TYRE SIZES

VWD

Furby came with factory fitted underspeed rated tyres at 185/60/14, which were NOT up to local potholes and before long I'd changed the front ones ( sidewall bulges due to sunken drains ), with ones of a more appropriate speed rating.

Then one year I had an MOT come round where I'd had a lot of expenses and needed two new front tyres. I'm  not a fan of second hand tyres, but these were fitted as new to a car my daughter had scrapped, and she's a biker, so not noted for abusing tyres .So on they went, at 185/65/14 ,and I noticed car was a lot more stable.  I'm now on these all round ,and TBH, car feels like a limpet on wet and dry roads. Only problem is that speedo vs sat nav on Windows phone shows speedo is SOO accurate- 33 on speedo gets warning bongs on sat nav

Anyone comment on how/why. I've been known to up size tyres in past. One particular deviation was on on ye olde Vauxhall Victor FD 2 litre, replacing 155 with 175 and a lot more grip.

It’ll be because you’ve lowered the aspect ratio, 65 to 60, not much but like you’ve said, it made a difference.  (Aspect ratio; is the ratio of the tyres width to the tyres height. So it means that the aspect ratio is now 60% of the 185mm width.

You've theoretically increased the diameter of the wheels and tyres by 18.5mm, this means that your rolling circumference has increased by 58mm, from 1815mm to 1873mm, this is how far the car will travel with each wheel revolution. and the speedo counts wheel revolutions, not actual road speed.

In reality the figure is probably higher than this. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, the speeding conviction rule is 10% + 1 mph. Save your speeding for the open road rather than risking it in town.

^^^ Not a 'rule' is it?

That was ACPO Guidelines, and might still be relevant in much of England & Wales, not all of those countries roads though, & not in Scotland anymore.

'Stops & formal warnings if Just Over the speed limit,, 1st chance type thing.'  Police Scotland cover all for stopping vehicles, having a word, sniff etc,

& Now that 'Average speed cameras' cover lots of Trunk Routes then the first you will find out is when the NIP drops through the letter box.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

That you have different tyre sizes fitted is a poor excuse really for not knowing that you are exceeding max posted speed limits or the NSL IMO.

Easy enough to check what your speed really is when you have OEM sizes fitted or alternative ones on.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Few years ago I was recorded at 33mph in a 30mph zone (that's what the letter said) and had the option of speed awareness course or 3 points so I don't think the 10% + 1 mph is actually something that is followed by all police forces!!!

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

^^^ Not a 'rule' is it?

That was ACPO Guidelines, and might still be relevant in much of England & Wales, not all of those countries roads though, & not in Scotland anymore.

'Stops & formal warnings if Just Over the speed limit,, 1st chance type thing.'  Police Scotland cover all for stopping vehicles, having a word, sniff etc,

& Now that 'Average speed cameras' cover lots of Trunk Routes then the first you will find out is when the NIP drops through the letter box.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

That you have different tyre sizes fitted is a poor excuse really for not knowing that you are exceeding max posted speed limits or the NSL IMO.

Easy enough to check what your speed really is when you have OEM sizes fitted or alternative ones on.

Wow, are you from the future?

5 minutes ago, duck said:

Few years ago I was recorded at 33mph in a 30mph zone (that's what the letter said) and had the option of speed awareness course or 3 points so I don't think the 10% + 1 mph is actually something that is followed by all police forces!!!

its a myth. speed awareness courses advise you do the SPEED LIMIT. speedos are accurate these days, there is NO allowed percentage. 30mph is 30mph!

get out on the road with satnav/gps speedo, sit at 30 clock speed, if the gps reads 60 at 60, its accurate, if not then you can ether sticker up the original speedo dial or just plain remember where 30/50/60/70 actually is on your dash. remember, with diff tyreas, the faster you go, the more inaccurate the clocks will be, so 30 is usually unaffected with a simple tyre change. ive had scooters that will do 65 with an 80 profile tyre but not get past 40 with a 60 profile! tyres/wheel size can make a MASSIVE difference!

the highway CODE is the act used as law in england.. but is still open to interpritation/local legislation. i literally have a letter from my local council stating what parts they do and dont enforce!  the acpo are a bunch of police who formed a PRIVATE organisation to try and privatize and regulate/standardize how policing takes place as TOO MANY police choose to interpret the law. the road traffic act 1991 is in use today and clearly defines speeding as "traveling in excess of the speed limit".. meaning 31mph is speeding. can we stop spreading these unlawfull rumors about an allowed percentage? its nowhere in LAW. the road traffic act is what outlines offenses. its what the POLICE use as a rulebook for motoring. nothing else!

Edited by MiNoRcOnFuSiOn

Remember the UK Government made Legislation and then issued 'Guidance' to the Courts / Judges / JP's, 

so Speed Law/ Guidelines from the UK Government might affect England, even Wales and sometimes Scotland / Northern Ireland, 

but often just England.

http://gov.uk/speeding-penalties 

Highway Agency (ENGLAND) today,

60 mph through roadworks, some roadworks, workers dependent, @ 60 mph,    ENGLAND they are talking about.

Must be trying to keep bad news off the TV, Radio, Internet, Newspapers, what important is happening?

Guys, I drive approximately 50k a year and speed all day every day out on the open road, I stick to the ACPO guidelines and do not get tickets, I drive past speed cameras at these speeds and they don't flash.

I'm a grownup and I'm comfortable making my own decisions and accept responsibility for any consequences arising from those decisions, however I do NOT exceed the speed limits in built-up areas as I already intimated.

All I said was, don't worry about it because the tyre size change is well within tolerance.

find me this "guideline!" in admissable form.... courts dont enforce guidelines.. nor do the police *unless acting negligently) these guidelines arte the only mention of any percentage based aloowance, this is down to measuring equiptment tollerance. so the speed camera has to be accurate within blah blah.. calibration certificates, thus fit for perpous. this does NOT mean you, the end user. the speed limit is 30, you may do 30mph.. actual speed. no more. again, more accurate speeding measuring devices give out fines for 33mph in a 30.. and there is NO legislation that exempts you from this in court. just guidelines for how the police are ADVISED to police these issues. its really quite simple. go ask a copper/judge/solicitor :D

if your gonna use it as an excuse. the excuse better be in writing and admissable as evidence/accepted as LEGISLATION not ADVICE or it is worthless.

so again, can someone provide proof/actual written legislation stating we can exceed the speed limit by 10%? as i cant find any. all i can find is calibnration and tollerence for measuring equiptment giving any percentage based variable. 30mph is 30mph

Supulchrave,

Good, and neither should you speed in built up areas, and sometimes even maximums are not appropriate.

Fixed cameras are disappearing in Scotland as Average Speed Cameras are erected in 20, 30 & 40 MPH reduced limits in towns, cities and even villages on the A77 /Ayrshire.

Not ACPO Guidelines allowances applying in non NSL areas and Traffic Work Reduced areas in many areas.

Yesterday i did 450 miles and the 70 mile route with the Average Speed Cameras still 'Under Testing' had 3 Speed Safety Partnership mobile vans sitting. A90.

The A9 had so much Road Works that travel time was slow, and many drivers seemed to be unaware that Dual Carriageways at a Crawler Lane is still NSL if no middle divider so 60 mph for cars not 70MPH.

Then there is the Pilot Scheme for HGV's which covers the A9 in parts, but not other routes in Scotland.

Then Busses / Coaches of different sizes have different Max Speeds on some road types from England / Wales.

Amazing how many do not seem to know that Average Speed Cameras / ANPR know the Vehicle Class and Max speed limit applying to that vehicle on the route being driven.

*The future is already here!*

7815751_orig.png

Speed_limits-in-Scotland.jpg

7 minutes ago, MiNoRcOnFuSiOn said:

find me this "guideline!" in admissable form.... courts dont enforce guidelines.. nor do the police *unless acting negligently) these guidelines arte the only mention of any percentage based aloowance, this is down to measuring equiptment tollerance. so the speed camera has to be accurate within blah blah.. calibration certificates, thus fit for perpous. this does NOT mean you, the end user. the speed limit is 30, you may do 30mph.. actual speed. no more. again, more accurate speeding measuring devices give out fines for 33mph in a 30.. and there is NO legislation that exempts you from this in court. just guidelines for how the police are ADVISED to police these issues. its really quite simple. go ask a copper/judge/solicitor :D

if your gonna use it as an excuse. the excuse better be in writing and admissable as evidence/accepted as LEGISLATION not ADVICE or it is worthless.

so again, can someone provide proof/actual written legislation stating we can exceed the speed limit by 10%? as i cant find any. all i can find is calibnration and tollerence for measuring equiptment giving any percentage based variable. 30mph is 30mph

Absolutely not.

I have only my vast experience to draw upon, you're new here and we don't welcome trolls and pedants to the fold, Skoda ownership is no longer about creeping around at the speed limit with a tartan blanket and some scatter cushions on the parcel shelf.

Briskoda stands for "Briskly driven Skoda" and that's how I drive.

I make no excuses for my speeding, I simply accept the consequences and pay up when I get caught. I currently have no points at all on my licence but accept that I will get caught again.

So you're completely missing the point and being a d1ck about it to boot.

• Like 1

Pot kettle black / The Briskoda way!

'Within the limits',  relevant wording,

not "just a wee bit over them is OK and ACPO said so".

Updated warning scheme rolls out - Police Scotland.mhtml

Police warning to Aberdeen drivers as speed gun op continues - Evening Express.mhtml

18 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Absolutely not.

I have only my vast experience to draw upon, you're new here and we don't welcome trolls and pedants to the fold, Skoda ownership is no longer about creeping around at the speed limit with a tartan blanket and some scatter cushions on the parcel shelf.

Briskoda stands for "Briskly driven Skoda" and that's how I drive.

I make no excuses for my speeding, I simply accept the consequences and pay up when I get caught. I currently have no points at all on my licence but accept that I will get caught again.

So you're completely missing the point and being a d1ck about it to boot.

im new so logic, law and fact dont count? why am i being a ****? im simply trying to get to the bottom of an issue thats quite clearly in black and white. law and guidelines are not the same thing

this is people spreading myths that basicly lead people to belive speeding is ok. its not. the 10% rule is NOT aknowledged by the police/any court. sorry if im mistaken, ive asked someone to provide me LEGISLATION stating im incorrect in my assumption. the law is the law. people follow yourt advice will emnd up with points fines and expensive insurance. people following my advice have written evidence acceptablke by a court/judge. do we use guidelines in court?

this topic is about tyre sizes. if you fit bigger tyres, your car will display a LOWERT speed, thus, you will UNKNOWINGLY be going faster than 30mph when yopur clock reads 30. your telling people this is ok. based on your assumption. who is trolling here? i belive that would be you, negligently informing people that "its within limits" and you CANT provide PROOF of YOUR claim. this WILL result in speeding tickets. your forum post is inadmisable evidence. if your gonna give out POOR advice, try back it up with facts/not call out anyone who disagrees as a troll. the p[olice/judges/solicitors do NOT agree with you

Edited by MiNoRcOnFuSiOn

5 minutes ago, MiNoRcOnFuSiOn said:

this is people spreading myths that basicly lead people to belive speeding is ok. its not. the 10% rule is NOT aknowledged by the police/any court. sorry if im mistaken, ive asked someone to provide me LEGISLATION stating im incorrect in my assumption. the law is the law. people follow yourt advice will emnd up with points fines and expensive insurance. people following my advice have written evidence acceptablke by a court/judge. do we use guidelines in court?

I'm not ADVISING anyone to do anything illegal, jesus, READ the post will you!

5 minutes ago, MiNoRcOnFuSiOn said:

i did read the post. wrong tyre size = wrong displayed road speed = SPEEDING. an offence. leading to points. your terying to say speeding does not always mean an offense.. and thats WRONG.

Nope, I said "I wouldn't worry about it". Are you autistic because you're definitely a literalist and extremely pedantic, tell us about the accuracy of the OP's speedo with different sized tyres please.

You've hijacked this thread and are now making a mess.

60 to 65 profile equates to around 1mph per 30... so at 70mph on the m25, you could quite easily trip speed cameras, so your "i wouldnt worry about it" is actually quite bad advice ;)

if your gonna change rolling circumfrance from stock, be aware of the change and DRIVE WITH THIS IN MIND as there is ZERO allowance for speeding. 31mph in a 30 is speeding. fact, unless you can prove otherwise (in a way that would be recreatable in court) without throwing round insult after insult :)

Edited by MiNoRcOnFuSiOn