Scary Sudden Steering Jerks

9 hours ago, faker said:

...but you're very confident that the shafts are good...

No, I'm not. I'm taking into consideration replacing CV shafts too as a backup solution. Time will tell.

On Sunday, November 05, 2017 at 06:34, RicardoM said:

No, I'm not. I'm taking into consideration replacing CV shafts too as a backup solution. Time will tell.

Time will tell sir. Good luck

faker

Please tell me more details about the Clio event.

Did you eventually see hard proof of faulty CV? Or you concluded it had to be the CV only because you replaced it on a hunch?

5 hours ago, RicardoM said:

faker

Please tell me more details about the Clio event.

Did you eventually see hard proof of faulty CV? Or you concluded it had to be the CV only because you replaced it on a hunch?

Hi Ricardo. Inner CV joint failed, which caused the steering wheel to jerk as you have described. I checked the inner CV and found that it had excessive movement and play due to wear (able to move shaft up and down in the inner CV housing). New shaft rectified the problem. Should also mention that for a period of time prior to the CV failing, there was a slight vibration under acceleration, which was also rectified when the shaft was replaced. The worn inner CV was throwing the balance off.

3 hours ago, faker said:

(able to move shaft up and down in the inner CV housing)

This is an information worth keeping in mind.

In conclusion, both excessive play and partially seized CV joints (mentioned earlier by Rustynuts) can result in sudden, random steering jerks on the same side with faulty CV.