Low oil pressure

Jontypilk

The low oil pressure warning comes on in my 2010 Superb 1.8 TSi. when I exceed 3,500 r.p.m.

The garage has fitted new pressure sensors, but the fault remains (light comes on at over 3,500 r.p.m.)

They now say it could be the oil pump. Could it be that? And if so, why is OK below 3,500 r.p.m.?

On nearly all vehicles the speed of the oil pump is dependent on engine speed because it runs off the engine. The faster the engine spins, the faster the oil pump spins. The engine expects to see the oil pressure steadily climb with increasing rpm. Most likely the oil pressure is lower than expected at those revs, thus triggering a fault.

Which engine do you have? The older 1.8 seems to only have a fixed pressure switch that actuates at a set pressure. The newer engine has that same switch, plus another and an oil pressure regulating valve. Barring oil pump problems and clogged pickups there could be an electrical fault in those areas.

I'd find another garage. While it is possible that the oil sensor was also faulty, I'd wager they didn't check it out for functionality, nor checked the wiring out. I'd also wager they're a bit trigger happy with the old parts cannon.