Fuel Economy

vade

On 12/11/2017 at 19:59, POWYSWALES said:

I think there is only a real difference in eco and normal mode if you can take advantage of coasting, on my regular 14 mile run I can coast a good 3 miles of that run and probably about 1 mile on the return journey, the main thing is to keep your distance from the car in front and that way you don't have to keep pressing the brakes keeping the car in eco for a good few hundred yards at a time, the other good time to take advantage of eco is aproaching junctions, and when your about to come into a lower speed part of the road. backing of the accelerator well before and coasting at an ok pace to the junction or next reduced speed, but again it's all about looking at the road ahead, planning and only braking when total necessary, regularly I use a stretch if road (A458) on the road to shrewsbury, it is a good 7 miles long, the cars I am behind must press there brakes more than 50 times why normally I have not used mine more than twice on the same stretch. I'm still keeping pace behind them but just a better distance. By driving in this manner I regularly achieve upto 70mpg.

32333975.jpg

I concur!

Though I’ve pretty much given up on ECO mode for the reasons mentioned elsewhere above.

1 hour ago, vade said:

Gerrycan

DSG and radar CC but not much traffic. Tyres Dunlop standard size. Don't know what av speed was but very similar on both trips. No wind. About 8 miles @60mph; 2miles @40mph and 2 miles less than 30mph. Have a lot of motorway driving coming up so mpg will be interesting. I will probably be in normal mode. Is eco likely to be better for city driving?

Thanks for replying.

In theory the DSG is more economical than the manual. It does better in the official tests and top gear is slighter higher. Having said that the official tests can be better gamed in an auto and competitive economy drivers :) prefer manuals. So little real difference unlike the old auto 'slush' boxes which used to waste a lot of fuel.

Previously referred to by Powyswales but unnecessary braking is the enemy of good consumption.  The 1.4tsi engine offers remarkably little engine braking and I don't have ACC, so I have to ask others whether ACC actually applies brakes to control speed. I ask this because recently on a highway I was behind a car that was driving too close to the vehicle in front and making no attempt to overtake, the brakes lights were flashing incessantly so I assumed the driver had a ACC cruise either not set correctly or malfunctioning.

Mine is fitted with 17 inch Dunlop tyres and my examples do seem to roll remarkably well, better even than the Michelins fitted to a similarly sized and weight hire car I used extensively last month. If it not the tyres then I'm not sure why my car's coasting performance appears so good.

Eco mode will really only be of benefit in the city if you are capable of almost superhuman anticipatory skills (like me.....joking). Most of the time you will be better off in normal mode and using the low engine braking to get 'free' no consumption distance covered. If I get it right then I'll get 60+mpg in urban traffic while my wife would only get about 40 mpg in similar circumstances.

Start a consumption log in fuelly.com or something similar and compare real consumption against the on-board computer.

Test the speedo accuracy. On the hire car I mentioned I set the cruise to a speedo indicated speed of 70 mph on an open empty bit of highway then reset the 'this trip' average and it showed an average of speed of only 63mph.

Not saying yours will be as bad but if you are not achieving the speed you think then your consumption should a lot better than it is, in my opinion.

I know its not a 1.4tsi but recenly in my TDI VRS I achieved 1001km between fillups (52.65l) and that was not trying to be economical, just normal driving through traffic with a mix of (60/40) highway / town driving over a period of a week.

20171102_172607.jpg

1 hour ago, Gadget007 said:

I know its not a 1.4tsi but recenly in my TDI VRS I achieved 1001km between fillups (52.65l) and that was not trying to be economical, just normal driving through traffic with a mix of (60/40) highway / town driving over a period of a week.

20171102_172607.jpg

A really good effort but you realise your OBC is out by 0.6L/100 compared to real consumption of 5.26L/100 (53.7 mpg)

6 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

A really good effort but you realise your OBC is out by 0.6L/100 compared to real consumption of 5.26L/100 (53.7 mpg)

I am aware of the discrepancy between the calculated and actual fuel consumption 

I have my car in Individual mode (sport everything except aircon) most of the time and am surprised that the coasting light still comes on when easing off the acceleration. I'm sure my previous 2016 model 2.0TDi DSG didn't do this.

I tested this today and coasting comes on in all modes

1 hour ago, YMe said:

I have my car in Individual mode (sport everything except aircon) most of the time and am surprised that the coasting light still comes on when easing off the acceleration. I'm sure my previous 2016 model 2.0TDi DSG didn't do this.

I use the same settings and mine does not coast unless in ECO mode. Even individual with Eco for engine doesn't coast. This is on a pre-facelift.

1 hour ago, YMe said:

I'd take it back to the dealers as its broke, your car should only coast when its in Eco Mode for a manual or when the DSG is showing E for the gear numbers on the Maxidot.

25 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I use the same settings and mine does not coast unless in ECO mode. Even individual with Eco for engine doesn't coast. This is on a pre-facelift.

Oh well its broke then, mine coast when the DSG is in Eco whatever the mode.

Ps. the car will not coast if when you lift off the car's speed exceeds 80mph

6 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I'd take it back to the dealers as its broke, your car should only coast when its in Eco Mode for a manual or when the DSG is showing E for the gear numbers on the Maxidot.

Oh well its broke then, mine coast when the DSG is in Eco whatever the mode.

Ps. the car will not coast if when you lift off the car's speed exceeds 80mph

But you also have a facelift don't you. I think that's the point being made, YMe had a pre-facelift which didn't unless in ECO whereas the facelift does as long as the gearbox is in ECO but not necessarily the whole car

I think the new Continental PremiumContact 6's have caused a slight decrease in economy. First brim to brim yesterday since I had these fitted and it looks like it's dropped from 35 to 32 mpg for identical driving on my usual roads. Could be because of all the new tread adding resistance/weight and I'm hoping it will settle back with wear.

It's been a long while since I bothered with Eco or Sport mode. Normal with S gearbox (DSG) selection or manual are all I find I need to use.

Edited by Pilotguy