Apple taking the Mick

Yetiherts

A warning to all IOS users:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41319675

I use plenty of old apps, including my trusty PES2011 game so I won't be upgrading. Although that does mean I'll be stuck with the annoying red dot and update reminders every day  :sadsmile:

3 hours ago, Jigger72 said:

A warning to all IOS users:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41319675

I use plenty of old apps, including my trusty PES2011 game so I won't be upgrading. Although that does mean I'll be stuck with the annoying red dot and update reminders every day  :sadsmile:

iOS 10.3.3 will tell you which of your Apps are still 32-bit, so you can see what (if any) problem you will have.

I only had 4 Apps out of nearly 50 that were still 32-bit...

BTW Apple have been saying that Apps MUST be 64-bit for several YEARS so IMHO the problem isn't with Apple but with lazy developers not doing a simple re-complie.

See http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/19/how-to-find-the-32-bit-apps-on-your-iphone-or-ipad-that-wont-work-in-ios-11-at-all

Edited by SWBoy

On 13/09/2017 at 14:05, Aspman said:

I've got an iPhone SE having moved over from a Windows Phone Nokia 920.

I like how the iPhone just works with everything. The few apps I need are all there.

But everything else, absolutely everything, the Windows Phone was much better.

I did exactly the same about a year ago, but from my Lumia 830.

However 2 weeks ago I took mine back to Vodafone as I noticed dust gathering behind the camera lens.  They took it in for warranty repair.  While mine was being "lost"* by Vodafone I used my Lumia - it was sadly just as buggy and slow as it was a year ago (even though it had a couple of W10 updates & the apps updated).  However the interface is so much more pleasing to the eye (VPN is better on the iPhone, imho).

* 10 days later, after continual chasing by me as the repair tool was showing my phone as "in store, awaiting dispatch to repair centre", they issued with me an iPhone.... oddly it wasn't mine (different serial number, etc....).

1 hour ago, mbames said:

However 2 weeks ago I took mine back to Vodafone as I noticed dust gathering behind the camera lens.  They took it in for warranty repair.  While mine was being "lost"* by Vodafone I used my Lumia - it was sadly just as buggy and slow as it was a year ago (even though it had a couple of W10 updates & the apps updated).  However the interface is so much more pleasing to the eye (VPN is better on the iPhone, imho).

* 10 days later, after continual chasing by me as the repair tool was showing my phone as "in store, awaiting dispatch to repair centre", they issued with me an iPhone.... oddly it wasn't mine (different serial number, etc....).

It must be a Vodafone trait. I've had a Sony Xperia get lost by them while in for repairs that they had not fixed the previous time.

1 hour ago, mbames said:

I had a 920 and it never got the win 10 'upgrade'. It was and is still totally rock solid on 8.1 and I don't think it ever crashed. All the time I had it. 

58 minutes ago, roo said:

It must be a Vodafone trait. I've had a Sony Xperia get lost by them while in for repairs that they had not fixed the previous time.

Seems that way.  I'd have gone to an Apple repair centre, but there wasn't once close by.  Still it does mean I've got a brand new phone.  Not sure if I should report the IMEI number of the old phone has stolen.... ;-)

22 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I had a 920 and it never got the win 10 'upgrade'. It was and is still totally rock solid on 8.1 and I don't think it ever crashed. All the time I had it. 

My 830 was great till I applied the 10 upgrade, and then it turned into a crock of s****.  Plus when I got my mk3 vrs it didn't fit in the phone holder, unlike my SE :-)

Is anyone else just completely and utterly bored with people sniping at each other, just because they prefer a different brand of mobile phone, or complaining about a phone company that dares to release a handset that isn't what you want?

It makes precisely zero difference to you if I like or dislike Apple or Android, and when Apple choose to make a high end phone for a grand, there's nothing stopping you spending a tenth of that on a perfectly serviceable Motorola or cheap Chinese brand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm very happy with my 7 Plus.

I have an iPhone as I also have an iMac and two iPads, so it makes sense to use all Apple as all my info syncs across the cloud.