Wheels for a fattie?

XLBaconDoubleCheese

I'm back on the fitness thing, having fallen off the wagon a bit so to speak. One thing I'd love to do it get out on my pushie again, but I have a problem. I've got a hybrid, it's a nice bike but I keep buckling wheels! I am a fat ****, but I do all I can to avoid kerbs, pot holes etc yet they still give me problems. My last bike I buckled the wheels, got them fixed and buckled them again! Now I have another bike, buckled these wheels too! When I say buckle, they're not totally mullered like I landed a massive half pipe jump, just a slight buckle but I can feel it and it annoys the **** out of me.

Am I in the position where I just need to wait till I'm less of a fat **** before taking to two (non powered) wheels again or is it maybe just the wheels are a bit choccy for me and if I get a set of decent wheels they'll be alright? 

Cheers for any advice

Matt,

To be brief, good quality wheels and hubs are worth their weight in gold, so to speak.

A lot of mainstream bikes offer plenty of kit to attract buyers, but save money on the wheel sets.

There are plenty of good quality second hand wheelsets available on ebay and other second hand sites.

As a salad dodger and previously a wheel wrecker I can recommend hand built wheels.  Mavic Open Pro's are a very strong rim, married up to double butted Sapim or DT Swiss spokes and then hubs of your choice. The hubs can get silly expensive but Shimano 105's are a great all rounder. They're not the lightest of wheels but not heavy either. They'll be very responsive too as they're is no wasted energy going into flexi rims. 

• Like 1

@matt1chelski - This might seem like an odd question, but do you just sit on the saddle and let the tyres (and any suspension) do all the work? I was always taught to take bumps (and potholes, also things like surface level rail tracks, stank heads...) with your weight spread over the bars and pedals, which makes it possible to lighten whichever wheel is hitting the bump a bit. I never bent a rim, even off-roading on gravel with a non-suspension bike running 1.25" clinchers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 19:35, matt1chelski said:

I'm back on the fitness thing, having fallen off the wagon a bit so to speak. One thing I'd love to do it get out on my pushie again, but I have a problem. I've got a hybrid, it's a nice bike but I keep buckling wheels! I am a fat ****, but I do all I can to avoid kerbs, pot holes etc yet they still give me problems. My last bike I buckled the wheels, got them fixed and buckled them again! Now I have another bike, buckled these wheels too! When I say buckle, they're not totally mullered like I landed a massive half pipe jump, just a slight buckle but I can feel it and it annoys the **** out of me.

Am I in the position where I just need to wait till I'm less of a fat **** before taking to two (non powered) wheels again or is it maybe just the wheels are a bit choccy for me and if I get a set of decent wheels they'll be alright? 

Cheers for any advice

What type of brakes do you (your bike) have matt?

• 7 months later...

While I love Danny Mac, this thread is from last year and those Santa-Cruz wheels are 2k a set! 

How does Danny Mac do it? I know its skill and practise etc, but just having the balls? I've climbed the In Pin and the Cullin ridge and fair crapped myself walking. how he cycles along it I just don't know.

If the OP is still around, then ring Mark at www.Spokesmanwheels.co.uk he builds some really nice ones and is not massively expensive.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A bit of a late response and may not help the OP but my advice would be to discuss your requirements with a wheel builder.  You're going to need some stiff rims and lots of spokes, laced to some equally hardy hubs.  Most off the shelf wheels will be a compromise in one area to either meet a price point and/or keep the whole bike below a certain weight.  

I can highly recommend Malcolm Borg at the cycle clinic.  He's a bit of a n0b at times and likes the sound of this own voice but he can build a great set of wheels and his pricing is pretty good.  I've had 4 sets of wheels from him over the years, from training wheels to high end race wheels and I've been impressed with all of them:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/ 

Just now, penguin17 said:

A bit of a late response and may not help the OP but my advice would be to discuss your requirements with a wheel builder.  You're going to need some stiff rims and lots of spokes, laced to some equally hardy hubs.  Most off the shelf wheels will be a compromise in one area to either meet a price point and/or keep the whole bike below a certain weight.  

I can highly recommend Malcolm Borg at the cycle clinic; he can build a great set of wheels and his pricing is pretty good.  I've had 4 sets of wheels from him over the years, from training wheels to high end race wheels and I've been impressed with all of them:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/ 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hugely delayed reply! 

Since the OP I've done the sensible thing and bought an entire new bike. :D I've not used it yet, I decided to use the bike I was talking about in the OP first,  I took bike to a local guy who fixes bikes and builds wheels, he gave it a once over, turns out there were a fair few loose spokes which wouldn't have helped. He's trued the wheel and adjusted the brakes and gears for me. We'll see how long it lasts me, the new bike has 650c wheels, the extra tyre might help cushion the wheel a bit! 

If it goes wrong I will certainly look into getting some decent wheels built.