Removal of OEM Roof Bars

josall

I recently purchased a 2017 Yeti and ordered some roof bars which were installed by the garage, I am somewhat confused on how to remove them.

Could some one please explain what is required and the process

Thanks in anticipation

Update 

These Bars are original Skoda Bars purchased with Yeti and fitted by the garage.

It appears you need to take off the outer covers,

Flip the red handles to release the black handle,

Then undo the two securing bolts on each fitting

I am awaiting the garage to get back to me after Skoda Technical can confirm which size allen key is required (not supplies with kit) to be used on bolts supplied to mount and dismount the Bars,

However I am not yet convinced it is an allen key

I did get a manual with the bars however the instructions were in my opinion very poor and for a tool not to be included is penny pinching considering the asking price.

You do NOT need to remove the securing bolts from the roof rails to remove the bars.

Unlock and remove the plastic end covers on either side of the car.

Release and flip up the black handle inside on both sides of the car. This releases the mounting slightly and you then slide it off the 2 studs in the roof rails.

Lift off and remove.

Re-clip handles down and refit and lock end caps on, and place in storage.

The studs in the roof rails are a once-fit only item. They are fitted with a Torx driver not an Allen key.

I totally fail to see what other bolts there are. Certainly none on my roof bars, which are genuine Skoda ones.

Thanks Llanigraham

I followed your instructions BUT I was not able to lift or slide the bars away from the fixture

It appears I will have to go back to the garage for them to deal with  :-(

That suggests that the garage has done something wrong when they fitted them. There should be no need to undo anything other than the clamps either end. They only need less than half an inch of movement to release from the mounts, and that is given when the clamps are released.

Did they not give you the instruction sheet when you bought the bars?

I've had a set of these for several years now - just need to ensure you slide forward the bit which engages with the silver retaining bolts (when removing)

As previously stated these bolts are single use and not designed to be removed / re-fitted.

If you are ever in the North Notts vicinity I'd be happy to demonstrate in person.

Good luck!

Edited by pinkpanther

Thanks for the offer pinkpanther,

Lincoln could be some distance from you, I will have to go back to Grimsby and let the dealer resolve the issue,

Thanks to all for your suggestions, good to know support is out there

Allan

1 hour ago, josall said:

Thanks for the offer pinkpanther,

Lincoln could be some distance from you, I will have to go back to Grimsby and let the dealer resolve the issue,

Thanks to all for your suggestions, good to know support is out there

Allan

PM'd

• 1 month later...

Apologies for late update to this thread, only this morning I called in to the garage where I purchased the Yeti who also installed the roof bars

The technician could not remove them initially so took the car into the workshop and discovered that whoever installed them did not follow the instructions,

When screwing the bolts to mount the roof bar brackets onto the rail they did so with the bar bracket in place hence securing the bracket to the rails therefore there was no chance of removing the roof bars as per instructions.

He had to loosen the bolts to release the mounts from the rail, then secured the bolts onto the rail for future mounting.

I hope that explains why I couldn't remove the bars, to be honest I was beginning to feel a bit of a plum, however all is good, pity I had to go back to the dealer 

• Like 1