Peed off

On my VRS 2010 cave... Ok so spark plugs changed to denso iridium 0.4mm setting from old NGK ... and all 4 coils replaced too as noticed misfire ... but tonight misfire again orange light on screen.... blinking away I'm like wtf? How can it do that wen it's all fresh ....

Said to garage could it be the densos ? Happy to revert back if power will return too as I've noticed lack of power too. 

OP....

I seem to recall reading those spark plugs are pre set and the gap should last the length of the plugs life ?

stab in the dark ( gap 0.8 ?? )

( don't take my word for it though after all my last 7 cars have been or are diesels )

Edited by davidwhite
Added to

6 minutes ago, danman5k said:

No that's how the iridium ones came ? Cud it be that then?  Don't see what would make this diff?

i will bet you my months wage they did not come set at 0.4mm.

Ive gone through 12 spark plugs over the 2 years (8 in mine and 4 in the other vrs) and they've never been set at 0.4mm, they've always been 0.8 bang on and thats with a feeler gauge too.

if memory serves me well they should be SKJ20CR-a8

Edited by LGM

Plugs set at 0.4mm will defo cause a missfire (all petrol engines i've worked on in 22 years in the motor trade have had a bigger gap.) The gap is too small for a spark to jump across proparly, the plug will just go straight to earth triggering the EML.

I'd reset the gap to 0.8mm and go from there.

• Like 1

??

How far to drive to the Garage?

The Turbo is probably inhibited now, & 2 cylinders can shut down to protect the engine.

What ever you do do not boot that car, best get the plugs removed where the car is and checked.

Still not sure that anyone set them at 0.4mm or  checked and left them at that.

Bluespark Tuning box guys were recommending 0.6mm but i never tried that, others did.

Too risky with a twincharger.

The 0.6mm was first brought up with vRSForever having a misfire with his CTHE with Bluespark Box and he was using the short reach DENSO & the smaller gap sorted out his issue at that time.

Seems OK with a Remap / tuning box but you have to be aware to monitor the plugs condition.

Edited by Awayoffski

update - checked sparks and coils all seem fine... another point they feel was fuel filter has not been changed it seems since 8k its now 60k which could also cause misfires... pipes and things are all in place nicely... so yeah could be fuel filter.

?

What were the plugs gaped at?

Are you certain on that Turbo Pipe sealed properly?

Small rubber pipe as well?

'FUEL FILTER CHANGED @ 8,000 miles'   

?

are you sure,  what is that on an Invoice or something?   Why would that have been done?

Fuel filter is a Fit for Life, but yes could need changing because some Dealerships do them at 40,000 miles.

As to misfires, if the plugs are right and the coils are right, and it is not the Exhaust on its way out, and not the Water Pump / Supercharger Magnetic Clutch on the way out then you need someone with the gear and more than a idea or a guess to diagnose the issue.

Edited by Awayoffski

9 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

?

What were the plugs gaped at?

Are you certain on that Turbo Pipe sealed properly?

Small rubber pipe as well?

'FUEL FILTER CHANGED @ 8,000 miles'   

?

are you sure,  what is that on an Invoice or something?   Why would that have been done?

Fuel filter is a Fit for Life, but yes could need changing because some Dealerships do them at 40,000 miles.

As to misfires, if the plugs are right and the coils are right, and it is not the Exhaust on its way out, and not the Water Pump / Supercharger Magnetic Clutch on the way out then you need someone with the gear and more than a idea or a guess to diagnose the issue.

Honestly I don't know, said on dealer stamp that is was changed at 8k . and did not know fuel filter is fit for life...  under my 1 year warranty im gonna see if they can do major service and diagnostics etc.

Edited by danman5k