Intermittent tappet like noise

Lozb

I've owned my mk II VRS TSI DSG for 4 weeks and about 1000 miles.  It has 53k on the clock and a full Skoda service history with last oil change was about 5k miles ago.

On 3 occasions Ive noticed a significant tappet like noise coming from the top end of the engine.  It disappears if you rev higher or switch engine off for a few mins and then restart.  Car performs well and there are no warning lights and most of the time it runs quietly as normal.  It sounds like a sticking tappet or a hydraulic tappet suffering from oil starvation.

Any ideas? What should I do next (if anything)?  Garage says warrantee won't cover it unless they can hear the problem themselves.  On the last occasion I recorded it on my phone but apparently that's not sufficient evidence for them to investigate.

If it is the rapid tap tap tap that eventually cycles in and out and disappears on blipping throttle or restart it is normal injector noise.

Mine does it, a friends q5 does it, i have heard a golf mk6 gti do it.

Post the noise file here or Pm me if you want me to check.

If it's quite loud, changes are it's the evap purge valve; this makes a simple loud 'tick tick tick tick' sound.  Perfectly normal. Record and pop it on YouTube for us to listen to :)

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 1

Interesting.

I think a Skoda mechanic once told me it was the injectors. But the cycling in and out never made much sense to me. Maybe it is the purge valve and solenoid.  Does that repeatedly open and close more than once a second?   I'll have to have a closer listen next time the bonnet is up but when I have tried in the past it was hard to pin point.

What ever it is, if it is the noise the OP is referring to, I agree normal. 

Per the OP description, the noise my car makes does indeed sound quite a lot like cars that I have owned many years ago, when the tappets needed the clearances adjusted. Edit: not an issue now with hydraulic tappets.... But it comes and goes, which does seem a bit more consistent with an evap valve. 

Edited by TheClient

5 hours ago, Wino said:

Never heard a purge valve make a noise on either of ours cars, but here's a youtube demo of noise/no noise; is that the right noise?

Thanks for the responses.

The noise in this video is exactly what mine sounds like. 

So what exactly is an evaporator purge valve and why have I had this noise on only 3 occasions but not all the time? 

Is the answer to replace it or ignore it and carry on?

thanks

Purge valve is what connects the charcoal canister to the inlet manifold in a carefully controlled (by engine ECU) way to clear out the fuel vapours which it adsorbs, to prevent them being released into the atmosphere. Your preferred search engine probably knows a lot more about it. It's not an evaporator purge valve, it's an EVAP purge valve. Can't recall what EVAP is an acronym for.

No idea what makes one noisy nor whether it matters in any way other than the noise annoyance.

Yep, that is pretty much the sound on my car but it is not constant. It cycles in and out. As have others I have heard.   Personally, if it is not throwing codes I'd leave it. As stated, I've heard heaps of EA888 CCZ engines in 3 different VAG marques all with sub 40k miles all make the same noise.