1.6 or 2.0 TDI 110?

Paul

Hello All,

Its probably been asked before before but my searches have drawn a blank (not sure why). 

We currently own a 2010 1.2 TSI Yeti & are looking to swap it for a 13/14 plate 1.6 or 2.0 110 TDI. The question is which engine? The car will be doing 60 miles a day mainly motorway. I'm tending to favour the 2.0 but wondered what the great Briskoda people thought. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Paul J. 

The 1.6 greenline is virtually the same to drive most of the time as the 2.0. Very similar power output at 105ps, but does about 10 more mpg. The only downside is 25mm less ground clearance if that is important to you, and you wont find one with a standard spare if you want a spare. It was not allowed as an option due to the extra weight, so if it has a spare it was added later.

Having said that I now have my own 150ps yeti and it is so much more fun to drive than either of them, and I would be less hesitant to overtake than in the Greenline.

Personally if I had to have the equivalent again I would go for either having had both as company lease cars, but look for one that has not had the fix. (Company scheme would only permit the low power diesel versions)

Having had a 1.6 Greenline Octavia and 2.0 110 Yeti, I have to say I preferred the 2.0 in the Yeti.

This will sound daft, but the 1.6 is a little dull, but the 2.0 has more "character", it's almost playful.

Yes I agree with Ken, the 1.6 was a great car & engine. I could always get high 50s mpg, even at 70mph.

I now have the 2ltr not quite as frugal as the 1.6 but a much better drive. I love the 17" wheels to.

The greenline 1.6 was also very cheap to insure, that with the fuel economy made it most attractive.

If you do get one & it has had the "Fix" you can always have it remapped.

Given your type of use I'd go for the 2.0 diesel.

Would be better if you could stretch to a 15 plate and Euro 6 as you wouldn't have to worry about "the fix".

I love the characteristics of a diesel in the Yeti and it makes it a relaxing and economical drive. 

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

We have the 1.6 TDI's in our works Octy's, they are very good but the torque characteristics of the engine seems to be wrong & more akin to a petrol. This is just my opinion & it was this that was pushing me towards the 2.0. 

Ken, I hadn't thought about the ground clearance but living in the Lake District the extra 25mm could be useful especially when the roads are flooded, which seems to be happening more & more. 

Some would go for the Greenline to get the 16" wheels and slightly narrower and much cheaper tyres. It does give a more comfortable ride than the low profile tyres on17" rims.

The other noticeable thing was tyre life. On my 2010 110ps car the front tyres lasted about 28k. The Greenline went back to work he lease company at 43k miles on all the original tyres. Still at least 5k left on front. I have never had a car so gentle on tyres before. I had two mondeos which went through fronts every 12 k!

Edited by kenfowler3966

My Yeti 2.0 loves the motorway, towing or solo but is equally at home on urban roads.

You cannot beat the low down power on tap from the diesel.

Im would go with the 2.0 l engine - if at some stage you decided you needed more torque and power the 2.0l would go to approx. 170bhp and 285 lb ft and the 1.6l  135bhp and210 lb ft - it's a no brainer?

Have you taken account of the possibility that diesel may be banned from cities-either by exclusion or by very high parking charges it may or may not be sensible but is a real possibility. unless you need a heavy towing work horse you may be choosing dead end technology. low powered and low performance diesels may be a poor choice. try a 1.2 and see whether it may not be what would suit you.

It's a matter of brake horses for courses surely. Doing 60 miles a day mainly on motorway as in the OP, I'd choose my previous 2.0 diesel again I think. Doing the 15-25 miles a week popping to the shops and back as I do now never more than 5 or 6 miles at a go my 1.2 TSI is the obvious choice for me.

My 1.2 seems to give in the order of 38mpg and someone mathematically competent will no doubt tell me and OP how many miles it will take for a diesel (which costs more to buy) to save any money and therefore satisfy the desire to motor more cheaply. I suspect most diesels only save money after the owner has sold them on. Penny wise pound foolish is a frequent postion for those who only see cost at the pump and not over the use of a car.

40 minutes ago, JCP said:

My 1.2 seems to give in the order of 38mpg and someone mathematically competent will no doubt tell me and OP how many miles it will take for a diesel (which costs more to buy) to save any money and therefore satisfy the desire to motor more cheaply. I suspect most diesels only save money after the owner has sold them on. Penny wise pound foolish is a frequent postion for those who only see cost at the pump and not over the use of a car.

I prefer the driving experience of a diesel engine and the £30 road tax.
And keeping a car for about 10 years I know I get my money back.
Below shows my fuel consumption over 1082 miles of 60.4 mpg. The maxidot is only about 3 mpg out over full tank to full tank calculations.

21317711_10214888308747725_6690044973368

I have a 1.6 tdi fabia 13 plate. The MPG is great and i feel it has enough power for my day to day need. The issues that i had with the tdi engine is the mounts, one injector, a coolant leak and the software emission update. If you get your car from the dealer it's a 100% chance you had the update done which means an endless amount of problems so please be careful otherwise you will hate the VAG group forever. If it had the software updated then don't buy it. You can remap it but then the warranty is voided because you fiddled with the ECU.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, JCP said:

As Urrell says it is more than just the cost per mile and it is more complicated, as you know, than just calculating the point in miles at which the diesel becomes cheaper.

On that basis a petrol version and the most basic spec. would make much more sense for me. But as you can see from my avatar I'm a very foolish man!

Having tried out the smaller petrol engine version we decided to go with the diesel engine 110 front wheel drive to save extra friction and wear and tear of a four wheel Yeti.

We have been very happy with the 110 Yeti with now 100,000 miles on the clock and always returning 55 - 56 mpg on a full tank. The lower power 110 model seems ok for two up driving with plenty of grunt for overtaking.

To date we have had no problems staying away from the updates for emission tests come MOT time. Just had the water pump and timing belt changed for safety but they left off the cam belt cover bolts at the garage. Good job I don't trust garage mechanics and checked it out as soon as it was collected by the Mrs. Otherwise it has been one of the nicest vehicles we have owned and now 6 years old with winter/summer tyres from Dunlop on Yeti. Why on earth they put in H4 bulbs on our 2011 model I will never know?  Would go out and purchase another new one if possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bertie90 said:

I have a 1.6 tdi fabia 13 plate. The MPG is great and i feel it has enough power for my day to day need. The issues that i had with the tdi engine is the mounts, one injector, a coolant leak and the software emission update. If you get your car from the dealer it's a 100% chance you had the update done which means an endless amount of problems so please be careful otherwise you will hate the VAG group forever. If it had the software updated then don't buy it. You can remap it but then the warranty is voided because you fiddled with the ECU.

Good luck!

My wifes fabia has this engine, and it goes extremely well compared to the Greenline yeti with the same 1.6. Not surprising with the weight difference. You really need the 140 yeti for comparale performance.

Edited by kenfowler3966

Being as how each driver has subjective feelings about his own choice of car, I suggest you try driving both engine models and see what you think. I have been a diesel convert for many years, but have just taken delivery of a 1.4TSI petrol Yeti and actually like it more than the diesels I have had previously. You need to drive the different engines before you make up your mind. Nobody else can make up your mind for you. Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Once again thanks for all your replies. The bullet has been bitten & we've bought a 62 plate 2.0tdi SE Plus with 45k on the clock. Everything we wanted apart from no DAB, but I'll get an Alpine EZI DAB system fitted & its white! I need to get over that bit!! But the deal seemed ok, they are fitting 4 new tyres, new cambelt, full service, MOT, mud flaps & 6 months tax + I am swapping my spare wheel kit & rubber mats out of our old Yeti. Collect it in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1