Recommendations- Revo or Shark

Again, thanks for the comments. I chose Shark on reading the recommendations and  based on the the slightly lower Bhp figure as I just wanted to freshen up the feel of the performance (yes I know I will get used to it) and see if the relatively modest expense delays me buying a new car. I really enjoyed the MkII, I don't feel quite as loyal to this one....yet. The remap might do it. It's the first one I've had done so I hope it's a good experience. 

1 hour ago, Redboy said:

Again, thanks for the comments. I chose Shark on reading the recommendations and  based on the the slightly lower Bhp figure as I just wanted to freshen up the feel of the performance (yes I know I will get used to it) and see if the relatively modest expense delays me buying a new car. I really enjoyed the MkII, I don't feel quite as loyal to this one....yet. The remap might do it. It's the first one I've had done so I hope it's a good experience. 

Let us know how you get on - Ben and the team at Shark are a great bunch, so I’m sure you’ll be happy with the end result! 

6 hours ago, Gizmo said:

+1

Personally I wouldn’t go anywhere else.

100% disagree,

for most people it’s how the power is delivered that is the most important, high figures are great for bragging to your mates... that is about it.

^^^ This.

I had a PD130 Superb that whilst it was very nippy the map ruined the car IMO, it was all or nothing and very spikey, took the map off and it drove much nicer as std... will less power but smooth power delivery again.

Then had it remapped which made it just as quick again but very smooth.

But we're not talking about amateurs with that list of tuners hence, a progressive smooth map is assured or they wouldn't have the reputations they have, would they

Edited by themanwithnoaim

54 minutes ago, vtec to vrs! said:

Let us know how you get on - Ben and the team at Shark are a great bunch, so I’m sure you’ll be happy with the end result! 

Will do. Hopefully with big smiley face emojis ! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, john999boy said:

As has been said previously, you will actually benefit more from a smooth map - and ignore headline figures as only a rolling road will give you a true figure. 

This. Peak power means absolutely NOTHING if it only reaches it for a brief moment, and the journey there is crap. A lot of these maps will only hit peak power for 100rpm or so, or only hit that power in a car running 99RON on an optimistic Dyno with perfect atmospheric conditions. Then that generic map is uploaded to your car. They also seem to have brutal torque curves.

A smooth map with useable power and no torque spikes is the way to go, which usually involves a custom map.

This is coming from someone who's used a number of mappers before (4 cars and counting) - with my Shark remapped cars I've never had any issues. With others (I won't name them) I've needed new clutches / DMFs even on lower mileage cars way too soon.

TL:DR - beware of tuners who are chasing figures, especially if you plan to keep the car for more than two years. And if its a manual- the manual can't take as much of a beating as the DSG, but most tuners will use the same map regardless.

• Like 2

Oscarli are actually really reasonably priced. The only 'issue' is Rich doesn't have a Dyno on site in Kenilworth.

Apart from that, he's the guy who write the maps for a lot of the big boys, and well worth a chat with.

IIRC I was quoted around the £300 mark for a remap on my 230.

Edited by stu83
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Absolute cream of the crop, if only money was no object ?

I think in xpower's thread he said around the £350 mark?

48 minutes ago, stu83 said:

Oscarli are actually really reasonably priced. The only 'issue' is Rich doesn't have a Dyno on site in Kenilworth.

Apart from that, he's the guy who write the maps for a lot of the big boys, and well worth a chat with.

IIRC I was quoted around the £300 mark for a remap on my 230.

Even better & with a company like Oscarli you will know that your car has been mapped by a top outfit :thumbup: & seems on the better price factor compared to other tuning companies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BATVANVRS said:

I think in xpower's thread he said around the £350 mark?

Yeah, that's probably about right actually.

Still incredibly competitive, I almost used Oscarli but then Shark offered 25% off, and I'd used them before with great results.

Ended up getting essentially a custom map through them in the end, which was awesome. They uploaded the generic map then stuck it on the rollers while they fine-tuned it to my car.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stu83 said:

Ended up getting essentially a custom map through them in the end, which was awesome. They uploaded the generic map then stuck it on the rollers while they fine-tuned it to my car.

See, this is what I want - Stage 1 power, reliability, and efficiency, but mapped to the modified components on the car.

Sadly, I don't live anywhere near Mansfield... but I'm sure I could justify a 400 mile round trip. Otherwise, one of their dealers in Kent was going to spin up their map from Sidcup and see how that runs. Maybe that's a start, and next time I'm in the area with the car, I could pop in and see what they could offer me...

On 11/13/2017 at 09:18, Ads230 said:

See, this is what I want - Stage 1 power, reliability, and efficiency, but mapped to the modified components on the car.

Sadly, I don't live anywhere near Mansfield... but I'm sure I could justify a 400 mile round trip. Otherwise, one of their dealers in Kent was going to spin up their map from Sidcup and see how that runs. Maybe that's a start, and next time I'm in the area with the car, I could pop in and see what they could offer me...

.... and then all you need is a black spoiler :D

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2017 at 09:49, stu83 said:

This. Peak power means absolutely NOTHING if it only reaches it for a brief moment, and the journey there is crap. A lot of these maps will only hit peak power for 100rpm or so, or only hit that power in a car running 99RON on an optimistic Dyno with perfect atmospheric conditions. Then that generic map is uploaded to your car. They also seem to have brutal torque curves.

A smooth map with useable power and no torque spikes is the way to go, which usually involves a custom map.

This is coming from someone who's used a number of mappers before (4 cars and counting) - with my Shark remapped cars I've never had any issues. With others (I won't name them) I've needed new clutches / DMFs even on lower mileage cars way too soon.

TL:DR - beware of tuners who are chasing figures, especially if you plan to keep the car for more than two years. And if its a manual- the manual can't take as much of a beating as the DSG, but most tuners will use the same map regardless.

Spot on. Power is the least important, it's all about the shape of the torque curve. I've had two shark maps, one from somewhere that I can't recall, and a box. The shark maps were a league above the other two choices. If I bought another petrol car tomorrow, I'd be straight up to Mansfield. 

Edited by stever750
  • Like 1

I'd be interested to see torque curves from the different tuners, Revo and  APR below

2_0-TSi-MQB-Torque.png

20_tsi_gen3_mqb_s0_vs_s1_93_cc.png

Edited by waaar