Accelerator sticking when applying brakes.

Actually, while brake failure is an interesting possibility, it doesn't explain continued acceleration or inability of clutch to neutralize.

It seems to me by now I should accept that somehow I screwed up and move on.

Thank you all for your input.

2 hours ago, expostmanpat said:

Edge of shoe caught acc pedal whilst pushing down on brake would be my guess, done it once or twice myself leading to a wtf moment but always had the clutch in fortunately.

I have always felt that the pedals on my Fabia are somehow off set and your feet are off to one side making it easy to catch the edge of your foot on the accellerater while breaking which I have done on the odd occasion. Years ago I had a triumph herald estate because of the engine and transmission setup your pedals were well off to the right. Joe

14 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

?

Are they offset to the right in the same way with a left hand drive car?

I have no idea but I would suspect they have to modify UK cars for right hand drive linkage to the pedals maybe some of our continental members can tell us Joe

11 minutes ago, fuelpump said:

Is this a wind up ?????????

Didn't know they did a wind up Fabia - I bet that is VERY good on fuel

On 10/18/2017 at 01:03, JoePeddos said:

I have no idea but I would suspect they have to modify UK cars for right hand drive linkage to the pedals maybe some of our continental members can tell us Joe

I drive a LHD Fabia and can confirm the pedal box is in a position that is only comfortable for someone with a physical deformity. 

Same as my previous car (Audi) 

it it seems also as if the steering wheel is not aligned with the center of the seat in German cars too. 

Don't discount a floor mat. I had it happen for sure on a car (Rover) back in the nineties. It was quite repeatable and I even phoned the dealer to book it in. They told me to check the mat and sure enough it was above the pedals a bit.