2011 Elegance 1.2 Tsi - any issues?

guineapig

Read the thread down the page.

Nightmare Engine vRS Replacement'.

That is a member with a Skoda Warranty bought for £404, and the cheeky barstewards say 'fault before warranty bought', 

well they know that, as with Timing Chain issues, possible fault already present.

You have to watch T&C's right enough, and Mis-Sellers of Financial Products.

Extended Warranty from ŠKODA Insurance – putting ŠKODA into your insurance..mhtml

Yep that's dealer resealing on the chain cover. So its been off for something, probably chain changed.

Did you say you have chain rattle on start up?

You need to find out when the chain was changed, as the repair may be covered by a 2 year warranty (if money changed hands), and it would also suggest they used the old cam chain kit which you would give you a case against Skoda.

Edited by xman

Regarding extended warranty, I had the chain changed and ignition lead/failures fixed over one year out of warranty. Still got them done for less than a two year extended skoda warranty would have cost. Remember they will also screw you on full services/mot failures/made up repairs (eg discs/pads/wheel bearings) during the extended period.

Just press for goodwill.

They do have tons of get out clauses (e.g. wear and tear etc.....)

Plus if you pay for repairs (in part or full) you get 2 years unlimited mileage warranty on those repairs. Under the extended warranty, when it runs out that's it - no more warranty, just like with the standard manufacturers warranty.

I have never at any time been offered extended warranty either when buying new skodas or any time after. Just a lame service plan that was more expensive than just pay as you go.

8 minutes ago, xman said:

Regarding extended warranty, I had the chain changed and ignition lead/failures fixed over one year out of warranty. Still got them done for less than a two year extended skoda warranty would have cost. Remember they will also screw you on full services/mot failures/made up repairs (eg discs/pads/wheel bearings) during the extended period.

Just press for goodwill.

They do have tons of get out clauses (e.g. wear and tear etc.....)

Plus if you pay for repairs (in part or full) you get 2 years unlimited mileage warranty on those repairs. Under the extended warranty, when it runs out that's it - no more warranty, just like with the standard manufacturers warranty.

I have never at any time been offered extended warranty either when buying new skodas or any time after. Just a lame service plan that was more expensive than just pay as you go.

Thanks  Xman - would a change of timing chain / goodwill apply to the car even though it’s 6 years old and bought privately?

I was originally going to take the car to an independent mechanic (deals a lot with Skodas) to get this done / looked at, but would it be worth dropping it into the local Skoda dealership?

might have to go further afield as this will be the first car I haven’t bought off them for a good 10 years or so.

If you pay any part of the parts you have 2 years warranty on parts. 

That does not extend to the labour unless someone has that in writing someplace.

The Dealership should be guaranteeing their work though for who ever it is done for, private individuals or a Warranty Company.

Skoda Approved Warranty by Car Care ltd for 2 years used to be offered to some as well as Service Plans as the Manufacturers Warranty & Skoda Assist expired, 

that is no more, just this now, or the Extending of 1 or 2 years before a new car is first registered.

Extended Warranty from ŠKODA Insurance – putting ŠKODA into your insurance..mhtml

Extended warranty - ŠKODA.mhtml

Edited by Headinawayoffski

3 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

If you pay any part of the parts you have 2 years warranty on parts. 

That does not extend to the labour unless someone has that in writing someplace.

Not according to my dealer who several times say parts and labour is covered.

9 minutes ago, guineapig said:

Thanks  Xman - would a change of timing chain / goodwill apply to the car even though it’s 6 years old and bought privately?

I was originally going to take the car to an independent mechanic (deals a lot with Skodas) to get this done / looked at, but would it be worth dropping it into the local Skoda dealership?

might have to go further afield as this will be the first car I haven’t bought off them for a good 10 years or so.

You haven't bought the car yet, and haven't established you even have a problem. You are jumping the gun?

But if you end up with a problem then it all depends on the dealer, and how forceful and prepared with facts. Some (not many) dealers are good and on occasion Skoda uk has changed the chain without much argument. It helps if you have full skoda service history...

10 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Good, they will have a leaflet showing that then, once you have in writing you are sorted.

Skoda site - maintenance

"All our parts and labour come with two years warranty too."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, xman said:

Yep that's dealer resealing on the chain cover. So its been off for something, probably chain changed.

Did you say you have chain rattle on start up?

You need to find out when the chain was changed, as the repair may be covered by a 2 year warranty (if money changed hands), and it would also suggest they used the old cam chain kit which you would give you a case against Skoda.

Yes I do have the chain rattle on start up, is the warranty from repairs only applicable on the dealer that made the repairs?

11 minutes ago, xman said:

You haven't bought the car yet, and haven't established you even have a problem. You are jumping the gun?

But if you end up with a problem then it all depends on the dealer, and how forceful and prepared with facts. Some (not many) dealers are good and on occasion Skoda uk has changed the chain without much argument. It helps if you have full skoda service history...

Good point! :-D

Service wise, the car as had all Services bar the last one at a dealer. The last one was done at the independent Garage along with its last MOT.

Im going for another look and Saturday, so all the information given here should be invaluable in checking it out. I’ll probably pop into the dealers to see if they have any details of warranty work on the car if they’ll give it to me.

I have two codes on my spare tire well, one is for the turbo shim and the other one I can't find any info about it online and made a post about it recently but no one replied, could it be for the chain ? anyway it's this one gUUGcnS.jpg

21 hours ago, xman said:

No but a skoda dealer parts dept will tell you. Personally I tend to use carparts4less.co.uk (in the uk) just enter vehicle details....

Just noticed that the picture on eurocarparts shows the lead set with trunking AND a new lead clip. Those lazy ******s at my dealer must have thrown it away......grrrr.......

409445460.jpg

Thanks a lot xman, i found it ! I m having oil change next week and will also have these fitted