Juddering when switching off

Is anyone experiencing a judder when they switch off their engine? I had the emissions update on my 1.6 tdi and shortly after i experienced this big judder every time i turn the engine off. The dealer said it's not update related....yeah right....

Anyone knows what it might be? 

Cheers 

Have you tried different switch off methods? Let the car run a min or two prior to turning off, a handful of times after a few journeys. Then perhaps try revving  a few times and switching off, after the drive. Try actually putting in two thousand revs, then switching off, keeping the foot on same gas setting until it dies off. Keep to one method at least six or so times so as to acclimatise and have a stable situation. Also, make sure the fuel is not contaminated... Replace the fuel filter if possible. Any work done on the fuelling may have let crud pass through and clog the flow a little. Could be overheating, too. Or even on engine mounting loose/perished. Did the workshop do any actual work on the car or just via computer obd port?

13 minutes ago, mrgf said:

Have you tried different switch off methods? Let the car run a min or two prior to turning off, a handful of times after a few journeys. Then perhaps try revving  a few times and switching off, after the drive. Try actually putting in two thousand revs, then switching off, keeping the foot on same gas setting until it dies off. Keep to one method at least six or so times so as to acclimatise and have a stable situation. Also, make sure the fuel is not contaminated... Replace the fuel filter if possible. Any work done on the fuelling may have let crud pass through and clog the flow a little. Could be overheating, too. Or even on engine mounting loose/perished. Did the workshop do any actual work on the car or just via computer obd port?

I always leave it 10-15 seconds before i switch it off. I though it might have been clutch related but even if I press and turn it off I still have the same issue. 

When it's doing a dpf regen it doesn't do it and that's because it's slightly reved. 

I only use Shell V+ or BP Ultimate and the fuel filter has been changed 2000 miles ago. 

I found that other people are experiencing this but with no explanation. Anti shudder valve says anything?

I don't have this engine but just offering general advise... I do have DPF though and would SERIOUSLY recommend not turning off mid-regen! Always finish the regen before finishing your drive if you can, even if it means driving back up and down the nearest dual carriageway a few times. Obviously you won't want to do this in stop-start, bumper to bumper rush hour traffic so if you can't regen, go out again at midnight to do it properly. Half-done, hash-up regen's will eventually kill the DPF or clog it, requiring a forced region at around £200 a pop. Even when the light goes off, it has only JUST become clean enough to not need more driving. A good, hard drive now and then is the best thing for a DPF.

If the Dealerships Master Tech is so certain that  ' The Fix' they did to apply new engine management is not responsible for the change in the engines behaviour then he or she will be able to diagnose what the issue is and the VW Group will pay or pay for someone competent to diagnose the fault because Skoda UK and the VW Group are guaranteeing that The Fix will not have any negative affect on performance or economy or the good running of the vehicle, 

best get your official complaint in in writing and then the Dealership can get on with sorting things out.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this engine have an anti judder valve fitted? I had a VW Caddy with the ALH 1.9 TDi engine which developed a big judder on shut down, the wire in the plug to the valve had broken. Fixed that and it fixed the judder.

I appreciate that they are different engines, but they are made by the same folks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 13:01, MrVillage said:

Does this engine have an anti judder valve fitted? I had a VW Caddy with the ALH 1.9 TDi engine which developed a big judder on shut down, the wire in the plug to the valve had broken. Fixed that and it fixed the judder.

I appreciate that they are different engines, but they are made by the same folks.

On 9/19/2017 at 13:52, KenONeill said:

@MrVillage - No idea about the "correct answer", but my first thought was of the anti-shudder (aka anti-diesel) valve too.

I will check that. Do you know how to change it?

On 9/19/2017 at 13:01, MrVillage said:

do you know if is this the issue by any chance? 

Capture.JPG

Edited by Bertie90
better picture

• 4 weeks later...