P/x for new VRS - how much work to do?

Hi All,

Once my VRS is finally ready, I will be exchanging my just over 1 year old black Octavia Estate 1.4 TSI 150PS for a new VRS 245.

Unfortunately, whilst parked (in not even a dodgy area), some little **** decided to key the car on the nearside door and a little on the front wing too. I wouldn't trust myself to repair it to a decent and not obvious standard myself so I'm curious. Would it be worthwhile getting it fixed professionally (and any other little stone chips etc) in terms of part-exchange value (it and the VRS will be on PCP) or do people thing it won't make that big a difference so not worth the outlay? I can take a photo if people need to see to decide. Otherwise it's in pretty decent shape - nearly 11K miles and touch wood, no issues.

5 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Its always worth getting it done yourself

If I do get it done, in general, how likely is it to actually get close the 'Parker's value' for the car given the age in the exchange? I think I shouldn't have a 'negative equity' situation given that the mileage is fairly low and given it's my wife who's driven it more (as I work from home) so it's not exactly been hooned down the motorway etc. Just because I know when I did an initial carwow search, most dealers were offering way below what I think the car ought to be worth, to me it seemed to be to offset the low asking price for the new cars.

If you want top price for the car then get it done.  Dealers will use any possible blemish to mark down the value and it will seldom be inline with the price to get the issue rectified, e.g; might cost you £100 to get sorted but a dealer may knock £250+ off of the p/x price.   The less wiggle room they have only strengthens your case to get the price you want. 

Also, did you agree a p/x price when you ordered the vRS?  

The value you are offered is entirely down to what the garage wants to pay you and as you've already ordered the new car you are not in a strong bargaining position.  Maybe try Tootle.com without repairing but with an honest description?  

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

If you want top price for the car then get it done.  Dealers will use any possible blemish to mark down the value and it will seldom be inline with the price to get the issue rectified, e.g; might cost you £100 to get sorted but a dealer may knock £250+ off of the p/x price.   The less wiggle room they have only strengthens your case to get the price you want. 

Also, did you agree a p/x price when you ordered the vRS?  

Thanks - I didn't agree a p/x price,only an amount paid monthly over 42 months. Actually I'd originally planned to change our Fabia (same age, we bought the Octavia and Fabia at the same time but we decided two Octavias didn't make sense for our needs).

1 hour ago, juan27 said:

The value you are offered is entirely down to what the garage wants to pay you and as you've already ordered the new car you are not in a strong bargaining position.  Maybe try Tootle.com without repairing but with an honest description?  

You're not legally committed to buying the car just for ordering it though, right? Granted I'm sure it would sell in no time given how short supply VRS 245s are in these days. What's Just had a look at tootle.co.uk. Looks really interesting. Can you sell a car to them with outstanding finance and pay the balance off yourself?

Edited by michaelg17

12 hours ago, michaelg17 said:

Thanks - I didn't agree a p/x price,only an amount paid monthly over 42 months. Actually I'd originally planned to change our Fabia (same age, we bought the Octavia and Fabia at the same time but we decided two Octavias didn't make sense for our needs).

You're not legally committed to buying the car just for ordering it though, right? Granted I'm sure it would sell in no time given how short supply VRS 245s are in these days. What's Just had a look at tootle.co.uk. Looks really interesting. Can you sell a car to them with outstanding finance and pay the balance off yourself?

Tootle is a web service where dealers bid for your car. I shouldn't think they would trust you to settle the finance, but should be able to do that for you. 

Isn't it worth just contacting your dealer and asking how much they will give you for the current car "as is" and if too low then asking how much difference the repair will make?

Thinking about it I would have thought the financial hit on part-exing a one year old car on a PCP may be massive and will potentially make the scratch impact on value pale into insignificance.

I don't know all the details of course and I wish you the best of luck with it all.

Edited by juan27
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, juan27 said:

Tootle is a web service where dealers bid for your car. I shouldn't think they would trust you to settle the finance, but should be able to do that for you. 

Isn't it worth just contacting your dealer and asking how much they will give you for the current car "as is" and if too low then asking how much difference the repair will make?

Thinking about it I would have thought the financial hit on part-exing a one year old car on a PCP may be massive and will potentially make the scratch impact on value pale into insignificance.

I don't know all the details of course and I wish you the best of luck with it all.

Thanks for your help. Yes, I know I could ask them but first of all, I don't want them to have an opportunity to claim to 'still see' the repair if I do go down that route and still try to mark the value down a bit. Plus, with my VRS apparently not ready until early next year, my mileage will still go up in the meantime (as my repayment balance goes down) so any valuation would most likely be subject to change regardless. We're going to get a quote anyway from a local bodywork place and see how it looks. If it's not excessive I'll probably go ahead with it.

But cheers for the tip re Tootle, I might explore that nearer the time - at the very worst it might help with negotiation. :)