Trapped Disc Stone

Lincol

Hi Guys, I have what can be called a "pain in the butt" small stone rattling around trapped between the front disc and tin backplate on my Yeti 4x4. Having spent a long time with various tools to try and release it I have come to the conclusion I need to remove caliper to gain better access. Can anybody out there tell me the correct torque of the two caliper holding bolts as I am having trouble finding the figure.

Anybody else had this extremely annoying problem ??

Yes I tried the reversing thing but no luck, I removed the wheel and can see it but have had no luck in getting it out, it just rattles about at slow speed driving me mad !!!

Good idea, might try airline, it is amazing how the stone got in there in the first place, a real puzzle, can't see anywhere big enough for it to come out without removing caliper.

Just need the torque setting for the caliper carrier for the reassembly.

Edited by Lincol

I had this problem a few weeks ago - didn't know what it was and was 400 miles from home when it happened, careful slowish drive home!

Took it into dealer and he diagnosed a stone in brake, said that if the stone was small and soft it would eventually break up and the situation would resolve itself, if not then would need to strip down to gain access behind disc to remove it. I asked them to remove it and it took the mechanic about 30 minutes to strip down and remove. The stone was actually a pea sized piece of quartz that had been polished smooth by the brakes. Luckily there was no damage to disc. So basically you need to remove the calliper to get access behind the disc pad to remove the stone. 

Apparently this is a known "problem" with disc brakes and is not related to model or manufacturer.

2 hours ago, Lincol said:

Good idea, might try airline, it is amazing how the stone got in there in the first place, a real puzzle, can't see anywhere big enough for it to come out without removing caliper.

Just need the torque setting for the caliper carrier for the reassembly.

From the Skoda brake manual..

Caliper guide bolts: 30Nm

Caliper carrier bolts: 190Nm 

Best get the stone removed, my Focus picked up a bit of grit, it scored a circle on the disc as it was trapped in the caliper.

I could not get it out as it was well and truly bedded in and screeched like a banshee

• 5 weeks later...