Re Map On my Fabia VRS TDI Not much difference

Hi All,

Great Site,

Thanks to all those who give their knowledge to people like me who know a bit but not enough. 

MY plight is a have owned my Fabia VRS TDI for about a month, Love it. Had it re maped after reading  reviews.

was very excited to get back into it. when I picked up the car was a little disappointed with the Performance.

It didn't seem very noticeable to when I took it in.

So had the idea if someone on this site who lives in the Kent area could meet me, I am Married and over 65

they could try my car and if ok I could try theirs, I would know if the map had made much difference. 

I could take if back and say this, but Iv'e got nothing to base it on as there was no Rolling road print out.

Many Thanks

Max65

Where about in Kent do you live..?

I had my car remapped very long time ago without the rolling road and any print outs but felt the difference straight away.

I then took my car to the AMD (Event Organised by Brisky Members) to check the power. That was done 3 or 4 years after the remap and guess what...The Power and Torque was exactly the same as what I was promised by the company they are going to do to my car.

Matty

Was it stock when you bought it? Or did it already have a map on it? There should be a big difference, especially the smoothness of accelerating through the gears. 

• Like 1

^^^^ Exactly. 

What is the point of starting to modify for performance without checking what performance you have at the start, 

a Dynamic Dyno being one way of doing that, and the simplest.

Just recalled:

If your PD130 engine is anything like in my octavia it all kicks in at around 2000rpm with a load of boost then trails off.

With the remap mine pulls really well to the redline so it's not all on at 2000rpm.

it's apparent with half WOT.

You might want to ask in the mk1 owners' forums here what their engine characteristics are pre and post-remap.

• 1 month later...

If yours is a very good BLT engine (155bhp stock) and you got a conservative remap then you may well not notice a huge difference. I've yet to see a BLT engine vRS that didn't make at least 145bhp or more from stock. The best ones made almost 160bhp when they were new. If it's a conservative remap (160-165bhp) with very little torque increase then you might not really notice anything until the car is doing over 4000rpm when it will pull to 4800-5000rpm as that's where it makes the extra power. 

Most people confuse torque with power. It's the massive low-down torque that makes the car feel like its pulling hard. But the power that actually makes the car faster is developed at the end of the rev range long after the "Whoah" torque has disappeared. You generally have to rev a remapped car to get the extra power. Many people talk about the torque boost hanging on until later in the rev range, but there are limits to what can be achieved on a BLT. 

And you are sure the clutch isn't slipping and limiting your gains?

Hi Wja96,

Many Thanks for your input .

The car is said to be VRS TDI130PD. my first diesel

You seem to have hit it right on the head.

Iv'e had the car on the rolling road which shows 162BHP.

The torque copied this from rolling road sheet Eng. Torque T WC (N-M) MIN 122 Max 340 Avg 266

The real power comes in exactly as you have said over 4000RPM with no noticeable power pick up or pull till over 3500 RPM is reached

I thought I would notice more pull though the lower gears as well as top end

3rd into 4th then 5th the car seems to fly. over 400RPM 

But as I said in my original post I have not tried another standard 130 Pd VRS. so cannot tell how much better.

Haven't notice any clutch slip.

Once again thanks all for your helpful and well informed input.

Max

I had a conservative map done for 'economy' because I didn't want to overstress the clutch and turbo

It made a very noticeable difference. Straight away it would just pull harder and revs out smoother. Feels like you are driving round in the next gear down compared to stock so you should have noticed a difference.

Also traction control light spends more time on than off when you are full throttle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Edited by clarendon462