Indicators and DRL's on 2017 models

YMe

My 1.5TSi DSG SE L Hatchback has full LED headlights. When indicating the DRL on that side goes off and stays off until the indicator cancels. I have seen on this forum the stickys about DRL's being on or off in phase with and out of phase with the indicators - what is the legal requirement in the UK?

1 hour ago, YMe said:

My 1.5TSi DSG SE L Hatchback has full LED headlights. When indicating the DRL on that side goes off and stays off until the indicator cancels. I have seen on this forum the stickys about DRL's being on or off in phase with and out of phase with the indicators - what is the legal requirement in the UK?

Those mentions of the in phase and out of phase are on the Pre-facelift where the DRL LED strip is physically separate to the halogen orange indicator bulb. Are the indicator and drl strips separate on the facelift?

As for legality about the phases, I don't believe either is strictly legal. I believe there's a rule around only emergency vehicles being able to show flashing white lights at the front or something along those lines.

Edited by ahenners

17 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Those mentions of the in phase and out of phase are on the Pre-facelift where the DRL LED strip is physically separate to the halogen orange indicator bulb. Are the indicator and drl strips separate on the facelift?

I'll check this tomorrow.

Sort of related but not Skoda... I did a bit of research about this because the Qashqai I drive at the moment has very bright DRLs that don't dim or turn off with the indicators. The indicator bulb is right next to the DRL so oncoming drivers / pedestrians regularly don't notice it! So I leave the sidelights on all the time. 

I remember finding a quote from some regulations stating "manufacturers may wish to consider switching off or dimming of the DRL"  when the indicator is on. So Nissan are actually  within the regs. Frustrating because turning the hazards on does switch them off. So a bit of extra software coding could have avoided these mostly embarrassing but potentially dangerous situations. Rant over. 

32 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

I remember finding a quote from some regulations stating "manufacturers may wish to consider switching off or dimming of the DRL"  when the indicator is on. So Nissan are actually  within the regs. Frustrating because turning the hazards on does switch them off. So a bit of extra software coding could have avoided these mostly embarrassing but potentially dangerous situations.

IIRC the UN ECE regulations cover both options.

22 minutes ago, Rsrob said:

This is what the different lights look like on the full LED headlights 

image.jpeg

Thanks, Useful image!

Looking at those it looks like the DRL strip doubles as the indicator. I don't think it will be possible to do the in phase/ out of phase stuff that OP wants to do.

At best it's going to be an alternative flashing of white and orange, which isn't the same as a clear orange on, orange off that indicators are supposed to do.

I don't want to do the phased thing I was just curious. What I would like to do  is a mod where the indicator sort of sweeps across the horizontal in the direction you are turning. I have seen this on American imports I believe ( not Skoda).

The DRL and Indicator strip are two colour LED's and sit below the chromed shelf that the sidelight eyelashes are on - I love those eyelashes.

I assume that having two LED strips per side ( one strip  in the dip and the other in the full beam section keeps the car usable for a while as replacement is not as easy as popping in a new bulb.

Edited by YMe
I'm a shyte typist.

9 minutes ago, YMe said:

I don't want to do the phased thing I was just curious. What I would like to do  is a mod where the indicator sort of sweeps across the horizontal in the direction you are turning. I have seen this on American imports I believe ( not Skoda).

The DRL and Indicator strip are two colour LED's and sit below the chromed shelf that the sidelight eyelashes are on - I love those eyelashes.

I assume that having two LED strips per side ( one strip  in the dip and the other in the full beam section keeps the car usable for a while as replacement is not as easy as popping in a new bulb.

Most new Audi's have the swept indicators now.

Just now, SC03OTT said:

I don’t think the sweeping is a VCDS thing. It requires a different physical control module if memory serves correctly. 

Bugger!

1 hour ago, SC03OTT said:

I don’t think the sweeping is a VCDS thing. It requires a different physical control module if memory serves correctly. 

This is correct, it's not a simple thing to activate or retrofit.

10 hours ago, ahenners said:

Thanks, Useful image!

Looking at those it looks like the DRL strip doubles as the indicator. I don't think it will be possible to do the in phase/ out of phase stuff that OP wants to do.

At best it's going to be an alternative flashing of white and orange, which isn't the same as a clear orange on, orange off that indicators are supposed to do.

Yes the DRL does double as an indicator strip but when the indicator for one side is activated the respective DRL automatically switches off so there is no white-orange-white-orange it is orange-off-orange-off if that makes sense. Once the indicator is cancelled the DRL comes back on.

11 minutes ago, Spitfire Stef said:

Yes the DRL does double as an indicator strip but when the indicator for one side is activated the respective DRL automatically switches off so there is no white-orange-white-orange it is orange-off-orange-off if that makes sense. Once the indicator is cancelled the DRL comes back on.

OP was curious about the indicators and DRLs flashing in or out of phase, which if possible, would lead to the alternating white/orange scenario B)

Just now, YMe said:

That was my original curiosity but the sweeping indicators would be nice but a no go it seems - pity.

They look pretty good as they are, enjoy them! Look much better than the rubbish orange halogen next to Xenon and LED DRL

9 minutes ago, ahenners said:

OP was curious about the indicators and DRLs flashing in or out of phase, which if possible, would lead to the alternating white/orange scenario B)

Sorry mate, I should learn to read ALL the post and not just pick bits out!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ahenners said:

They look pretty good as they are, enjoy them! Look much better than the rubbish orange halogen next to Xenon and LED DRL

+1 to that.

Definitely enjoying what I've got.

• Like 1