Buying advice - FL 230 or 245?

Hi everyone

So I've already put a deposit on a new facelift vrs 230 (169) but am now not confident I've made the right choice. 

Besides the 7 speed DSG, extra 11kw, new LSD and some extra black glossy bits is it really worth the extra £££?

After seeing more of the 245 in my newsfeed it's made me question my decision, have I made the right choice or am I just overthinking it?

I fell in love with the FL 230 and managed to get a great deal for a fully optioned sedan.

Thoughts?

Of course it's worthy, but this is not the question. The question is does it makes sense to you and does it fit? Do you need such a sharp cornering car at all? Do you have a road to go to the edge where LSD is needed? If not, basic XDS+    is perfectly fine on the car you've already placed order. Had such system on my old Alfa and it really does the job.

My story: I didn't have a dilemma between RS and RS230 almost one year ago. Honestly, I wouldn't buy any Octavia, but this one with LSD, petrol and this beautiful, short, slotty, manual gearbox. This is just my point of view, not necessarily yours.

The difference in normal driving between RS and RS 245 is probably non existing, only when you search the cars limits and if you are able to, in the first place.

Why do everybody here call FL vRS wrongly vRS 230? 230 is a different car. Causing unnecessary confusion.

• Like 1

The 245 gets more than the stuff you've mentioned... Better exhaust, bigger rear brakes, assuming you get some more kit inside too if it's like the Pre-facelift 230 vs standard VRS. I'd say it's worth it unless the cost is significantly more or the deal is significantly worse.

The deal-breaker for me though would be the fact you can't get the better colours in the 245; Blue and Green. Completely subjective that though...

I had this dilemma before I ordered mine. The 245 does seem pretty good value - you get quite a lot of extra kit for not much more cash. However, I was worried that the ride of the 245 would be too firm for me - you've got to have the 19 inch wheels and it's got a firmer suspension set up I believe. At the time there were no 245s in the country so I couldn't take a test drive to confirm that though. In the end I ordered the standard vRS and spent the extra on the options that I really wanted. My advice would be to try both if you can...

Actually with DCC upgrade on 19" it is more comfortable then our TDI on 16". On Comfort setting of course. Normal and Sport are firmer, but again, riding on DCC is very much different, you feel its stiffness, but it is not that intruding like usual sport suspension.

All RS TSI should have same suspension, pre-FL and FL, the difference may be in optional DCC which I strongly recommend. Affects the car appearance from driving side severely.

2 hours ago, nidza said:

Why do everybody here call FL vRS wrongly vRS 230? 230 is a different car. Causing unnecessary confusion.

The FL 230 Vrs is different from the Pre FL 230 Vrs. The Pre FL 230 gets more kit as standard over the FL 230

In the UK the FL 230 replaced the Pre face lift 220 Vrs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The FL 230 Vrs is different from the Pre FL 230 Vrs. The Pre FL 230 gets more kit as standard over the FL 230

In the UK the FL 230 replaced the Pre face lift 220 Vrs. 

The point is nothing has changed since pre-FL. You had before 2 models, normal vRS edition, and special, vRS 230 edition.

Now you have _again_ normal vRS edition (but with +10hp) and special, vRS 245 edition (but with +15hp). Isn't just enough to say new vRS or FL vRS, there is only one car being produced Today with this label.

If your optional extras are more than the price difference its a no brainer as, optional extras don't add any value to the trade-in price or if PCP GFV

A PCP could work out less due to higher GFV in addition, the seats are very comfortable in the 245, loads of adjustment.

Aside from the fact that you can get the Golf GTI Clubsport map on a 245's DTUK Tuningbox

Edited by themanwithnoaim

I wanted black pack, folding mirrors, Alcantara and electric memory seats.  To get those on the  standard FL VRS you had to specify heated front seats too.....Add up those options and the difference  to the 245 isn't very much.  If you were going to specify the standard equipment on the 245 on the VRS at extra cost the 245 is a no brainer, And you get a little extra power and the diff.

Edited by juan27

10 hours ago, vrsage said:

Thanks for your feedback everyone. 

Does anyone have any interior pics they could share?

I understand there is a dedicated instrument cluster and door inserts. 

Errrr, internal photos of what?

The door inserts light up in 15 different user adjustable colours but, I don't have a clue about the dedicated instrument cluster

On 10/4/2017 at 14:08, themanwithnoaim said:

Errrr, internal photos of what?

The door inserts light up in 15 different user adjustable colours but, I don't have a clue about the dedicated instrument cluster

On 10/4/2017 at 03:28, vrsage said:

Thanks for your feedback everyone. 

Does anyone have any interior pics they could share?

I understand there is a dedicated instrument cluster and door inserts. 

Door inserts are piano black instead of faux carbon fibre.  Much nicer IMHO.  Not sure the instrument cluster is different, but I haven't spent any time in a standard FL VRS.  It has some lap timer mullarkey available on the infotainment, not sure if that comes on the cooking VRS. 

On 03/10/2017 at 14:03, juan27 said:

I wanted black pack, folding mirrors, Alcantara and electric memory seats.  To get those on the  standard FL VRS you had to specify heated front seats too.....Add up those options and the difference  to the 245 isn't very much.  If you were going to specify the standard equipment on the 245 on the VRS at extra cost the 245 is a no brainer, And you get a little extra power and the diff.

My  Pre FL 230 has the lap timer 

21 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

& this 

20170825_175012.jpg

I'll deffo get that screen up next time I'm on a hot lap on the Nurburgring. :biggrin: