15" alloys (with winter tyres) on a Mk2 Octavia vRS??

Hi,

I'm trawling the forum for advice on winter tyres.

I have found some 195.65 r15 winter tyres for sale on Audi alloys.  They are 5x112 so will fit the hub.

Question: Are they big enough for the disc brakes on my Mk2 Octavia vRS and are they going to look ridiculous!?

Thanks!

Edited by intheshed
Typo

Ive got 16" Steelies on my VRS for winter, because the sidewall is quite big compared to the 18"s it has as standard i hardly notice potholes or poor tarmac and they still seem to grip and handle nearly as well as my alloys, 16" is the bare minimum to clear the calipers too

I had 16" steelies on the VRS with no issues. I took them off and got a new set of 16" alloys. I need to get rid of the steelies as they are taking up garage space.

205x55x16 tyres are excellent in the winter weather and have virtually the same rolling circumference so the speedo reading is ok.

24 minutes ago, Gissin said:

just be aware with Audi alloys you might need spigot rings too

I had a feeling things were going too well! I'll google spigot rings, but can anyone recommend a donor vehicle with 16" alloys that would be a straight swap?

1 hour ago, intheshed said:

I had a feeling things were going too well! I'll google spigot rings, but can anyone recommend a donor vehicle with 16" alloys that would be a straight swap?

I wouldn't worry too much theyre not expensive

VW - mk5/6 golf alsoPassat, Touran  (and possibly Tiguan) provided offset is OK as for all below too

Audi - A3,  TT, also A4 and A6

SEAT - new shape Leon, Altea, Toledo, also Alhambra

SKODA - Octavia II also Superb and Yeti

All these cars have a PCD of 5x112 and centre bore of 57.1mm. Anything in that fitting with an offset in the range ET35 to ET50 will be fine depending on the wheel width

be careful as most aftermarket wheels need tapered bolts as opposed to the radiused bolts that OEM wheels use.

www.willtheyfit.com

Edited by Gissin

That's great, thanks very much indeed.

I've just seen a set on ebay for a Passat which are 5x112 and reasonably local to me.  I'm assuming the centre caps are interchangeable!  If not I'll be stencilling Skoda badges on to them!

9 minutes ago, paddypaws said:

I've got a set of Audi A4 alloys from a car about 10 years old on ebay. PCD of 5x112 and centre bore of 57.1mm ET42. Perfect for 205/55 R16 tyres, straight swap and perfect fit.

PM sent

On 20/11/2017 at 17:12, paddypaws said:

I've got a set of Audi A4 alloys from a car about 10 years old on ebay. PCD of 5x112 and centre bore of 57.1mm ET42. Perfect for 205/55 R16 tyres, straight swap and perfect fit.

Think I might have found a similar set here in Plymouth. 16" Audi alloys about 10 years old which (from comparison on the internet) look like they are from an A4.  This makes them 57.1 centre bore and 5x112 PCD (perfect for the vRS) ......I've tried copying various PCD measurement techniques from google but can't figure this out at all.  Fortunately the seller has kindly 'leant' me a wheel to try on my vRS tomorrow.

The markings on the inside state as follows:

7Jx16H2....again, I think this is OK for the vRS

ET 44.5.....My only concern here is that the ET for the vRS is 54 and I'm reading that is important not to "deviate too much from the original off set" ......trouble is I have NO bloody idea what this means and therefore do not know what "too much" might mean!  

I feel that I am nearly there in this saga, but would appreciate any last advice so that I don't end up with an interesting collection of alloys in my garage!

7x16 ET45 will be perfect.  If it's a 66.6 centrebore (possible) you can get plastic 66.6/57.1 hub rings for not much money (GBP10).

Your rim will poke 3mm more and have 15mm extra clearance away from the strut leg which is fine.

I'd run a 215/55r16 tyre

• 3 weeks later...