golfs, A1's. A3's, New Ibiza, even a new Qashuai but cant say im 100% taken on by them really.. our Spaceback has now near 10k miles on it and will be 2 years old at the end of this year and its not missed a beat and has been a useful and cheap car to run with the 1.4tdi engine.

Need to get some test drives booked, but intrested to hear what other people have replaced their car with

Cheers

38 minutes ago, R1100 said:

why not get another Rapid or an Octavia hatch?

Another Rapid was an option, however its a shame its not had any real facelift so is a bit too samey if thats even a word.

Looked at a Octavia Hatch, Mrs does not like them but does like an estate Octy, however that is very simlair to my estate 2016 Superb..

I just wish the prices for the Karoq were out and could order one of them

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2017 at 22:09, RickTT said:

Replacing their Rapid .... what next ?

Our MY2016 SE Sport Rapid Spaceback is going soon and im looking for a replacement...  question is what ?

Looked at Golfs, A1's. A3's, New Ibiza, even a new Qashuai but cant say im 100% taken on by them really.. our Spaceback has now near 10k miles on it and will be 2 years old at the end of this year and its not missed a beat and has been a useful and cheap car to run with the 1.4tdi engine.

Need to get some test drives booked, but intrested to hear what other people have replaced their car with

Cheers

Only a year old? Why? I buy them at this age and save a fortune!

• Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 19:34, RMurphy195 said:

It will be 2 years old at the end of this year..

On 26/08/2017 at 19:34, RMurphy195 said:

How much do you save at one year old? Loads on here saving £8600 on brand new Toledo's at the moment.

• 2 months later...

Rapid replacement has been ordered and due mid Jan.

One of these but in Gun Metal Grey.

Decent spec, stuff like Sat nav, 360' Camera, Keyless, Highbeam assist, Traffic Sign Rec, folding mirrors, auto lights / wipers, LED Lights, lane departure, Front and rear parking sensors, DAB etc etc

nissan-qashqai-1-2-tekna-automaat-glassr

nissan-qashqai-1-2-tekna-automaat-glassr

Edited by RickTT

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2017 at 10:39, RMurphy195 said:

Hyundai I20? Especially consider if towing a small caravan.

I have also got a My16 Superb estate from new, so this car is just the second one for the Mrs,  so it will only be an urban driver...

05-nissan-qashqai-gun-metallic.png

Edited by RickTT

• 4 weeks later...

I'll resurrect this old thread. I have been contemplating changing my Rapid. It's a great car and has been faultless and cheap to run, loads of space for all our kit for family holidays etc. I have however mentioned before my frustrations with the Cabin Air control system (manual ac in the Rapid Sport) which causes my daughter to kick up a terrible fuss because she is hot and stuffy in the back unless it's set to full cold - which in the depths of a cold, damp day is pretty uncomfortable for everyone else. So I want to upgrade to Auto Climate Control and get a few more bells and whistles.

I got an invitation to a 'special VIP event' at the dealer I bought it from and after admiring a Karoq from afar I took the family in for a 'look but don't touch session' a week before the event. Well, so much for good intentions... (It is nearly my birthday)

Anyway, long story short, got chatting with a very honest salesman and after a quick spin with darling daughter in the back, ended up signing up for a brand new, unregistered Octavia SE 150 Tdi 6G manual. They had 3 of the same colour in stock and wanted rid quick to make room apparently. It has plenty of goodies (all I ever need) and the new infotainment system (even the base Bolero one) is brilliant. Diesel will work as I am changing work location with a 60 mile round trip commute each day (rather than 18). Due to them knocking over £3k off the rrp, and then the retail PCP £3000 VW deposit offer on top (with 2 free services) AND a very good trade-in on the Rapid (pays to keep em clean!) - it's costing me nothing to change - with pretty much the same monthly payment. More space, more toys and a content daughter. (and a further 3 years warranty and no MOT).

Once I sign, seal and collect, I'll mosey on over to the Octavia III threads...

(if anyone is interested - they may have 2 more to shift?)

It's interesting that you went for the Octavia from a Rapid: I tried a couple of Octavia's last month, and couldn't cope with the low frequency rumble/resonance which both Octavia's seemed to make.

It's possible that my mistake was to thoroughly read through the Octavia forum here before the test drive(s), and give me the idea of listening for a resonance, or the route the garage directed me in the car had the sort of coarse road surface that provoked the noise in an otherwise very quiet (petrol) car.

Anyway, needing a bit more room than my Fabia ii combi, I ended up with a 6 month old 1.2 Sport Rapid (not spaceback).

So far the (very occasional) rear seat passengers haven't complained about being too hot, but it is still winter: time will tell.

Good luck with your Octavia.

John_H

6 hours ago, johnh510 said:

It's interesting that you went for the Octavia from a Rapid: I tried a couple of Octavia's last month, and couldn't cope with the low frequency rumble/resonance which both Octavia's seemed to make.

It's possible that my mistake was to thoroughly read through the Octavia forum here before the test drive(s), and give me the idea of listening for a resonance, or the route the garage directed me in the car had the sort of coarse road surface that provoked the noise in an otherwise very quiet (petrol) car.

Anyway, needing a bit more room than my Fabia ii combi, I ended up with a 6 month old 1.2 Sport Rapid (not spaceback).

So far the (very occasional) rear seat passengers haven't complained about being too hot, but it is still winter: time will tell.

Good luck with your Octavia.

John_H

You didnt test drive from WESTGATE did you? A Rolls Royce Phantom would rumble on the A180 part of their test drive, let alone a mere mortal car like the Octavia.  I'm amazed they sell anything after demonstrating the ride of their cars on their usual route :)

Another question - What are the OEM tyre options on that Octy?  For whatever reason the Rapids 17 inch choice has gone from Dunlop (awful NVH) to Continental (quite good really) to Bridgestone (not as good - certainly noisier and worse riding than the Conti).  It's strange that the manufacturers change tyres and directly affect (for the worse) the ride and comfort of their cars.  I was not impressed to find the Bridgestones on my new car make the vehicles ride less satisfactory than the Contis on my mechanically identical trade-in!

Edited by camelspyyder

I didn’t pay attention to what tyres were fitted - black and round ones as far as I could tell... ;-) 

they were 16s though on pretty bland alloys - I can live with blandness as I can maybe lose a little kerb anxiety and I figured 205/55 r16 tyres will be pretty cheap to replace.

i thought the ride was fine and then the salesman piped up that he realises that the tyres were still set to delivery 3.0 bar pressure! Still felt okay and not too crashy. I was more interested in ensuring her ladyship was comfortable in the back anyway!

17 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

You didnt test drive from WESTGATE did you? A Rolls Royce Phantom would rumble on the A180 part of their test drive, let alone a mere mortal car like the Octavia.  I'm amazed they sell anything after demonstrating the ride of their cars on their usual route :)

Another question - What are the OEM tyre options on that Octy?  For whatever reason the Rapids 17 inch choice has gone from Dunlop (awful NVH) to Continental (quite good really) to Bridgestone (not as good - certainly noisier and worse riding than the Conti).  It's strange that the manufacturers change tyres and directly affect (for the worse) the ride and comfort of their cars.  I was not impressed to find the Bridgestones on my new car make the vehicles ride less satisfactory than the Contis on my mechanically identical trade-in!

No, my test drive wasn't from Westgate.

I didn't check the tyre make on either of the Octavias I tried, but they were both on fairly standard (SE on 16"?) wheels, as far as I recall.

The first one was a 1.0 litre SE about 18 months old, 10K miles, so it would probably be on the original tyres. I can't even remember the second one other than getting a couple of hundred yards up the road and turning straight back with it. Low frequency resonance/vibration really upsets me.

My Rapid is on 17" Bridgestones.  Noise and feel of uneven roads is not bad - it's a bit firm as you might expect at "eco" 2.5 bar all around - but it settles down on a reasonable motorway, which is what it was really bought for (that, large boot, and rear legroom).

If I still have it when the tyres get worn down I'll try and remember to get some Contis fitted, or even have look here to see what is considered best then.

At 36000 miles Conti Premium Contact 2 on the Toledo(rapid) were legal but no longer grippy with 3mm all round. They did still ride smoother and quieter than the brand new OEM Bridgestone on the replacement Toledo though.