Safe Loading of luggage

Hannibal

Evening........  After any bright ideas here.  

Going away on holiday soon and luggage space is going to  be at a premium despite the size of the boot and impending roof box purchase (pushchair frame, travel cot, 2x baby carriers etc soon adds up).  You often see cars on the motorway with the boot piled up to the roof of the car but with two rear facing car seats in the back if I do pack the car like this then I'm a little worried about what might happen if that came forward if I had break hard.  Or worse.  

I used to have a Mazda 6 that had a pull out mesh divider between the boot and the rear seats, a kind of fabric dog guard that lived in with the tonneau cover.  No such gadget on the Passat or any Skodas I've seen.  Has anybody seen anything aftermarket that can divide the luggage space and the passenger space, without going full dog guard?  Any sensible suggestions on how anyone else has dealt with this?  

Thanks!  

Well.. whats the load limit on the fabric thing? Vs the full dog guard?

As in... imagine the worse case scenario of head on collision and the load comes forward still doing 60-70mph... id rather a full dog guard there to slow down / stop the incoming than a mesh sheet.

And, given a very close friend of swmbo lost her son in a car accident when his tool box came forward into the head rest of his mk4 golf van a couple of yrs ago.. id really rather the more solid bulkhead minding my little lad..

Have you not got anything that you are taking that could be packed vertically against the back seat to act like a dam? Or alternatively just raise up the headrests? And pack everything tightly into the boot! I've done that before. 

Many cars are you see, everything looks just thrown in the boot! 

Edited by threadbear

Fiend of mine was injured in a crash from things flying off her parcel shelf.

Could you just put a rope around it all to hold it together?

Or have another look and see if you really need everything you are taking.

I'm not looking at packing anything heavy like tool boxes.  If I was they'd certainly be low down and against the rear seats.  The thought of them coming forward through the car at pace is pretty grim.  

Obviously big and pointy items like the pram chassis will be on the bottom so the top of the boot will likely be soft duffel bags with clothes, nappies (just 100 or so) and bulky clothing like jackets.  But I'd still rather have nothing possible to come forward so I'll see what I can find.........

Why not fit the VW Partition Grille (Dog Guard) specific to your car?   The equivalent accessory for a Skoda is described as a Dog Guard and Luggage Restraint.  I used the one I bought for my Octavia II Estate for the latter purpose.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DGW said:

Why not fit the VW Partition Grille (Dog Guard) specific to your car?   The equivalent accessory for a Skoda is described as a Dog Guard and Luggage Restraint.  I used the one I bought for my Octavia II Estate for the latter purpose.

Because I didn't know there was one!  I had looked but didn't have the right name.  

• Like 1