Newbie- give me some reassurance!

I got a mail response from the head of PR at Skoda Sweden today. Ok, prob not the most technical guy maybe but  he should have the facts straight and he said that the 1.5 TSI is in fact paired with the dry clutch DQ200. He didnt however provide me with any "proof" that this is the case. This is the second Skoda representative in Sweden (the first one was a sales manager at a Dealer in the south of Sweden) that has stated that its the DQ200.

• 3 weeks later...

I ragged the absolute nutts off a 1.4 TSI with the DQ200 box for 42 months, you couldn't kill it with a big stick let alone normal driving.

I'd be really surprized if the 1.5 didn't have that box as the wet 7 speed box is good for some 600Nm & the 1.5 engine is only 250Nm, that would be OVER engineering on a grand scale

With several million DQ200's built it's not surprising there are several hundred gone wrong. That's the only one's we hear about. themanwithnoaim sums it up nicely and his is the only comment I've ever seen which praises the DQ200 because no-one posts on a forum with a "isn't the XXX gearbox good" thread.

• Like 1

My dealer thought it was the DQ200 but he didn't know!

Anyway I've had the car 10 days and love it- not driven an auto for many years and am amazed by how imperceptible the gear changes are and the change from 2 to 4 cylinder running

I was also very lucky to get it within a few weeks of placing my order, judging by the thread on build times

People are getting confused between the 7-speed dry-clutch DQ200 and the newer 7-speed wet-clutch DQ500 which is  slowly replacing the wet-clutch 6-speed DQ250 in many cars (like the bigger diesels and the Golf R)

The lower torque cars like the 1.5tsi will carry on with the DQ200. The bigger cars like the higher power Superb diesels, will probably get the heavier DQ500 if they are listed with a 7-speed DSG.