Skoda Octavia VRS Estate or Seat Leon FR ST?

9 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

& other world wide known tuners will sell you a remap for a 1.4TSI that gives over 300Nm with a DQ200 DSG box and this causes no issues.

There are other world wide known tuners / manufacturers / software providers that will sell you software and clutch packs for a DQ200 when your engine is producing over 250Nm.

Like Manufacturers staying within safe limits with their factory engines BHP / Torque they do the same with gearboxes.

*Never stopped VW Group turning out a pretty high number of Lemons in their TSI / TFSI's be that 1.2,1.4,1.8 or 2.0 litre.*

Not sure on the DQ200's being weak as plenty are certainly not. But then they manage to turn out lemons as well with gearboxes..

There are failures due to manufacturing faults, fluid and software issues from the factory be that a VW or Skoda Built DQ200,

hence Service Campaigns 34F7  & the latest one started last year 34H5, & obviously the World Wide Recall excluding Europe, and the World Regions that had warranty extensions on DQ200 DSG's.

plenty of people on Seat & VW forums with problems on standard & tuned engines with the DQ200, MQ250 etc gearboxes which are lemons...as you say..

If you have a DSG there are more uprated clutch packs for these DSG gearboxes, so tuning them over the VAG limits can be safer in the long term...just build the extra cost £850 for the packs plus labour...

The options for uprated clutchs for the manual MQ250 are fewer & not as uprated as the DQ versions.

If car still in warranty, I would not recommend tuning beyond the VAG limits unless fitting uprated packs. as if the 5h1t hits the fan , then that's out of your pocket..

Anyway back OT ,....the Octavia is 5inches longer than your current Seat....do you pack car in garage & can you get this in?

I never understand this 'Not Modifying until out of Manufacturers Warranty stuff'   

If you own a car, yours bought and paid for and you want to tune then after a year or 2 years you surely know if the car is good then you fill your boots knowing if it goes t!ts up you foot the bill.

Odd IMO that at maybe 2 years where people think, 'must wait 12 months more while the manufacturers warranty is valid, then i will remap and if it goes wrong pay out my own pocket'.

Often the issue is it is not the drivers car when on finance and then they plan on modding when they own the vehicle, 

probably a bad move if a Warranty matters and at 3 years they would be better not modding and buying a Warranty.

9 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

I never understand this 'Not Modifying until out of Manufacturers Warranty stuff'   

If you own a car, yours bought and paid for and you want to tune then after a year or 2 years you surely know if the car is good then you fill your boots knowing if it goes t!ts up you foot the bill.

Odd IMO that at maybe 2 years where people think, 'must wait 12 months more while the manufacturers warranty is valid, then i will remap and if it goes wrong pay out my own pocket'.

Often the issue is it is not the drivers car when on finance and then they plan on modding when they own the vehicle, 

probably a bad move if a Warranty matters and at 3 years they would be better not modding and buying a Warranty.

Not sure why it seems so odd... One of the main benefits of a new car is the warranty. Anything goes wrong, you throw the keys at the dealer, they lend you a car to keep you moving and they ring you when it's done. No bill, no hassle, no having to get the bus while the car is being repaired. Might as well make the most of this while you can? Each to their own I guess...

• 1 month later...

Surely if you're worried about warranty and failure, just pay for the extended warranty. If you're not, remap it from day one. George is right, this magical warranty period of 3 years is misleading, a failure caused by modification is  always going to cost!  

From another thread, clutch warranty claims are a good example of why you’d want to wait until the standard warranty runs out. 

No modifications, low-ish mileage of 15-30k miles, can be a tough battle with dealer/manufacturer that can be fought (and possibly won) in small claims court. 

Remapped, especially for power, yes you could drive it like a granny or all your previous cars never had clutch problems, but you’ll lose out as it’s now beyond manufacturer spec. 

At least by 2 or 3 years you’ve bedded the clutch and other parts in, knowing it’s a good un to begin with, before modding. 

From the options list, I'd say to skip the variable boot floor, most people say its garbage. If you need the flat loading space you could make one :D

As for the heated stuff, don't skoda offer it all in a 'Winter Pack' anymore? Its pretty good though. I've come from a ford and have had frosty mornings and laughed at the peasants scraping at the ice while I just used my windscreen heater. Didn't want to lose that :P

Parking sensors are a must, reverse parking camera is excellent too. I'd really want to recommend Park Assist because its ace seeing peoples reactions but it ends up being more trouble than it saves a lot of the time. It keeps thinking a black MX-5 at work is an empty space!

2 hours ago, LemonLime said:

I'd really want to recommend Park Assist because its ace seeing peoples reactions but it ends up being more trouble than it saves a lot of the time. It keeps thinking a black MX-5 at work is an empty space!

I've only ever used it a handful of times but it has worked pretty well when I have. Does it detect the MX5 mid-manoeuvre and abandon, or do you have to override it before it's too late?

18 hours ago, LemonLime said:

As for the heated stuff, don't skoda offer it all in a 'Winter Pack' anymore? I

yes, but in the sense of if you go to the configurator and tick the box for the £50 heated washer nozzles it says "hang on, you need the £300 heated windscreen too", and so you click to add the windscreen it says "oh, you'll need heated seats to go with that, would you prefer shelling out an extra £250 for jsut front heated seats, or £400 for cosy bottoms all round?" so therefore in the list of options they are separate, rather than an option for "winter pack"

It's annoying really. I'd quite like a heated windscreen without the enforced need for the other bits.

On 21/09/2017 at 22:05, ahenners said:

I've only ever used it a handful of times but it has worked pretty well when I have. Does it detect the MX5 mid-manoeuvre and abandon, or do you have to override it before it's too late?

As soon as it starts turning the wheel too soon I know so I stop it and move on. Though you can tell its picked up something incorrectly as you know how far it lets you move ahead of the space, if its not far enough then its picked up something wrong.

I understand they tried to make the whole thing as simple as possible to use but I would really love for it to allow me to cancel a detected space and head for the next one or offer me a selection of spaces and let me choose. Mostly to let me cancel a wrongly selected space or get the car to park in my spot at home that is right next to a bit of road next to it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wet Kipper said:

yes, but in the sense of if you go to the configurator and tick the box for the £50 heated washer nozzles it says "hang on, you need the £300 heated windscreen too", and so you click to add the windscreen it says "oh, you'll need heated seats to go with that, would you prefer shelling out an extra £250 for jsut front heated seats, or £400 for cosy bottoms all round?" so therefore in the list of options they are separate, rather than an option for "winter pack"

It's annoying really. I'd quite like a heated windscreen without the enforced need for the other bits.

Its most vexing. However a toasty butt and self-clearing windscreen is a winning combination in wintery mornings