Nightmare fabia vrs engine replacement needed!

Jav_110

Skoda dealership in sheffield (bickerton) have removed the full engine out of the 60 reg fabia because skoda extended warranty told them to, so they can "investigate" the cause of the problem, which they have now done and said we are not payig out, therefore i have to pay for strip down which was like £474 plus whatever it cost to put it back together:(

Well you would have to if the Warranty Provider gets away with taking the pith, which is unlikely with a proper inspection done of the engine, 

because as VW / Skoda knows the Piston Rings were not fit for purpose that were fitted in 2010.

Then Julian @ Bickerton Skoda Sheffield seemingly knows that it was 'normal' for the Mk2 Fabia vRS to use 1 litre of Oil in 1,000 miles. 

so Bickerton did an odd thing removing the engine just because of a misfire after they had serviced it.

I think i would be seeing them in court, with Another Independent Motor Engineers report commissioned by you or your solicitor or Trading Standards.

VW Group would be able to defend the engines and the selling of warranties and then the refusing a Warranty claim because of a previously known issue.

Not something they have been prepared to do in a UK court yet with a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I agree with the above posting, something has gone badly wrong there, they have taken the engine out of your car and said, "that's it, now pay us to refit it"  - that sounds like someone messed up, surely an agreed path to resolving this should have been agreed by all parties before your dealer just removed that engine.  I think that is called blackmail, extortion, or a cunning way to force you to back off and just throw your cash/car in the bin and end of story for Skoda UK!

Teach them a lesson on how to behave professionally.

Edit:- remember while at the moment, this is a Skoda issue, ultimately it is a VW Group problem, so be careful where you next spend your money as that smart looking VW Polo 1.4TSI GTI or SEAT Ibiza Cupra 1.4TSI version will just be the same trouble if things go wrong.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 2

Well waiting too see wht happens this coming week as this is a complete joke! I am in no way backing down no matter how much it costs to get a result , i will take them all the way to court if need be. It might help if somehow we can find out how many of these engines have been replaced already? IS THere any way of finding out? 

• Like 2

The engine does not require taking out for inspection anyway, so there is lots of crap going on here what ever happened.

2 sides to every story obviously, or even several sides even.

good luck with it.

How can anyone that has bought your 2014 car have faith in a warranty they buy, there are known issues with it, possible timing chain tensioner as an example.

Water Pump life & premature expiry of it, and still oil consumption issues with some, then the DQ200 issue that requires some to have Service Campaign '34H5' carried out.

RE How many of the1.4TSI TFSI 132-136 Kw Euro 5 engines in the  UK / EU & Rest of the World required replacement and how many replaced required replacing.

The QC taking the case to court will be getting that information from VW Group when they are defending the action against them.

They are no doubt going to proudly announce for the public record just what the numbers are.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

• Like 1

Bickerton did make me aware of the strip down price before they did it and asked me for authority to strip and did make me aware if not covered i have to foot the bill, which I thought no problem, will be a straight forward engine replacement claim as sooo many people have had it done, plus having all component cover with skoda uk, the last thing I thought is they will ask me to pay the bill as its a known common problem 

• Like 1

Then you were aware, and you had the Warranty Policy T&C's which you must have read.

So it comes down to the Warranty and was there previous known faults, could you have known, bought a Warranty after the fact, 

or were you sold a Warranty by a Warranty Provider that knows the facts and the possible implications and likely hood of failing piston rings and other components. 

The Warranty Provider & Seller, The Manufacturer & DEalership employees know the answers, 

They were not all Tommy, ie deaf dumb and blind and unaware of why CAVE Engines were discontinued mid 2012 and replaced with upgraded ones with different internal components and Engine Management.

VW Group know the failure rate & Manufactures Warranty Claim percentage 2009-2012, then during Warranty Periods and after and how many out of Warranty with VW Group they supplied engines for.

Twinchargers in the Beetle, Golf, Tiguan, Touran, Passat, Scirocco,Polo, Alhambra, Ibiza, Fabia, A1 ETC,

& VW have plenty knowledge of other Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Materials & Component choice and Quality Control failings.

http://adamlewin.co.uk/vw-mk5-golf-tsi-engine-timing-chain-problem 

There were no previous faults on the car, the car has been using 1 litre of oil to a 1000 miles for a while, which is what i inquired about and got told from bickertons as that was "normal"  a month after the extended warranty came into affect and 1 week after it had its major service it developed a misfire issue , thats when the problem started, so the defence of the warranty company is, because i enquired about the car using 1 litre of oil before the warranty came in to affect the fault must have been there before hand, which is incorrect, the car never mis fired before, so just using that as a excuse not to pay out

Edited by Jav_110
  • Like 1

get a no win no fee solicitor and push as far as you can not only are the warranty company having you for a mug the garage are taking you for a mug aswell because in the book that comes with the car it says this engine can burn a litre every 1000 miles which skoda love to try to stick to so you've done everything by the book you even asked if that was normal to try and save the engine before it went in a big way sounds like the garage knew it was gonna go in a big way now the engine is removed completely why not buy a second hand CTHE engine from a scrappers (eBay have them) and replace it while the engine is stripped out save yourself a lot of money

^Also on oil topic you have not had an official consumption test done, and it will be too late now as the engine is out (this will go in your favour).

For reference when i reported mine as an oil issue' they insisted on the consumption test to prove it even though i wanted to book car in for a service + 5 fixes. I was out of warranty.

So to them (Skoda / VW) the oil problem doesnt exist in an engine until it has failed the official weighing /mileage procedure. Mine was 1Litre in 642 miles. Way above yours. Last year it was sorted.

By not even starting the consumption test and jumping the gun they have skipped their own procedure a few stages. (For example it could have had a tiny leak instead...)

On paper i dont see what legal argument the warranty provider has, you might have mentioned it 'seemed' or 'might' be burning oil but on paper there is no record of it, your case i think is very strong.

Edited by Kobayashi

Depressing to read about this and I feel for the OP - to hear the warranty provider knock back on the grounds that the issue existed (so they claim...) prior to inception of the warranty, well :wall:

It just makes me even more sceptical about non-manufacturer warranties but you should be able to have more confidence in one that is actually sold by a manufacturer.

• Like 1

You might even begin to wonder if VW Group's financial arm that is supporting this VW Group extended warranty, is attempting to tightening the screws on pay outs when ever how ever they can - though I'd doubt if trading standards etc will see things their way.

Hi guys just an update, had a letter come through post from the financial ombudsman stating they have sent a letter over to vw financial services stating there is a complaint put in against your company, it says give them a few days they shall be in touch with you and i already complained to the underwriter of the policy which they emailed me back saying they are doing a full investigation into the case and should hear from them in 5 workings if it is straight forward or in "more complex cases" up to 8 weeks but they will keep me updated on a weekly basis 

• Like 1

so potentially no car for 8 weeks maybe longer, I think this is why it puts people off from starting a complaint, my dads friend went down this route on a problematic Audi and it took over a year, be prepared for long haul, hope it is swift resolution for you, u may get made an offer & be banned by VW from talking about it, but that's how these things go sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting not heard anything back at all even thoue they said "in more complex cases it can take up to 8 weeks but we will keep you updated on a weekly basis" not had that so just more bullS**t  from skoda,  had skoda uk ring to today to ask if i could take part in a survey which i did and slated skoda on every single question. Going to email them now and ask wth is going on as i am without a courtesy car now and my car is sat in skoda bickerton car park with no engine init! Its an absolute joke!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jav_110

Everyone has got their fingers crossed for you on this one - you have been grossly unfairly (and fraudulently?)  treated by all concerned

Three immediate issues come to mind.

1 - Skoda Dealerships are NOT aware of the nuances of the product they sell, and have no real interest in providing knowledgeable backup. How often do we hear reports of the time honoured expressions  "They are all like that" OR " Never had one like that before"

2 - Skoda/Volkswagen are in permanent denial that any thing can be wrong with their products, and exercise a lot of time and effort avoiding reality. How any company can be unaware of the problems in the field to this degree is difficult to understand? 

Say nothing and the problems will go away seems to be their policy. We are all well aware that VW are only too aware of the problems - hence the long drawn out list of mods to overcome the many issues, AND the subsequent withdrawal of the 1.4 twin charger lump.

3 - I am amazed that Skoda/VW's response differs around the world. In the states where litigation is an everyday reality they HAVE to respond. In the UK they pull up the drawbridge - go deaf and/or are unavailable for comment. VW are fully aware of your issues, and yet they have taken your money for an extended warranty regardless, For such a large company to have no interrelated communications is beyond belief.

I feel so strongly about this (having had a somewhat unsatisfactory experience myself) that I hope that you will pursue this matter to a total cost free (to you) solution, and obtain compensation accordingly.

I wonder if a crowdfunding start would be of help to you. I dont know how these things work - but someone might have that knowledge. Just a thought.

Finally - I am so disappointed with the way our own ministry of transport is not alive and kicking - and acting on the motoring public's interest. It seems to be Skoda/VW?  - oh no, we wont go there.

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 3

Hi 2ndskoda thank you for taking a look at this on going issue with skoda. I have rung the skoda extended warranty company up for an update from a lady called “Terri Howard” as she is the one now dealing with my complaint only to be told she is in a conference meeting and will call you back later today, that being 11am suprise suprise no phone calls, so will be ringing again in morning. As soon as i get a response i will give you guys a update. 

• 4 weeks later...