VCDS Fault - 7397 - Diesel Particle Filter; Differential Pressure Sensor

DamianW

Hi,

I have a 2011 Skoda Fabia Diesel Manual reporting the following error on VCDS does the DPF need a regen or is this a sensor? If so where is the sensor located

Address 01: Engine (J623-CAYA)       Labels:. 03L-906-023-CAY.clb
   Part No SW: 03L 906 023 NH    HW: 03L 906 023 LK
   Component: R4 1.6l TDI   H33 9978  
   Revision: --H33---    Serial number:               
   Coding: 00114016000500080000
   Shop #: WSC 13765 031 00051
   ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM16TDI02103L906023NH 003011
   ROD: EV_ECM16TDI02103L906023LL.rod
   VCID: 79ACE5F2295BD08F1C4-802C

1 Fault Found:
7397 - Diesel Particle Filter; Differential Pressure Sensor 
          P2454 00 [032] - Short to GND
          Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 11
                    Mileage: 92217 km
                    Date: 2017.09.07
                    Time: 17:24:06

Engine speed: 793.50 /min
                    Normed load value: 20.0 %
                    Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
                    Coolant temperature: 30 °C
                    Intake air temperature: 19 °C
                    Ambient air pressure: 980 mbar
                    Voltage terminal 30: 14.005 V
                    Unlearning counter according OBD: 30
                    Particle filter: soot mass measured-MASS_SOOT_PHY_PF: 9.05 g
                    Particle filter: soot mass calculated-MASS_SOOT_SIM_PF: 16.26 g
                    Particle filter kilometers since last regeneration_1-DIST_RGN_ENVD_H: 141 km
                    Counter for regeneration time of diesel particle filter-T_INT_RGN_ACT_INI_PF_ENVD_H: 0.0000 s
                    Particle filter: difference pressure-DIP_PF: 0.00 hPa
                    Service regeneration: Release conditions 3-FRF_STATE_RGN: 1
                    Sensor for temp after charge air cooler: raw value-TBA_MES: 19 °C

Are you intending having The Fix carried out?

Normally the advice being given is Avoid, but then you do get New Engine Management and a kind of 24 month extended warranty from the VW Group if the car goes in, and just maybe your current issue resolved Free Gratis.

I am trying to help a colleague at work by using my VCDS I bought for my Superb to see what her Fabia is reporting as an error. 

Right now I am trying to work out if this is a problem with the DPF or if the sensor is at fault. Was hoping for someone with some advice. 

17 hours ago, DamianW said:

Particle filter: soot mass measured-MASS_SOOT_PHY_PF: 9.05 g
                    Particle filter: soot mass calculated-MASS_SOOT_SIM_PF: 16.26 g
                    Particle filter kilometers since last regeneration_1-DIST_RGN_ENVD_H: 141 km
                    Counter for regeneration time of diesel particle filter-T_INT_RGN_ACT_INI_PF_ENVD_H: 0.0000 s
                    Particle filter: difference pressure-DIP_PF: 0.00 hPa

Think that DPF blockage has its own codes - 008194 - Particulate Trap Bank 1 P2002 - 000 - Efficiency Below Threshold - Intermittent - MIL ON - on our 1.4TDI. The above soot mass appears low looking at info on Ross Tech site - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Diesel_Particle_Filter_Emergency_Regeneration - where 30 to 40 g is mentioned, but differential pressure look low although I am unsure if the value would have been captured while the engine was running which would be the only time a differential would be across the switch. DPF switches are cheap if bought online so may be best starting point.

I think that there is a calibration process to be done when fitting new switch.

Edited by KeithCheetham

Thanks Keith for the pointer to RossTech, Seems the soot mass may well be within limits. But you also pointed out the  plain obvious (now that you mention it) that I didn't have the engine running. Will retry the test next week when back in work to see if the same error is reported on a running engine. The sensor is cheap compared to a new DPF so in many ways I hope its that.

4 hours ago, DamianW said:

But you also pointed out the  plain obvious (now that you mention it) that I didn't have the engine running.

Just noticed that speed is quoted as 793 rpm and speed 0 km/h, so probably was running when fault logged. There is a way of checking filter loading via loging but I think it may be different to our 1.4 TDI Greenline which is the method on the Ross Tech page that I used which showed 64% before forced regen and 4% after. Do a bit of research as I am unsure if number of forced regens is limited so if a pressure switch problem changing that would remove requirement to regen.