Octavia RS DSG Newbie

Hi all, I'm looking for a few hints/tips about driving a DSG. Been driving for nearly 30 years and I've only had a 10 minute test drive in a Golf GTE Automatic. I've Ordered an Octavia RS Automatic. No idea about flappy paddles or sport modes etc..Do I just plant my right foot down and let the car decide what to do or can I have some interaction with the car. I think I will have to tie my left leg to the seat just in case I go to press the clutch/brake!!!

It takes a bit of getting used to if you've only ever driven manuals. You have to train your left leg not to hunt for a clutch.

As for driving the DSG itself, D or Normal mode seems to change up quickly and easily enough on its on so you can just let it so it's own thing. I tend to have it in manual mode shifting up with the paddles a lot of the time. That said, I don't miss having a manual. Currently have an A3 manual TDI loan car and definitely missing DSG.

Welcome B) 

I'm on my first DSG had it for nearly 3 years now & don't miss a manual one bit, in-fact it's annoying having to drive a manual sometimes, my left leg is so use to chilling out :giggle: 

Basically just enjoy the "D" position most of the time, if you go on track & on the odd motorway enjoy the flappy paddles from time to time, even enjoy knocking down the gearstick to "S" mode, the car becomes another beast.

Leave it in "D" most of the time, that's its main purpose & don't thrash or plant your'e foot down until the vehicle is at least 80-85c oil temp.

EDIT: & always make sure to look at the gearstick when you put it in "R" as sometimes (my stupid self) have gone to go forward & had it in "R" :blink:

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Like 1

If you're running in with a DSG box, knocking it back into 'S' mode when coming to a hill will make it change down earlier and prevent it labouring.  Don't thrash it though.  When I was running in my Octavia, I was driving with a very light right foot and found leaving it in 'D' meant the revs dropped too low before it changed down.  You want the engine to keep spinning freely, you don't want it to go down to around 1500 rpm before it changes down, as mine wanted to when left in 'D'.

You didn't say if you were TSI or TDI?

You can just leave it in D all the time, but to get the best out of it use M and shift up/down with the selector lever. Get in the habit of putting it back in D or checking its already there when slowing right down or stopping, because it is much better at changing up through 1/2/3 than you will be. 

And never ever use your left leg! 

16 hours ago, BATVANVRS said:

Welcome B) 

I'm on my first DSG had it for nearly 3 years now & don't miss a manual one bit, in-fact it's annoying having to drive a manual sometimes, my left leg is so use to chilling out :giggle: 

Basically just enjoy the "D" position most of the time, if you go on track & on the odd motorway enjoy the flappy paddles from time to time, even enjoy knocking down the gearstick to "S" mode, the car becomes another beast.

Leave it in "D" most of the time, that's its main purpose & don't thrash or plant your'e foot down until the vehicle is at least 80-85c oil temp.

EDIT: & always make sure to look at the gearstick when you put it in "R" as sometimes (my stupid self) have gone to go forward & had it in "R" :blink:

This about sums up my thoughts. I commute between 70 to 90 miles daily on A and B roads mainly, with a short section of dual carriageway thrown in occasionally.

I sometimes find myself going to change but I always stop myself, I have my 1.6 TDI DSG SEL Estate set in eco mode and like others I tend to pull back on the gear lever to engage S mode on twisty hills and places where I have found it to be labouring.

On the floor there is a handy foot rest to use. I always plant my foot on it firmly as I square myself into the car before setting off. I don't seem to suffer with the hunting around for the clutch pedal as others have said.

I haven't tried the flappy paddles either, so can't comment on them. I just know it changes for me better than I can for a more smooth ride. Enjoy :thumbup::D