Difficulty engaging first gear

Hi I have a 2016 manual 1.6 TDI. Sometimes I find it hard to engage first gear. I would have to step on the clutch twice or thrice before the gear would go in.

Usually it is at a traffic junction when I am in neutral and needs to engage first gear.

I have had someone to step and release the clutch while I looked at the brake oil reservoir. There's no noticeable movement on the oil level.

How should I proceed to diagnose? 

In addition, I have problem with grinding reverse. So I usually press on the clutch in 2nd gear for a few more seconds before putting into reverse to avoid the grind.

My mechanic suggest to replace the clutch and flywheel.

Car will still be under warranty. If it is just a problem with your car Skoda dealer will find it very difficult to find fault, after car is out of warranty any Skoda dealer should be able to diagnose.

If it is a more widespread problem - a design fault  (or characteristic as all car companies are prone to call them) then dealers may never be able to find the problem.

My experience of an Octavia 3 (1.4 tsi) is that the gearchange is quite obstructive compared with Octavia 2 (1.9 PD) having said that it should be noted that the Octavia 2 did have the benefit of an SMF conversion.

How many miles has your car done? I have the same engine and box as yours and it is still notchy but is improving with use. It has now done nearly 10K. I test drove a car with 15K and it was more accurate. 

Think I had this issue with mine,  1.6 TDI manual 2016,  everytime I put the car in neutral it would be very stiff getting into 1st, took it back to skoda where they retimed the gearbox,  worked great for a few days then went again but not as often,  took it back again and I think they just regreased it and put it in and out of 1st for a while to loosen it up,  that was back in April and so far so good now,  2016 model with about 16k on the clock when it had the problems

This is a relatively widespread issue across the range, including the VRSs.

In my experience (of 11 months), the throw has some harder resistance when the gearbox oil isn't warmed up to temp., and requires a little pre-rev to get the flywheel going (which makes it easier - say N to 1st, or 2nd to 1st). Similarly, when I leave my car in gear (park on a slope, handbrake isn't the strongest on these models), when the engine is off sometimes it's nigh impossible to move the lever into 1st - requires the car to move back slightly to engage.

Had these little niggles since first got ownership at 2200 miles on clock, but got used to it now - needs a little tease & care, especially now the temperature is dropping. Let us know if it's a more serious issue, though - again, this is just based on my experience.