1.4TSI Engine In Fabia?

SWMBO wants a new car with a zoom zoom, performance, but as a smaller car.  She likes the performance of my 1.4TSI Octavia, but not its size. And VW Golfs , her ideal, are too expensive.

Has this engine, ACT or non ACT been fitted to Fabias in the UK. Any comments about engine performance, reliability and economy?

No they have not been.  (1.4TSI twinchargers in Mk2 Fabia, but then reliability would not be a characteristic, performance is 180ps minimum.)

Not even 1.4 TSI without ACT in Mk3 Fabia.

1.0TSI now in the Fabia is a cracker.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

The 1.4 ACT has been available in the Polo, Ibiza, and A1 though. The A1 can also be had with a 125PS non-ACT version of the 1.4 TSI. And the new 1.5 ACT (badged TSI Evo) is available (or shortly will be) in the new Ibiza and Polo. If the Golf is too expensive but is otherwise ideal, have you looked at the Leon? 

The 1.0tsi certainly doesn't go like a rocket but performance is adequate. If she want more power, you might try a polo gti. Golf is bigger and aligned with the A3. Really depends what she is using it for. Our Fabia 1.0tsi is great for pottering about, the daily commute and we do take it on the motorway but if I am going for a run, I prefer the S3 but that isn't a fair comparison. The Fabia is comfortable and brilliant at what it does (ours is a manual as the kids were learning to drive and they use it too). 

You really need to drive a 1.0ltr/110 or 1.2/110 that has been run-in. They do get better with age. Mine has 17k on it now and, whilst not a rocket, it does go rather well...if you're prepared to use the revs.  Coming from diesels it took me a while to get back to actually revving te engine and not relying on the deep well of torque that diesels, (particularly the Volvo D5), have. 

Of course, you could always find a suitable ex-demo Golf.

I agree that the 1.2TSI 110PS goes very well, though most of the time I am obsessed with trying to keep the MPG figures very high!  I am frightened to take my S4 in case I get beaten up by these tree huggers in their Nissan Leafs that seem to fly everywhere, though I'm sure that I could overtake them with my S4 while they are in for a top up!

So maybe consider a Nissan Leaf?

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need a rocket to move a feather. Around town and on country B-roads the Fabia is very nippy and agile. It's not slow or under powered by any stretch.  Rarely do I drive it and think "I wish it had more power".

However if overtaking on the motorway is important than a 1.4TSI powered car is a better choice. 

• Confused 1

Surely overtaking on a motorway is less important, you look, indicate and change lane and overtake acceleration not important, merging from a slip road is, 

but overtaking there are no vehicles coming towards you.

On a 60 MPH NSL road having to overtake from say 40 mph can be very important to do that in a bit of a quick manner if passing opportunities are limited and the time on the wrong side of the road can be the difference between staying where you are or passing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/12/2017 at 11:38, AwaoffSki said:

From a post in the Fabia Mk2 section.

I know nothing other than what is in the link,  sorry only way i could link it.

Fabia vRS Light. 

1.4TSI 125ps / DSG

Sondermodell mit 125 PS TSI-Motor_ Fabia RS Light _ Autonotizen.mhtml

Here is information on skoda page:

https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/skoda-celebrates-rally-titles-limited-edition-skoda-fabia/

18 hours ago, Gauss said:

1.4tsi (125) with DSG,  limited to 1300,   but none coming to UK   

extended standard equipment including features like heated front seats, rear view camera, navigation system “Amundsen”, Climatronic automatic climate control, Keyless-Go, rear parking sensors, electric windows front and rear, Adaptive Cruise Control as well as Light and Rain Assist.

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

1.4tsi (125) with DSG,  limited to 1300,   but none coming to UK   

extended standard equipment including features like heated front seats, rear view camera, navigation system “Amundsen”, Climatronic automatic climate control, Keyless-Go, rear parking sensors, electric windows front and rear, Adaptive Cruise Control as well as Light and Rain Assist.

Shame I'd have bought one in a heart beat !

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

Strange Skoda would spend money on installing an engine specifically for a limited edition Fabia.

Unless they always intended for the 1.4T to be installed so development was already done but didn't think there was a market for it to be sold in big enough numbers.

Also how long is the 1.4T engine going to be sold for seeing there is the more efficient and powerful 1.5T (150ps/110kw) being installed across the Volkswagen range.

On 28/11/2017 at 14:58, AwaoffSki said:

Surely overtaking on a motorway is less important, you look, indicate and change lane and overtake acceleration not important, merging from a slip road is, 

George, " How many people do know who change lanes on a Motorway "  They all sit in Lane 2 or 3 and wont move over     :wall:

Using up engines / parts and patents,  and surely finally the 1.4tsi is sorted, the last hoora, Maybe the best of 1.4TSI's.

no more snagging faults now a decade & more on with the final production runs.

DQ200 DSG all sorted as well....

Edited by AwaoffSki

14 hours ago, AJR77 said:

Strange Skoda would spend money on installing an engine specifically for a limited edition Fabia.

Unless they always intended for the 1.4T to be installed so development was already done but didn't think there was a market for it to be sold in big enough numbers.

Also how long is the 1.4T engine going to be sold for seeing there is the more efficient and powerful 1.5T (150ps/110kw) being installed across the Volkswagen range.

The 1.5 is now available for the Skoda UK range on certain models, Octavia for example (will be my next upgrade)

To be honest I don't think the limited edition Fabia is enough to raise eyebrows, it's top speed is a little higher and it gets to 62mph perhaps 1 second faster at best, finished in Candy White....no metallic??

If they were going to do it at least drop the 1.5 150ps lump in there or I am sure the 1.5 could be tuned safely to 180ps giving half a chance to be a "hot hatch" competing with the likes of Fiesta ST, 208 Gti etc.

Anyway rant over....they ain't coming to the UK lets blame Brexit on that one :dull:  as always.

Perhaps in 2018 we will get a face lift/tuned up Fabia........who knows

The 1.5TSI EVO is no doubt going to be fan dabbi dozzi,  greatest engine since the last greatest VW Designed and built, 

so lets see if snagging faults are quickly and efficiently dealt with, and VW accept them as present if Customers report issues, and Dealership Staff log them and TPI's are issued etc.

Time will tell, if after a Century VW Group have a perfect engine with Clear Servicing  Schedule and easy parts ordering etc, 

about time Belts & water pumps had long lives, and Long Life Oils mean Long Life engines, and all seals seal etc.

As to the simplest of a 1.4TSI with just 125ps. surely that should last 'long time mister'; no wuckin furries, easy servicing.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

As to the simplest of a 1.4TSI with just 125ps. surely that should last 'long time mister'; no wuckin furries, easy servicing.

I am sure it will last long time....still i would have expected 150ps minimum for a limited edition or VRS light model. 150ps is tried and tested already from the 1.4TSI.....shame I think.

When the S2000 Fabia came out as a tribute / attention catcher it was a vRS still just with stickers and some extra stuff as standard,

& then the Monte Carlo Mk2's were a joke from 59ps with all the Rally DNA of a up to 105ps car with rear discs can be.

SEAT had a 150ps Ibiza FR when the first Twincharger Ibiza180 ps production was stopped, a cracking car.

VW Group will not allow Skoda to sell performance cars that outshine more expensive models from VW, SEAT or Audi, 

Skoda just get Show and no extra go.  At least if they handle and stop well that would be something, but the use of the Monte Carlo name as a Trim Level is really taking the p!ss.

PLenty 138 & 148 BHP 1.4TSI & TFSI and ACT / COD versions around right enough but if they sell a simple easy to insure car for much cheapness that might be a

stop gap until the Warm Hybrid comes out.

If all the 'Special Edition' Fabia do not sell then probably VW can probably use some excuse for again going with Warm Seat and VW's and just keep on spinning the Motorsport Heritage, Success etc, and just producing quicker big fat cars.

Nothing that relates to what gives the Motorsport success other than corporate colors.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

I was just thinking if the 1.4 TSI 125 ps/ dsg as is gong to be used in this Fabia will not only be Euro 6 as it must be, but be able to meet the Co2 g/km under Real World / WLTP / RDE testing 

where as some of the 1.4 TSI / TFSI 150ps / DSG vehicles currently on sale may not be anyplace near!

Edited by AwaoffSki