Superb 2.0 TSI Estate

Hi All,

I bought a very nice Superb 2.0 petrol estate about a month ago. It is excellent with no issues so to speak. I started out looking for a 3.6, but felt the 2.0 offered nearly everything I wanted (including the 4 exhausts!)

It drives really well. I was hoping for a manual, but soon realised that the engine I wanted only came with DSG. This has actually proven to be excellent so far and I am not missing a manual box, which is surprising =.

I am planning to remap/ chip it fairly soon. My local garage is offering a "DPT" box for a good price, (248bhp) - I had one on my Seat Alhambra 2.0PD, which was great, but I'm also interested in the Shark Re-map (250 bhp), having seen good feedback on here. Has anyone got any experience of this engine with either on this car they could advise me on.

Finally (and I posted elsewhere on another thread) - I would like some advice on updating the Columbus system. The Skoda website says it can be done only at service after I type in my vin? Is this correct? Is there anyone nearby (Derby) who could help? I have access to borrow a Skoda maps SD from a brand new Octavia, but wonder if this has to be in the car for it to work, or if data could be downloaded.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 2

Avoid any plug-in boxes. They're designed to fool the ECU by messing with sensor data so that it pushes more fuel. A proper remap from a competent tuner is a much better option for reliability and performance.

Chances are the SD card from your friend's Octavia won't be any use. The Columbus in the Superb 2 is not able to run map or firmware updates from an SD card: it must be a DVD, and the DVD has to be specifically for the RNS-510 Columbus. There is a hack out there to allow you load the maps from an SD card, which I've used successfully myself on two occasions, but it is known for causing trouble. Keep an eye on the classifieds here: you might find someone selling the DVD.

Be interesting to hear how a remap is on your superb.

i also have the Mk2 2.0 TSI estate and have been thinking about the upgrade.  How much extra torque can the  dsq take?

I updated my maps using the SD hack and had no issues.

I’m booked in to Shark tomorrow lunch time. I took the plunge with a 30% off Black Friday offer.

Whilst I’m really happy with the car, having chipped/ remapped 2 of my last 3 cars with fantastic results both for economy and driveability, I felt it would still be worth it. I had promised myself that if I didn’t get a 3.6, I would Remap the 2.0, giving me everything I wanted but the noise!!

The best chip I ever had was the first on a Volvo V40 1.9D 115bhp... it made 60-65mpg a regular reality having previously done 50-55mpg, but also transformed the performance.

we will see what Shark can do...

In fact - to be rolled back another week or so I think... I love the car as is, but we have a close friend of Mr.Shark in the office at work who will not stop telling me how great a job they do...

Winter tyres going on in the morning...

• Thanks 1

Maps now updated... load of hassle, 10+ attempts gave up hope but left disc in machine as it lost the original maps...and needed the disc to work...only to find it did randomly update successfully while my wife had the car at work...result! The local Little chef that shut down 7 years ago has now gone from the POIs and the map now matches reality!!

Now to work out the logic of the SD card - some songs work, some don’t - no apparent differences.

Remap paid for and planned in next 2 weeks...

The media player only supports certain formats, and with certain characteristics:

From the manual*:

Data names must be no longer than 64 characters.

The list structure is restricted to a depth of 8 list levels.

The name of the artist, the album and the title of the played MP3 file can be displayed if such information is available as ID3 tags, as they are known. The list and data name will be displayed if there is no ID3 tag.

WMA (Windows Media Audio) files can also be played if they are not additionally protected by the DRM (Digital Rights Management) copyright procedure. Such WMA data is not supported by the unit.

The operation and behaviour of playable WMA files conform to those of the MP3 files and will not be described here further.

Bit rate (data flow per time unit)

The system supports MP3 data with bit rates of 32 to 320 KB/s as well as MP3 data with variable bit rates.

The indicated playing time data with variable bit rates is not reliable

*http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/superb-3t.aspx

Select your production date range from the drop down menu and you can download the appropriate manual for your system.

10 hours ago, JamesBrown said:

Maps now updated... load of hassle, 10+ attempts gave up hope but left disc in machine as it lost the original maps...and needed the disc to work...only to find it did randomly update successfully while my wife had the car at work...result! The local Little chef that shut down 7 years ago has now gone from the POIs and the map now matches reality!!

Now to work out the logic of the SD card - some songs work, some don’t - no apparent differences.

Remap paid for and planned in next 2 weeks...

I really need to get this done...did you use the Octavia update CD?

Also, if your remap doesn't happen or you decide you could talk to Statller Power Developments in Sheffield. That's where I've had my 3.6 v6 serviced and worked on at least @bonelorry's Golf R and Golf Edition 30. They also have a Golf with around 650bhp so can probably advise on getting a little more boost... ;)

Cheers,

Steve

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chimaera said:

The media player only supports certain formats, and with certain characteristics:

From the manual*:

*http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/superb-3t.aspx

Select your production date range from the drop down menu and you can download the appropriate manual for your system.

Thanks for this. I see what’s happened - I tunes has turned most of my music into I4a files from the MP3 I downloaded them as. 

Now to change them back!

13 hours ago, spk said:

I really need to get this done...did you use the Octavia update CD?

Also, if your remap doesn't happen or you decide you could talk to Statller Power Developments in Sheffield. That's where I've had my 3.6 v6 serviced and worked on at least @bonelorry's Golf R and Golf Edition 30. They also have a Golf with around 650bhp so can probably advise on getting a little more boost... ;)

Cheers,

Steve

I bought an operating disc 5238 and latest maps from someone called automaticuk on eBay. First part was quick and easy, second part, I nearly gave up on! But it did somehow eventually work. I’d normally say I’d lend the disc as you are local, but I can’t promise results!

• 2 weeks later...

As an update... I used maniactools to convert all my files back to MP3. I now have a nice full 32gb SD card and have transferred some to the car HDD. Works beautifully.

The Shark Remap is also in place. First impressions are fantastic, though I haven’t been far with it. The car behaves exactly as before in normal driving (which is what I wanted) and but gives much more lovely smooth, rapid power if you need it. Very impressed.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 21:46, JamesBrown said:

Hi All,

I bought a very nice Superb 2.0 petrol estate about a month ago. It is excellent with no issues so to speak. I started out looking for a 3.6, but felt the 2.0 offered nearly everything I wanted (including the 4 exhausts!)

It drives really well. I was hoping for a manual, but soon realised that the engine I wanted only came with DSG. This has actually proven to be excellent so far and I am not missing a manual box, which is surprising =.

I am planning to remap/ chip it fairly soon. My local garage is offering a "DPT" box for a good price, (248bhp) - I had one on my Seat Alhambra 2.0PD, which was great, but I'm also interested in the Shark Re-map (250 bhp), having seen good feedback on here. Has anyone got any experience of this engine with either on this car they could advise me on.

Finally (and I posted elsewhere on another thread) - I would like some advice on updating the Columbus system. The Skoda website says it can be done only at service after I type in my vin? Is this correct? Is there anyone nearby (Derby) who could help? I have access to borrow a Skoda maps SD from a brand new Octavia, but wonder if this has to be in the car for it to work, or if data could be downloaded.

Thanks for reading.

I've only just noticed this thread, so it's too late to offer any advice but I bought my Superb 2.0 TSi in Feb. 2013 & had it remapped by AMD Racing about 6 weeks later. It's not always my daily driver but I've put about 21K miles on it since & I'm very happy with the performance & economy.

FWIW I've just checked the current long-term fuel consumption (from the Maxidot......) & over 89.24 hours / 2735 miles it showing 36.8 mpg.

I've never measured the performance figures but it's quite nippy. We've been to Germany & Austria in it & 90 - 105 mph cruising is a doddle, if overtaking is called for then a quick paddle down to 5th does the job without going into the red zone. If trying a "rapid departure" in S rather than D 

then the front wheels can scrabble a bit but otherwise the DSG holds the upshifts to approx 6.5K rpm. 

It's still a very useful car & 'tis fun if only 'cos it's a bit of a sleeper....... AMD managed to find 249 bhp, up from 212 bhp & 266 lb/ft, up from 214 lb/ft.

FWIW, SWMBO treated her Octy 2 Facelift to a a trip to AMD about 2 months later, & that found 257 bhp & 298 lb/ft, with good economy too.

The Golf R is quicker & doesn't do wheelspin, but 31/32 mpg is about the best we can average.

When we bought the EOS it was 4 years old & a bit under the weather, but AMD worked their magic on it & it now makes 250 bhp & 284 lb/ft.

Most importantly, all the older cars made 200/205 bhp circa 4K rpm with more torque everywhere, which makes them all very easy to live with in traffic but with a surprising, & maybe unexpected turn of speed when the red mist descends.....

I can't advise you re. mapping upgrades, a local dealer did the Superb 2 years ago & I've not bothered with the EOS, it's used as the local runabout &/or the weekend car. 

HTH, DC.

On 11/20/2017 at 21:46, JamesBrown said:

• 3 months later...
On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 23:45, old newbie2 said:

Also a fan of AmD in Essex my VRS245 Octavia went from 248 to 302 bhp and torque from 294lb/ft to 345lb/ft (395NM to 467NM) and despite official 42,8mpg combined figure for my car got 46mpg on the return journey. Absolutely astonishing performance now and recent trip to Germany saw a very easy 165mph on the digital speedo and could have gone faster but Toyota SUV driver pulled out in front of me without looking in their mirror! Highly recommend Ben and all the guys there as they really know their stuff.

• Haha 1

I’m a few months in with the Shark Remap and have been across Germany as far as a brief drive over the Czech Republic border. 

As far as I can tell, over all conditions fuel economy is no better and no worse. I drive calmly most of the time, but like to have the grunt available when needed. On balance I’m very pleased with the results, well worth the extra performance, and no apparent issues or downsides to date. 

Acceleration is very strong at high Autobahn speeds even 5 up with luggage. Car is smooth and composed and wonderfully understated. 

The car was being admired by someone near the Czech border, which was nice, though he was telling me in broken English that my car was the 300ps model, which was near enough I suppose!! Even there, where 1 in 3 cars seems to be a Skoda I failed to find another Superb mk2 with quad pipes!